Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #16
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
So here is the KoboRoot.tgz (inside of the zip file) with the touch events.
I do not know which configuration changes you already did with KSM. Chances are that now, after you copy this KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo, you will see a new entry "handle your updates" in the KSM main menu. If so, select "handle your update" and then "install update."
Attached Files
File Type: zip pressdata_h20.zip (3.8 KB, 203 views)
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
Ecallan
Ecallan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Yes, I've enabled telnet on my PC so at least I got that right!

I'll install the telnet package now. I did install it earlier today, but I think Kobo did an update since then. The telnet should be installed to .kobo if I understand correctly.

Yes indeed NaturallySpeaking would normally be preferable but it really needs a lot of RAM. I'm trying to think ahead for my intended usage on an Intel Compute USB stick. Incidentally with the USB stick, I will need to integrate a microphone. I haven't checked this out yet.

I think I occupied your whole day on this project. What can I do to show my appreciation. Any plans to come to Ireland? Where do you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
It seems you had a great day!

I thought Nuance NaturallySpeaking would be preferable, since you are already used to it. I did however not think about the resources it needs. I will play around a little more with the Microsoft Windows 10 inbuilt voice recognition.

Since you installed it already, it might make things easier on the way.

Which files? Do you mean the files that contain the recorded touch events? You need those created by Frostschutz for the H20. Wait a moment. I will pack them into a KoboRoot.tgz so that you can install them.
In the meantime you could install the telnet packaged I linked to above (here is the link again.). Is telnet enabled on your PC? One has to go into the settings and enable it (it is disabled by default).
Ecallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #18
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecallan View Post
I'll install the telnet package now. I did install it earlier today, but I think Kobo did an update since then. The telnet should be installed to .kobo if I understand correctly.
This is correct.

Quote:
Yes indeed NaturallySpeaking would normally be preferable but it really needs a lot of RAM. I'm trying to think ahead for my intended usage on an Intel Compute USB stick. Incidentally with the USB stick, I will need to integrate a microphone. I haven't checked this out yet.
I think it is feasible to open a web page that shows buttons "next page," "previous page," and so on and control the Kobo device in this way. With the Microsoft speech recognition it is possible to "press" this buttons. I think this approach is much more robust and reliable than using vbscript together with telnet. I will report when I have some results.

Quote:
I think I occupied your whole day on this project. What can I do to show my appreciation.
Do not worry about this. You are welcome.

As for KSM, did you already the following?
Code:
select "tools" > "activate" > "set runmenu settings.msh" > "always"
Otherwise the behaviour might be a little confusing.
If you get difficulties starting nickel (the original Kobo GUI), you can try starting it by selecting:
Code:
tools > nickel diverse.msh > start nickel no fmon.sh
You will not necessarily meet this problem. I am just saying it in case it is happening. When starting nickel in this way you cannot exit back to KSM, but have to reboot.
In case your device downloads a kobo update, you will find in the KSM main menu the entry "handle update", select it and then "install partial update," rather than "install update." This will install the update without disabling KSM.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #19
Ecallan

Hi

I think I've installed all files that should be necessary. I've restarted my kobo e-reader and plugged in my USB lead and then clicked connect. All I can see is a black screen with the image of the computer and the line connected to the image of the reader. I've tried executing/running kobo_voice_control.vbs and then using my NaturallySpeaking with commands such as "open main menu", "next page" etc but it doesn't seem to do anything on the kobo reader. I must either have the incorrect files installed, files installed in the wrong folder or something else. Should I have kobo_voice_control.vbs on the kobo reader itself or just on my PC?

As I mentioned earlier, perhaps it would be best if you could connect to my PC via teamviewer or perhaps logmein to check out my setup. Otherwise, or in addition maybe we could speak via Skype. my Skype user ID is eugenecallan. I think going to finish off for tonight and retry again tomorrow. It must be frustrating for you to be working remotely like this.

Eugene
Old 08-06-2017, 05:15 AM   #20
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
All I can see is a black screen with the image of the computer and the line connected to the image of the reader.
I don't know about the other things, but you're probably not supposed to go into USB storage mode (select Charge instead of Connect). Before I found this thread you also contacted me by email, but I assume tshering got you covered now. My approach would certainly have been lazier than his

@tshering: let me know if you need help with the web page idea, it could be done with my webportal mod, but I guess you already got something of the like in your start menu collection...

Last edited by frostschutz; 08-06-2017 at 05:18 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #21
Ecallan

Thank you @frostschutz, @tshering is it is done and is doing a fantastic piece of work in getting me sorted with voice page turning. I'm not there yet, but certainly making progress. I did not intend to get to people to work on the same thing. I had been putting out the details of my quest in a number of places and seeing if I could get a response or traction anywhere. Tshering was the first person to be of real help.

Eugene
Old 08-06-2017, 07:31 AM   #22
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
@tshering: let me know if you need help with the web page idea, it could be done with my webportal mod, but I guess you already got something of the like in your start menu collection...
Thank you for your offer. I definitely would appreciate your help in several aspects. I will get back to your offer a little later, when I have some more specific questions.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #23
tshering
Wizard

@Ecallan
I hope you can still use your reader for reading, even though you did install KSM.
Just to give you some information on he current situation: I can now control the reader from the web browser of my pc. With the Windows inbuilt speech recognition I can press the bottoms of the web page when I use Microsoft Edge as browser. I have to establish the connection via usbnet. I know, I said we can use in the beginning wifi instead of usbnet. But it turned out, I have currently a problem with wifi on my kobo, and do not want to spend time with this problem now. In the end we would have to change to usbnet anyway.
Therefore, I would like to ask you to prepare your pc for usbnet. Unfortunately, I cannot give you step by step instructions (I did it myself only once.) Take as a starter this post. There is no need for hurry. I will need some time to prepare the other things anyway.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #24
Ecallan

Ok, I'll work on preparing my pc for usbnet.

Yes I can still access/use my e-reader by selecting nickel on the KSM menu.

Incidentally, just for info, I did this instruction and rebooted the e-reader.
select "tools" > "activate" > "set runmenu settings.msh" > "always"

I didn't do anything else in the tools section, although I see an item called enable USB and enable USBnet which I expect will be needed at some stage.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #25
Ecallan

Hi

Just a question about USBnet. I followed the link and also checked other links but the USBnet instructions seem to relate to and require a jailbroken Kindle. Am I misunderstanding this?
Old 08-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #26
Ecallan

Okay, I went ahead with the instructions for preparing my PC for USBnet.
In Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections I have this:

Ethernet 6
Unidentified network
Kindle USB RNDIS Device (USBNetwork enabled)

is that everything correct?
Old 08-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #27
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Okay, I went ahead with the instructions for preparing my PC for USBnet.
In Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections I have this:

Ethernet 6
Unidentified network
Kindle USB RNDIS Device (USBNetwork enabled)

is that everything correct?
I think you made it work. Great.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #28
Ecallan

I know that you are working on a web page option for voice control.

Just to let you know that I tried having USBnet enabled on my e-reader and running kobo voice control. When I type or say a command such as "open main menu" I can see a Telnet 192.168.2.101screen with text reading saying connecting to 192.168.2.101... but doesn't go any further than that. When I say open main menu at the please speak or type command screen ie the auditory command back in my earpiece but it doesn't do anything.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #29
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I know that you are working on a web page option for voice control.

Just to let you know that I tried having USBnet enabled on my e-reader and running kobo voice control. When I type or say a command such as "open main menu" I can see a Telnet 192.168.2.101screen with text reading saying connecting to 192.168.2.101... but doesn't go any further than that. When I say open main menu at the please speak or type command screen ie the auditory command back in my earpiece but it doesn't do anything.
Could you make a test whether the usbnet works?
With USBNet enabled on the reader (it shows: "USBNet support: enabled"), open the "command prompt" on your pc and and execute the following line:
Code:
ping 192.168.2.101
If you are not familiar with the "command prompt", you can press the Windows symbol at the left bottom side of the screen, and type "command prompt." Or you can type "run," and type into the small "run" window the following:
Code:
cmd /K ping 192.168.2.101
What ever is easier. (I just say "tpye" instead of "type/speak")

If the usbnet works, you should see something like:
Code:
Pinging 192.168.2.101 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.2.101: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.2.101: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.101:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 7ms, Average = 1ms

The thing with the wbscript is not so important. I gave up on this part completely.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:35 PM   #30
tshering
Wizard

@Ecallan
Controlling the Kobo from a web browser works now. Controlling it by voice commands works from within windows internet explorer. Windows edge did not open the page at all (maybe some security problem, I did not investigate further into this). Apart from what is possible with the recorded touch events, I added "exit nickel" (this brings you back to KSM), "reboot," and "power off."
Currently it is still a little troublesome to start the thing. One has in KSM to enable USBnet, start the server, and then start nickel. Tomorrow night, I will try to simplify this process. Then you can start testing it (first of course usbnet has to work).

After some test period, we can add things and improve them.

Tags
disability, hands-free, voice, voice command