Android 4.4 Released for all Onyx Books

Link in http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads

warning : unofficial release, with risks

Last edited by ericooo; 05-04-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: warnings added
ericooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Awesomeness. Now I'll have to rollback my old installation of 4.4 back to 4.04 then upgrade to this.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Awesomeness. Now I'll have to rollback my old installation of 4.4 back to 4.04 then upgrade to this.
Now I am waiting for comments like:

"I updated to 4.4 but lost all my books, how can I restore them?"

SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
fanman
fanman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
There is information that Onyx cant make properly working 4.4.
So we will not receive final release of it.
Instead Onyx will use new Android versions on new processors.
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What information.

FWIW, my T68 has been running 4.4 okay for months.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
fanman

it seems for i86 zip file is damaged.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
fanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
What information.

FWIW, my T68 has been running 4.4 okay for months.
For months or for 1 month?

Sorry but information is in Russian
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?s=&sh...ost&p=61100793

Last edited by fanman; 05-04-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
I've been running 4.4 on a T68+, M96, and M96+ ever since they first released it. I believe it's gone six months before I inevitably fiddled with something and broke it or decided to take a look at the 4.0.4 firmware. I know some folks have had no luck with it, though, and I've sometimes had to flash it a couple of times in a row to get a stable flash.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman View Post
For months or for 1 month?

Sorry but information is in Russian
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?s=&sh...ost&p=61100793
https://translate.google.ca/translat...-text=&act=url

Quote:
It is not stable, it is rather an experimental version. Onyx says that they can not get the perfect Android 4.4 work. Yes, and there is no sense in this version of the upgrade. In the future, we plan to switch to a newer Android - simultaneously with the transition to new processors. However, this is not yet the near future, unfortunately.
Old 4.4 version been working for two months. Stable and BT works on a T68. Maybe I got lucky. Kind of frightened to touch anything
Old 05-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #10
royconejo
royconejo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
I feel sorry to ask this obvious question.. but, what is the advantages of upgrading android to 4.4 on an ebook device?

PS: congratulations to Booxtor and the entire Onyx team for releasing v1.8.2. I've been trying it for several weeks now and I still can't believe the speed improvements and new functionality.
royconejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #11
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by royconejo View Post
I feel sorry to ask this obvious question.. but, what is the advantages of upgrading android to 4.4 on an ebook device?
I assume that it will allow the Max to work with more apps. Lots of people were wanting their device to work with various office type apps among others, and Android 4.0.4 was apparently very limiting in this regard.

Although there are several drawing apps which I would like to use with my Max and which don't seem to work with 4.0.4, I think I will pass on this pre-release and wait until an official version pops up or at least until more people have tried out this version and worked out any kinks in it.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:15 PM   #12
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Not "all Onyx Books" -- it doesn't have one for the Kepler Pro.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:45 AM   #13
ericooo
ericooo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox N96 CML
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by royconejo View Post

PS: congratulations to Booxtor and the entire Onyx team for releasing v1.8.2. I've been trying it for several weeks now and I still can't believe the speed improvements and new functionality.
Newer apps target at least android 4.4.
Also, some news functionalities offered by google (Drive intregretion, 2 factor signing,...) also target at least android 4.4 devices.

According to this site, only 1.8% off android devices run version prior to 4.1 ... so more and more apps where not compatible with Onyx Boox...

I also expect that newer Android has native functions to force render apps in 2 colors (B/W), which is great for us...
ericooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:40 AM   #14
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
As far as I have read this is a prerelease (aka beta)? So why would one want to install a potential unstable release?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #15
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericooo View Post
Newer apps target at least android 4.4.
Also, some news functionalities offered by google (Drive intregretion, 2 factor signing,...) also target at least android 4.4 devices.

According to this site, only 1.8% off android devices run version prior to 4.1 ... so more and more apps where not compatible with Onyx Boox...

I also expect that newer Android has native functions to force render apps in 2 colors (B/W), which is great for us...
  1. How many of these "newer apps" are compatible with eInk displays and are practical with eReaders' typically slower CPUs?
  2. What percentage of eInk Android eReaders "run version prior to 4.1"? If most do, then most apps targeted at eReaders will be compatible.
  3. Is there any factual basis for your "expect[ation] that newer Android has native functions to force render apps in 2 colors (B/W)"? And how robust are these functions?
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyx android