Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
JoanneM
JoanneM began at the beginning.

Device: noone
page break in epub on iPad

Hi all. I have an epub which tests with no errors in Flightcrew, which shows fine on a Nook, but which loses the page breaks on an iPad. My css says, in part:

<style type="text/css">
h1 {font-weight: bold; text-align: center; text-indent: 0px}
h2 {text-align: center; text-indent: 0px; page-break-before:always}
h3 {text-align: center; text-indent: 0px}
</style>

I use h1 for the book title, h2 for new chapters, and h3 for headers I don't want a page break before.

eg.:

<h1><a id="title-page"/>Title Here</h1>
<p class="center">by</p>
<h3>Author Here</h3>
<h2><a id="TOC"/>Table of Contents</h2>
[and then the toc here]
<h2><a id="start"/>Chapter One</h2>

etc. Except in this case the "chapters" are poetry titles, as it's a book of poetry. I want each poem on its own page, naturally. Why would it look fine on a Nook but not on the iPad? Is there something I have to add for an iPad that won't insert extra page breaks on the Nook? Thanks, all!
JoanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You could put each chapter in a new XHTML file. Otherwise it is probably another bug in iBooks. Or should I say ignoring the specifications in iBooks?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...ation-and.html

Quote:
Apple came out with version 1.2.1 of the iBooks app yesterday and though I haven't had a chance to look at it carefully, I have been hearing from Twitter that the page-break bug that I mentioned in Page Breaks in iBooks 1.2 —in which the CSS page-break properties had to be in a local stylesheet within the XHTML file instead of in an external CSS file—has been fixed. External CSS now works as it should. Yay.
But if it's not working, the best solution is to have separate XML files for each place where the break is suppose to happen. It's what I do and I don't have to worry about iBooks botching the page breaks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...ation-and.html

But if it's not working, the best solution is to have separate XML files for each place where the break is suppose to happen. It's what I do and I don't have to worry about iBooks botching the page breaks.
IMHO this is the only reliable way to force a page break that works across all epub readers.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, ipad, page break, page breaks, pagebreak