Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Favourites plugin (or one of its "members") crashing Calibre 1.5 and 1.6

I've moved all Calibre plugins to the menubar, and packed all externally installed plugins within the Favourites plugin. See the attachment for the installed plugins.

Since some time, Calibre is unstable: sometimes, when clicking the Favourites menu option, Calibre just crashes. It seems to happen completely randomly. I'm working with the program, and suddenly: *boom*.

Is there some sort of incompatibility I need to be aware of, such as one of the installed plugins not being capable to be included in Favourites or something? All plugins are the latest versions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plugins.png
Views:	337
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	113240  

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-13-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Is there some sort of incompatibility I need to be aware of, such as one of the installed plugins not being capable of be included in Favourites or something? All plugins are the latest versions.
There is no known incompatibility with the favourites plugin. I have been using it since it was first developed and it has always been rock solid using Calibre 64 or calibre 32bit via calibre portable.

Other plugins reside in my right click context menu.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	favorites.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	113244   Click image for larger version

Name:	right-click context menu.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	113245  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-13-2013 at 12:45 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
what DoctorOhh wrote - no problems here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	113248  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still, that does not mean that there isn't some sort of problem, or Calibre would not be crashing. I have just a default Calibre install, with plugins gotten from the Calibre Plugin Manager (apart from Alf's, of course), and I'm doing nothing weird.

The difference I'm seeing is that you are not using the menu, and I am. I think I'm going to shift everything back to the toolbar and set it to display text instead of icons.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Still, that does not mean that there isn't some sort of problem, or Calibre would not be crashing.
True, but it seems the problem may be limited to your unique setup.

Quote:
I have just a default Calibre install, with plugins gotten from the Calibre Plugin Manager (apart from Alf's, of course), and I'm doing nothing weird.
You don't need to do anything weird for anomalies to pop up. Many folks have reported weird things that a complete uninstall(including the settings)/reinstall has corrected. Sometimes things get corrupted.

Quote:
The difference I'm seeing is that you are not using the menu, and I am. I think I'm going to shift everything back to the toolbar and set it to display text instead of icons.
True I do not use the Menu bar.

Good Luck.
Advert
Old 10-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
You don't need to do anything weird for anomalies to pop up. Many folks have reported weird things that a complete uninstall(including the settings)/reinstall has corrected. Sometimes things get corrupted.
Did this already to try and fix the IndexError problem that crept into 1.6. (That will be fixed by the next release; not an installation problem.)

I'll go and remove/re-install the plugins one by one.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Did this already to try and fix the IndexError problem that crept into 1.6. (That will be fixed by the next release; not an installation problem.)

I'll go and remove/re-install the plugins one by one.
So you completely took your existing calibre settings folder out of the picture? You might try exiting calibre then rename the calibre settings folder (so you can quickly revert back to existing settings). Upon restarting calibre a fresh settings folder will be created.

Good Luck.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
So you completely took your existing calibre settings folder out of the picture? You might try exiting calibre then rename the calibre settings folder (so you can quickly revert back to existing settings). Upon restarting calibre a fresh settings folder will be created.

Good Luck.
I didn't yet replace the Settings folder. That is what I do last, because I don't want to go reconfigure everything if I don't have to.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I didn't yet replace the Settings folder. That is what I do last, because I don't want to go reconfigure everything if I don't have to.
So when you responded that you "Did this already to try and fix the IndexError problem that crept into 1.6." You didn't really Do this already, since my suggestion included uninstalling settings too.

If you are using Windows try Calibre portable as a starting point. This way you can leave your main setup alone.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Today I've had a crash again, with the buttons on the toolbar instead of in the menu.

I've renamed the Calibre settings folder to calibre.old, re-setup the program, re-installed all plugins (except Extract ISBN, because I never use it), and reconfigured the program. I'll see if this helps.

Strangly enough, Count Pages retained its settings. It seems not to store them in the Settings folder.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Today I've had a crash again, with the buttons on the toolbar instead of in the menu.

I've renamed the Calibre settings folder to calibre.old, re-setup the program, re-installed all plugins (except Extract ISBN, because I never use it), and reconfigured the program. I'll see if this helps.

Strangly enough, Count Pages retained its settings. It seems not to store them in the Settings folder.
Count pages is probably a split setting PI.
It needs to know the field(s) that are unique per library.
OTOH, how may have been saved in the settings folder
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Some settings are stored in the database(s) - if present have a look at a metadata_db_prefs_backup.json in one of your library folders

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I can report the same issue with the Favourites plugin.

Generally calibre has been far less stable since 1.0 though - for example I also frequently get crashes from calibre recyle.
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.burton4 View Post
Except the issue may not have been related to the Favorites plugin. The OP seems to have indicated in post 10 that he also had the reoccurring crash clicking on the items in the toolbar instead of the favourites menu.

Quote:
The Op's last post showed that he exited calibre renamed the settings folder and started with a fresh setup directory. He hasn't reported back. Hopefully he will have a chance today to update us and possibly assist you with his experience with a similar issue.

Quote:
Generally calibre has been far less stable since 1.0 though - for example I also frequently get crashes from calibre recyle.
Calibre has always been extremely stable for me. What exactly do you mean by you "frequently get crashes from calibre recyle"? I am unfamiliar with calibre recycle or that crash what exactly do you experience?

Also you said you experienced the same issue without giving us any details about your system or what you experience.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

1.x has been very stable on XP and W7, Ubuntu Saucy.
Most crashes in any version have been in QT modules
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote