Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #1
angarato_surion
angarato_surion began at the beginning.

Device: PC, Galaxy note 8 (Wifi Version) , Galaxy S4
calibre library is the same with direcotry to auto add

What happens if the directory to add ebooks from is the same with the calibre library?
angarato_surion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by angarato_surion View Post
What happens if the directory to add ebooks from is the same with the calibre library?
Interesting question

I think it depends on your duplicate handling when adding.

Overwrite/Ignore: it will keep on adding the existing books, detect them as duplicates and effectively toss them away again. This goes on forever.

Create new record: adds the existing books to the existing library, which grows exponentially. This goes on until your disk space runs out.

Or does the autoadd not descend into subdirs? I don't remember. In that case, nothing happens, as there are no books in the top directory of a library.

I'm not going to try it
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not very good things (if Kovid did not trap it already)

The AutoAdd folder should NEVER intersect with a 'Known Library" (any of those on the switch list). Of coarse, there is no clean way to trap any 'unknown Library' (not on the list).
If you need to Merge, select the books in Calibre and use the context menu: Copy To Library (<optional: delete <= 'Move'>).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The AutoAdd folder should NEVER intersect with a 'Known Library"
Hmm, I have always had mine as a directory called "@autoadd" inside my main Calibre library directory (named thus so that it comes out before all the author names when I list the directory), and it hasn't given me any trouble... (I suppose I should say "yet"...)
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
Hmm, I have mine as a directory "@autoadd" inside my main Calibre library directory (named thus so that it comes out before all the author names when I list the directory), and it hasn't given me any trouble...
You are bending the basic rule on not messing under the skirts inside a library
That folder probably will trip a message in "Check Library"

Auto Add is a 'Temp' folder. That is where I placed a FOLDER dedicated to Calibre-Add
Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #6
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You are bending the basic rule on not messing under the skirts inside a library
That folder probably will trip a message in "Check Library"
You're right. I suppose I'd better move it...
Old 05-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Phssthpok - FWIW - I keep my library folders, AutoAdd, PseudoDevice, UnderEdit and other ancillary folders in a common parent folder (D:\Calibre). Library names commence with an underscore '_' to group them at top of directory list.

I would advise against putting the AutoAdd folder in a designated temporary location such as %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp because tools such a CCleaner and MS Disk Cleanup will remove it if/when they are used. I'm not sure what calibre does if it can't find the designated AutoAdd folder.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just don't use auto-add. I just drag/drop and find it works no bother.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #9
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just don't use auto-add. I just drag/drop and find it works no bother.
I find an auto-add directory very handy as I can unzip into it and select only the format(s) I want out of the complete archive. I used to use "Add Books from archive" but had to open the archive anyway to find out whether it was "one book per directory" or not, and quite often I ended up in a mess with multiple unwanted formats which I then had to delete. And the alternative is to unzip somewhere else, drag/drop, and then delete.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Phssthpok - FWIW - I keep my library folders, AutoAdd, PseudoDevice, UnderEdit and other ancillary folders in a common parent folder (D:\Calibre).
Thanks, yes, that's what I've done -- I moved the library from Calibre to Calibre/Library, and left Calibre/@autoadd where it was.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #11
angarato_surion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
Thanks, yes, that's what I've done -- I moved the library from Calibre to Calibre/Library, and left Calibre/@autoadd where it was.
if someon just wants to create a database of ebooks what he must do ? (of course to not move them to any other folder:P)
Old 06-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
if someon just wants to create a database of ebooks what he must do ? (of course to not move them to any other folder:P)
Type them in by hand?
Obviously, you do not want to use Calibre's basic rules, so you choice is very limited.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
angarato_surion

also what a ebook managment software is good for ? you can literally keep them track in folders .. most apps will not sync until wich part did you read every book any way
Old 06-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #14
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
also what a ebook managment software is good for ? you can literally keep them track in folders .. most apps will not sync until wich part did you read every book any way
So...if I keep them in folders, how do I organize them? I could do it by author, but then if I want to find all of my mystery books, I won't be able to.

Ok...so I organize in folders by Genre, then. Hmmm...what if I want to find all books by a certain author?. Crap. That won't work, either.

I suppose you could decide to do genre-->author, and that would work for authors who only write in one genre...unfortunately, I have a few authors who write in multiple genres.

I also like the option to find all books in a particular series. How would that work if I'm using folders as my only organization?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote