Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Kindle for PC ver 1.5.0 seems to have died

I have Kindle for PC ver 1.5.0 installed on two separate Windows computers.

This morning I found that both copies seem to have died. To be exact, when I double-click on the shortcut, the program fails to load. No error message of any kind. Just nothing happens.

I have tried launching the programs from desktop shortcuts and directly from the EXE files, with the same result. I have checked Task Manager, and can see no instances of the programs running invisibly. In fact, I've done all the obvious trouble-shooting things.

I normally wouldn't post a problem like this in a forum, because I would assume that it is something peculiar to my system. But the fact that it happened at the same time on two separate computers made me think that the software might have expired in some way.

Has anyone else ever seen this with Kindle for PC?

I've got round it by downloading and installing the latest version. But that means that Tools ver 5.1 no longer work, which is undesirable.

Be glad to hear any comments or advice.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I had the same issue this week with v 1.4. I had to install the newest version of K4PC and am using the newest set of tools which work perfectly. I had to uninstall and reinstall my plugins though.

Other people in this thread had the same issue: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184424

Last edited by Pookeysgirl; 07-30-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Apparently Detroit auto makers are not the only ones to engineer into their products an obsolescence by design! For whatever reason, Amazon has decided to disable all older versions of K4PC.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Mike,

All older version of K4PC stopped working on 21st July. Just install the latest version, and the current version of "the tools" and all should be well.

I guess you didn't use K4PC for a while? It was warning that it would expire for about a month prior to actually doing so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for all your replies. Most helpful.

Yes, I did miss the warning that the program would expire. It's good to know that it not just me that has seen this issue.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote