Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
theengine
Enthusiast
theengine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Windows XP/Calibre does not detect Kindle

Hi,

My computer does not properly detect my Kindle. When you look in Explorer, my drive appears briefly, then disappears, then appears again and so on until I remove it.

Here is my information from Debug Device Detection in Calibre:

calibre 0.9.6
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 Windows
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.3
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Uniprocessor Free')
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid1106&pid3038&rev0081',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid1106&pid3038&rev0081',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid1106&pid3104&rev0086',
u'usb\\vid_045e&pid_0040&rev_0300',
u'usb\\vid_05e3&pid_0608&rev_0901']
Unable to get free space for drive: A
(21, 'GetDiskFreeSpaceEx', 'The device is not ready.')
Drives detected:
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
Cannot detect MTP devices
MTP devices are not supported on Windows XP

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None

Can any one offer a solution or advice.

Thanks
theengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theengine View Post
My computer does not properly detect my Kindle. When you look in Explorer, my drive appears briefly, then disappears, then appears again and so on until I remove it.

Can any one offer a solution or advice.
You haven't said what kind of Kindle you have, but from your description the Operating System is having problems with detecting the device. Until it can be seen reliably by your OS calibre doesn't have a chance of seeing it.

As an aside if your OS does see the device then you can go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugins and make sure the device plugin for your kindle is enabled.

If your device is a Kindle Fire HD then your XP machine will not be able to connect to it via MTP. Go here for further info.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
theengine
Enthusiast

You haven't said what kind of Kindle you have,

It is a Kindle Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Hi,

calibre 0.9.6
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 Windows
(...)
Drives detected:
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
Cannot detect MTP devices
MTP devices are not supported on Windows XP
Don't know if you can change the connection type in the settings of the Kindle - don't have any myself.
Your problem seems to be the lack of MTP support in XP. Installing windows media player 10 on XP should solve that.

Google "mtp driver xp"
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Don't know if you can change the connection type in the settings of the Kindle - don't have any myself.
Your problem seems to be the lack of MTP support in XP. Installing windows media player 10 on XP should solve that.

Google "mtp driver xp"
Only the Fire HD is an MTP device; the older Kindles are not, and his is one of those. So the lack of MTP support in Calibre on XP can't be the problem.

It does look like even Windows has a problem seeing it. To the OP: does your Kindle get a drive letter under Windows, and if so, does it actually work as a drive?

I'm betting the answer to either question is 'no'.

Try rebooting the Kindle, and if that doesn't fix it, a factory reset.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Is the Kindle driver enabled in plugins? Goto Preferences | Advanced | Plugins | Device Interface Plugins and ensure that the various Kindle plugins are enabled (not sure which one you do need).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
theengine
Enthusiast

Thanks to all who have offered help. I think I have fixed the problem.

Firstly, I have windows Media player 11.0.5721.5280 installed. When windows briefly detects the drive, it allocates it as "F" before losing it again, then detecting it again and loosing it again and so in a everlasting loop. Plugin is enabled in Calibre.

I had one of these multiple USP port things: one USP plug into a UBB 2 port at the back of the PC, which then divides into 4. When I remove that and plug the Kindle into the PC direct, all seems to work well.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I had one of these multiple USP port things: one USP plug into a UBB 2 port at the back of the PC, which then divides into 4. When I remove that and plug the Kindle into the PC direct, all seems to work well.
So you've solved it. Try a USB hub with its own power supply and you should be good to go.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-16-2012 at 04:28 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
When buying a Powered USB Hub, pay attention to the power adapter, many are under powered.

the power adapter needs the 5V OUTPUT to have at least .5A (or 500mA) per USB 2.0 Port if you are charging or running anything like a disks, just to be safe .
4 ports = 2.0 A (2000 mA)
keyboards, mice take very little.

BTW Windows (XP) device manager can report 'USB root hub' port loads.
In the device manager: find a root hub: Properties: Look on the 'Power' tab (Not Power Management)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote