Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
Just to be sure, open formats not directly supported?

I'm currently reading on my Axim x51V, and I toss a memory card in with whatever I want to read in its native non-proprietary format. Open a reader, and browse to the content. I can't do that with Sony's reader, correct? I have to run them through an importer program?

I have a ton of archived columns that are in html and I read them when I have time during my commute. I can't just toss those in a card, insert the card and go, huh?

Thanks.
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yes and no, drogo. You can toss files on a card, and stick it into the Reader and read them, but not HTML files.

The formats it supports are Sony's BBeB (which would be LRF, LRS & LRX), PDF, TXT, and RTF (no picture support on the last two).

So, if your files were in RTF, instead of HTML, then you could do exactly as you describe.

Alternatively, you might have good luck with the HTML2LRF app, I believe it does batch conversions. Then you could just do the card thing with those files. I'm not sure I know of a HTML to RTF batch converter....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you wanted to, you could try out the HTML2RTF app and see how it works for your purposes, you can download the Connect Software to see how the results look -- it's actually a pretty good emulator, except that it's in color, and the display is way bigger than the actual Reader.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hmmm. That edges me closer to getting one. I'll try to see if the batch function works with the html2lrf program. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2007, 12:19 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist

You're welcome -- I'm glad to help.
Advert
Old 06-16-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
it's actually a pretty good emulator, except that it's in color, and the display is way bigger than the actual Reader.
It is "in proportion" - it shows the same amount of text per page that you'll see on the real Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Yes and no, drogo. You can toss files on a card, and stick it into the Reader and read them, but not HTML files.

The formats it supports are Sony's BBeB (which would be LRF, LRS & LRX), PDF, TXT, and RTF (no picture support on the last two).

So, if your files were in RTF, instead of HTML, then you could do exactly as you describe.

Alternatively, you might have good luck with the HTML2LRF app, I believe it does batch conversions. Then you could just do the card thing with those files. I'm not sure I know of a HTML to RTF batch converter....
Are you saying the Reader will handle an LRS file without the need to convert it to LRF?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

No, you're right it won't, at least I don't believe so. Guess I got a bit overzealous there.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
drogo
Connoisseur

Funny thing.

I've been poking around here a bit lately, but saw the announcement for the new Cybook over at Engadget. And the link pointed right back here. Nice.

The Cybook is supposed to support HTML natively, so I might hang out a bit more and see how that goes.