Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-19-2018, 04:07 AM   #1
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Latin non-English characters in titles

Hello,

I have a fresh Kobo Aura One LE. I noticed that Latin non-English characters in titles of books and names of collections are displayed as squares, i.e. the fonts do not have the right characters.

What can I do here other than removing the non-English characters from my files?
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Actually, some Unicode characters are there, but not all those required in my language.
Advert
Old 05-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I think this has come up before with some languages and the answer was just to install a font that has the missing characters, but I can't remember if there was any other trick to it.

Can you post an example of one character that doesn't display properly, so I can test?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
hfpop
Addict

Thank you. Please double check the following:

Unicode characters seen as squares: U0218 (S comma), U0219 (s comma), U021A (T comma) and U021B (t comma).

By the way, how do I change the font that displays the collections and book titles? I am aware of installing new fonts via the USB:/fonts folder.

Last edited by hfpop; 05-19-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I think this has come up before with some languages and the answer was just to install a font that has the missing characters, but I can't remember if there was any other trick to it.
From memory, you need to open a book and use the font. After that, it will be used for the library lists.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2018, 02:31 AM   #6
hfpop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From memory, you need to open a book and use the font. After that, it will be used for the library lists.
I did not notice this behaviour. The authors, titles and collections are formatted with different fonts in various pages of the user interface. The four specific characters I mentioned earlier are not displayed in the interface but are displayed correctly inside the book by a number of fonts.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:44 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
I did not notice this behaviour. The authors, titles and collections are formatted with different fonts in various pages of the user interface. The four specific characters I mentioned earlier are not displayed in the interface but are displayed correctly inside the book by a number of fonts.
Then either my memory is wrong, or something has changed in a recent firmware version. This has been discussed plenty of times here, and that was my memory of it. But, a search here should find the answer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Unicode characters seen as squares: U0218 (S comma), U0219 (s comma), U021A (T comma) and U021B (t comma).
I tested on my Glo with firmware 4.8.10956 but I couldn't get those characters to display in the book title or author name either.

The strange thing is that books with Arabic titles and author names display as squares too, but when I install an Arabic font those titles and author names are then correctly displayed. (After activating the font by opening any book, selecting the Aa menu, and closing the book.) [Edit: But installing a font with your missing characters doesn't work. Even adding your missing characters to the same Arabic font which works for the Arabic titles doesn't work for titles with your missing characters.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-20-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: But installing a font with your missing characters doesn't work ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
hfpop
Addict

Thank you indeed for your verifications. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #10
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Thank you indeed for your verifications. Sorry for the bad news.
There is still a chance you can make your characters show. The problem is, that that nickel chooses in some cases a certain font to display a character, even though the font does not provide a glyph for this character. In order to make nickel choose the font that you think it should choose, there are two things you can try.
1) Rename the font name of your font in order to put it towards the top of the list from which nickel chooses.
2) Delet the font/fonts that nickel chooses instead of the one you want it to choose.

To point 1) you can compare this post. It addresses the font problem in KSM, but is applicable to nickel too.
To point 2) you can compare this thread.

Note: Some fonts (this concerns all side loaded fonts) are only included into the list after you open a kepub, or an epub plus the font menu.

Note: If you choose point 2) this post might also be of interest (for KSM users).

Last edited by tshering; 05-20-2018 at 06:01 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #11
hfpop
Addict

Right. Following your help on USBNet I report success here as well. I made a back-up of the /usr/local/…/fonts folder and emptied it. After a reboot and reread of a book, almost all is good. The authors, titles, collections have all the good characters in place.

Only one tiny problem is left. The home screen still shows all-squares in the three rows of text on the bottom-left side, in the Shop Kobo area. The Shop Kobo text itself shows up correctly. But as I get inside Shop Kobo, all is right.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #12
hfpop
Addict

Post to be deleted.

Last edited by hfpop; 05-29-2018 at 06:09 PM.