Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would ask to speak to a manager. There has to be a way to close the account that you did not open.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:18 PM   #17
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would ask to speak to a manager. There has to be a way to close the account that you did not open.
I would think so, too, but according to the two I spoke to, they can't, and per the local police cyber person, Amazon is very unhelpful in these matters.
copyrite is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I would think so, too, but according to the two I spoke to, they can't, and per the local police cyber person, Amazon is very unhelpful in these matters.
Is there anything the police can do to help?
Old 08-03-2017, 06:07 PM   #19
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
What do you suppose the point was in sending it to copyrite's home?? As some kind of proof to Amazon that the "owner" was using for purchases coming there? In the hopes they could get to the packages before copyrite did?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #20
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The policeman I spoke with didn't seem very helpful.

I have no clue why they started sending more things to me... The last three items ordered were sent to me.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Advert
Old 08-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #21
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
What do you suppose the point was in sending it to copyrite's home?? As some kind of proof to Amazon that the "owner" was using for purchases coming there? In the hopes they could get to the packages before copyrite did?
maybe it was something like this:
https://www.aol.com/2013/01/08/debit...victims-gifts/
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #22
copyrite
Wizard

Oh that's totally stupid.

Usually we're very good at bringing packages in right when the mail comes.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #23
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I would have thought they would order more expensive items.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #24
copyrite
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I would have thought they would order more expensive items.
I guess if they're cashing in on smaller amounts of gift cards and are too impatient to let the value increase with more gift cards, the items won't be too high priced?
Old 08-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #25
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
The only reason I can think of is that it muddies the waters even further. It damages the account holder's credibility. If the police come knocking because some poor victims have had their credit cards drained to purchase gift cards used on this account, suspicion will fall on the account holder, who regularly receives inexpensive items bought on the account and has accepted them without enquiry or complaint. It is as well for the OP that this has been discovered now. I would suggest that it is prudent to make enquiries if you receive goods you know nothing about and put it on the record.

It is regrettable that neither the Police or Amazon take it seriously. This is clearly a crime, and there are avenues that could lead to the criminal. Physical products go to a physical address. Ordering online Amazon no doubt have a record of the IP Address. I would also find it difficult to believe that Amazon has no record of the disposition of a particular gift card or who purchased it. This fraud seems to have at least two victims. The credit card holders who's cards were used to purchase gift cards and the OP, who has been set up to mask the identity of the criminal and perhaps even take the blame.

Things like unexplained deliveries should be treated as a warning sign. The OP should be concerned where the fraudster procured their details from and whether other uses are being made of them. I doubt it was as simple as randomly picking from a phone book.

Last edited by darryl; 08-03-2017 at 07:55 PM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #26
copyrite
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Things like unexplained deliveries should be treated as a warning sign. The OP should be concerned where the fraudster procured their details from and whether other uses are being made of them. I doubt it was as simple as randomly picking from a phone book.
I have to wonder how often this happens on Amazon, the information can often be found online.

I contacted the credit monitoring service we use by phone and explained the situation to them and there's been no unusual activity on any accounts.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #27
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
If the police come knocking because some poor victims have had their credit cards drained to purchase gift cards used on this account, suspicion will fall on the account holder, who regularly receives inexpensive items bought on the account and has accepted them without enquiry or complaint.
I think that this is the most likely explanation. You are being set up to take the blame by the scammer.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Don't open the items and keep them. Given you didn't order them and you didn't open the account, you could get in trouble for receiving stolen goods. Call Amazon and request to speak to a supervisor and not a grunt. Tell this supervisor what's going on and you want it resolved. Email Jeff Bezos if you have to. This is not something you want to let continue as you could get in trouble for something you did not do. I was thinking this could be a money laundering scheme. Crooked/stolen money converted into Amazon gift cards.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:55 PM   #29
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't open the items and keep them. Given you didn't order them and you didn't open the account, you could get in trouble for receiving stolen goods. Call Amazon and request to speak to a supervisor and not a grunt. Tell this supervisor what's going on and you want it resolved. Email Jeff Bezos if you have to. This is not something you want to let continue as you could get in trouble for something you did not do. I was thinking this could be a money laundering scheme. Crooked/stolen money converted into Amazon gift cards.
The source of funds for the gift cards could be just about anything. If I had to guess it would be a way of utilising stolen credit card details, either by the thief or by a purchaser. Anecdotally such details can be purchased with bitcoin on the dark web, together with Paypal accounts and other online account details, including to my knowledge Netflix.

I had the pleasure some years ago of having my Netflix account hacked, presumably because of a weak password. Fortunately I discovered it quickly when I checked my usage and found that a couple of devices I did not have were logging in from places in Canada, the US and the UK. Neither Netflix nor anyone else was terribly interested. I changed both the email and the password on the account and have had no further troubles. I did report the ip addresses involved to the ISP's concerned, and at least one account was suspended pending an investigation which seems never to have occurred.
I am pretty sure that the details were purchased online. Even a rudimentary investigation would have produced interesting results, but I think law enforcement in general has still not come to grips with this type of cyber-crime, and the companies concerned are not particularly interested in pursuing it as it is not affecting their bottom line.

It was fortunate that I am computer literate and picked it up. Otherwise this sort of thing can go on for years without detection, and I think often does. I suspect it is quite widespread but companies take the view that these people would not pay for subscriptions anyway.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #30
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
To follow up on JSWolf's idea, you might see if a local prosecutor would be willing to sniff around Amazon's door to investigate whether they are trafficking in stolen goods or participating in a money laundering scheme. Once Amazon finds itself under criminal investigation, it might become much more forthcoming in providing information or helping you delete the fake account. Maybe.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote