Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #481
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now we just need the Calibre plugin updated.
Patience Padawan. It's not like the current plugin quit working all of a sudden.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-17-2013 at 08:17 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:36 AM   #482
siebert
Developer
siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.siebert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard) 3G / iPad 9 WiFi / Google Pixel 6a (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loceka View Post

The dictionnaries I tried to extract where mostly successfully extracted despite the errors in the logs :
Code:
Error: Dictionary contains multiple inflection index sections, which is not yet supported
Error: Dictionary uses obsolete inflection rule scheme which is not yet supported
I'm not quite sure about what they really mean (if something will be messed up in the extracted HTML file or not) but the output HTML file is not empty and seems ok.
A dictionary lists words in their basic form (like "read"). With the inflection rules the dictionary can find the correct basic entry even if I search for "reads" or "reading".

So these warnings mean that mobiunpack didn't restore the inflection rules but only the basic dictionary entries. As you seem to convert the dictionary to kobo you might not need them if the kobo dictionary doesn't support inflection rules.
siebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #483
stuzog
stuzog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Mac, iPad2,Kindle Paperwhite
No cover image in KindleUnpack mobi8 epub

Thanks for this great tool! However, I've noticed that the .epub file in the mobi8 directory of the unpacked filename directory is much smaller than the original .epub from which the .mobi file was made using KindleGen.

Part of the reason is that it lacks a cover page. I've tried opening it with Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 and everything shows but the cover. I'm new to this so I'll ask whether this a bug or a feature?

It would be good to include the cover as the .epub file is so much smaller, which means that it must have been optimized somehow.

Last edited by stuzog; 02-05-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: removed smilie url
stuzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #484
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuzog View Post
Thanks for this great tool! However, I've noticed that the .epub file in the mobi8 directory of the unpacked filename directory is much smaller than the original .epub from which the .mobi file was made using KindleGen.

Part of the reason is that it lacks a cover page. I've tried opening it with Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 and everything shows but the cover. I'm new to this so I'll ask whether this a bug or a feature?

It would be good to include the cover as the .epub file is so much smaller, which means that it must have been optimized somehow.
Kindlegen makes a combination file that includes the source, the KF8 and the Mobi. So it will be larger.

When you use KindleUnpack to make an ePub out of the KF8, you have to then run it through a checker such as ePubcheck or FlightCrew. The problem is that it's not 100% structurally sound as an ePub.

The cover is there. But there is no code to display the cover as KF8 does not need an XML file to display the cover. Take the ePub, load it into Calibre and use the Modify ePub plugin to add in the cover. Then you can take the ePub into Sigil to fix the errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #485
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Wolf speaks truth.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #486
steppe
Enthusiast
steppe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (broke), Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Thank you again, guys, for this fantastic app. Unfortunately for all of us, Amazon is constantly changing things.

When I use KindleUnpack 061 to split a .mobi file (produced by KindleGen 2.8) into Mobi7 and Mobi8 ebooks, the resulting Mobi7 .mobi file cannot be opened in the latest version of Kindle Previewer, 2.8. It gives an error message "cannot open the file book.null".

(The original .mobi was built using KindleGen 2.8 from a "web page, filtered" made in Microsoft Word 2010.)

That same Mobi7 file from KindleUnpack 061 opens just fine in the latest Kindle for PC and in MobiPocket Reader (and when I side-load it on my Kindle via USB).

Last edited by steppe; 02-21-2013 at 11:23 PM.
steppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:52 AM   #487
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppe View Post
Thank you again, guys, for this fantastic app. Unfortunately for all of us, Amazon is constantly changing things.

When I use KindleUnpack 061 to split a .mobi file (produced by KindleGen 2.8) into Mobi7 and Mobi8 ebooks, the resulting Mobi7 .mobi file cannot be opened in the latest version of Kindle Previewer, 2.8. It gives an error message "cannot open the file book.null".

(The original .mobi was built using KindleGen 2.8 from a "web page, filtered" made in Microsoft Word 2010.)

That same Mobi7 file from KindleUnpack 061 opens just fine in the latest Kindle for PC and in MobiPocket Reader (and when I side-load it on my Kindle via USB).
Why not just run the k7 OPF through KG? Why mess with it? Drop the OPF on to KP or KG, get a spanking new master mobi. Not sure why you want a K7 prc? If you can tell me why you want the older prc file, maybe the raddled old brains around here can figure out why it's happening, OR, come up with an alternative that works for you?

OR, I suppose, if you really want a k7, could you just drop the whole k7 portion into an old "My Publications" folder from MBPC, and build it from there? What do you guys think, Diap, Wolfie?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #488
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If there's something in the k7 mobi produced by splitting that confuses KindlePreview, I think it's a bug.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #489
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If there's something in the k7 mobi produced by splitting that confuses KindlePreview, I think it's a bug.
Yeah, but, whither? In KP, or in the K7 mobi?

That's why, if the questioner needs a prc file for some reason, I wondered if importing the whole folder into an old "MYPubs" folder for MBPC might make a workable book for him. Just a thought. If that didn't work, we'd know that the glitch was in the unpacked K7 portion, rather than KP having a bug in not recognizing the prc-mobi. I regularly view PRC files on KP, so it's not simply the extension or the lack of K* glamor.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #490
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Can Kindle Previewer 2.8 read the K7 portion of a mobi that was built by Previewer/Kindlegen 2.7 (and split by kindleunpack)?

If yes: I'd suspect a subtle change to the way KF8/K7 combo files are being built has made it necessary to update/upgrade KindleUnpack's splitter feature.

If no: I'd suspect a Kindle Previewer bug.

Or, if you really think about it... why would Amazon technically even need to include the ability for Kindle Previewer to read stand-alone K7 mobi files at all any more? It (and kindlegen) only produce combo files now, so why would previewing a K7-only mobi file be supported?

Just food for thought. There could be lots of reasons for this, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt me to get off my butt and actually download 2.8.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #491
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Test case?

Hi,

Does this happen with every book or just one?

If every book, I will download the latest KindlePreviewer/Kindlegen and build myself a testcase.

If just one, I would be happy to look into this but need to have a testcase. So if that is the case, please post a testcase here or privately mail KevinH with a link.

I will try to figure out how to modify the splitting code to make it work (or workaround that issue).

Thanks,

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #492
steppe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Why not just run the k7 OPF through KG? Why mess with it? Drop the OPF on to KP or KG, get a spanking new master mobi. Not sure why you want a K7 prc?
To strip embedded fonts from a Kindle book built by uploading a web page, filtered (from Word) to KDP. This is not for me, this is for a Kindle formatting tutorial for non-techies. I can build a Mobi7 file using KindleGen 1.x

Quote:
OR, I suppose, if you really want a k7, could you just drop the whole k7 portion into an old "My Publications" folder from MBPC, and build it from there?
MPC has many bugs, murders picture quality, and doesn't support some special symbols. KindleGen 1.x is better.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #493
steppe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, but, whither? In KP, or in the K7 mobi?

That's why, if the questioner needs a prc file for some reason, I wondered if importing the whole folder into an old "MYPubs" folder for MBPC might make a workable book for him.
Mobi7 files produced by MPC and KindleGen 1.x open without any problems in Kindle Previewer 2.8.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #494
steppe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Can Kindle Previewer 2.8 read the K7 portion of a mobi that was built by Previewer/Kindlegen 2.7 (and split by kindleunpack)?

If yes: I'd suspect a subtle change to the way KF8/K7 combo files are being built has made it necessary to update/upgrade KindleUnpack's splitter feature.

If no: I'd suspect a Kindle Previewer bug.
The same problem happens to files produced by KindleGen 2.3 and 2.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Or, if you really think about it... why would Amazon technically even need to include the ability for Kindle Previewer to read stand-alone K7 mobi files at all any more? It (and kindlegen) only produce combo files now, so why would previewing a K7-only mobi file be supported?
I suppose for backward compatibility with older Kindle books (produced by MobiPocket Creator and KindleGen 1). Those Mobi7 files open without problems in Kindle Previewer 2.8.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #495
steppe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

Does this happen with every book or just one?
Hey,

this happens to all kinds of Kindle ebooks I tested (made from Word, text files, or from OPF files). Just in case I am posting a simple test case in the attachment. Your expertise would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip testcase_KU61_vs_KP2.8.zip (30.9 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by steppe; 02-22-2013 at 02:24 PM.