Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
chrox
Zealot
chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 KPW PB840
Arrow KOReader on PocketBook

KOReader is a document viewer application, originally created for Kindle e-ink readers. It is then ported to Kobo and Android devices and now it comes to PocketBook's world. Various PocketBook models are reported to run KOReader fine with firmware versions from 4.4, 5.2 to 5.4. We are glad to know how it runs on your device.

Main features
  • supports multiple document formats including PDF, DJVU, EPUB, FB2, CBZ, etc.
  • with built-in k2pdfopt engine to reflow scanned PDF page on the fly
  • uses StarDict dictionaries / Wikipedia to lookup words
  • text/image highlights can be exported to Evernote cloud account
  • supports adding custom online OPDS catalogs
  • calibre integration

Installation
  • First, download a koreader build (zip files that begin with "koreader-pocketbook" in their filename) for PocketBook here: http://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases
  • Then, unzip the downloaded koreader build to your local storage. This will generate two directories namely "applications" and "system".
  • Finally, copy and merge the "applications" directory from the unzipped content to your PocketBook's USB storage.
  • If you want to associate KOReader with all PDF, EPUB, DJVU, FB2, CBZ documents you could copy and merge the "system" directory from the unzipped content to your PocketBook's USB storage. (This step is optional.)

Links

KOReader is open-source software released under AGPLv3 license. KOReader project is hosted on Github here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader

KOReader user manual can be found here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki

Other MobileRead threads that talk about KOReader usage and development:

Last edited by chrox; 12-31-2015 at 09:01 PM.
chrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
chrox
Zealot
chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

*reserved*
Old 01-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
gyeben
gyeben began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 614W (Basic 2)
Hi!

I tried KOReader on a Pocketbook 614 (aka: Basic 2) running firmware 4.4, but unfortunately it doesn't work. I'd be more than happy to help debugging the app.
I already tried starting the app over telnet, so that I could see if it printed some error message(s) to the standard output, but I got no error messages.

EDIT: will KOReader support non-touch PocketBook devices?

Last edited by gyeben; 01-18-2015 at 12:28 PM.
gyeben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
wirtold
wirtold began at the beginning.

Device: InkPad 840, InkPad 740
This is great news! I really like option for darkening text in pdfs and Scroll Mode. Very good app! But there are some problems: there is something wrong with touch control, it is very unresponsive - sometimes i have to hold my finger for more than a second or two for touch to get registered, and very often it is just missed. But overall app looks very fast at graphically intensive pdfs - this is something at which original PocketBook app is really bad. Thanks!
wirtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
j0r13n
Enthusiast
j0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Fantastic news to hear KOReader is ported to PocketBook!

Tried it on PocketBook 626 aka PocketBook Lux 2 running firmware 4.4 and I can confirm it doesn't work. Maybe it's because firmware 4.4 use older libs; the majority is still using this firmware because it has better support for homebrew software. It would be great to make in run on this firmware also...
j0r13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #6
chrox
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyeben View Post
Hi!

I tried KOReader on a Pocketbook 614 (aka: Basic 2) running firmware 4.4, but unfortunately it doesn't work. I'd be more than happy to help debugging the app.
I already tried starting the app over telnet, so that I could see if it printed some error message(s) to the standard output, but I got no error messages.

EDIT: will KOReader support non-touch PocketBook devices?
Could you post the content of "crash.log" file in "applications/koreader" directory? It has error message on what's wrong.

KOReader only works on touch devices for now.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #7
chrox
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirtold View Post
This is great news! I really like option for darkening text in pdfs and Scroll Mode. Very good app! But there are some problems: there is something wrong with touch control, it is very unresponsive - sometimes i have to hold my finger for more than a second or two for touch to get registered, and very often it is just missed. But overall app looks very fast at graphically intensive pdfs - this is something at which original PocketBook app is really bad. Thanks!
Thanks for your report. A new preview build is uploaded to fix the tap unresponsive issue.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #8
chrox
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0r13n View Post
Fantastic news to hear KOReader is ported to PocketBook!

Tried it on PocketBook 626 aka PocketBook Lux 2 running firmware 4.4 and I can confirm it doesn't work. Maybe it's because firmware 4.4 use older libs; the majority is still using this firmware because it has better support for homebrew software. It would be great to make in run on this firmware also...
Could you post the content of "crash.log" file in "applications/koreader" directory? It has error message on what's wrong from which developers may figure out how to support that device/firmware.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:46 AM   #9
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
@chrox, I thought you knew the answer already: ./luajit: ffi/mupdf.lua:21: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by libs/libmupdf.so)
(like it is mentioned in the GitHub thread)

The full crash log:
Quote:
Atached mp shm: id 0 addr 40021000 size 17864
----------------> USING A2PLUS MODE <-----------------
attach_shm: mtfb key=251331952 size=833040
Atached mtfb shm: id 290009 addr 407d9000 size 833040
-------------------------
The task - koreader.app have
xres=758 yres=1024 bpp=4 vdepth=8
-------------------------
ndepth:4 hqdepth:4 orientation:0
attach_shm: ref key=2130378752 size=776192
Atached ref shm: id 8001 addr 408a7000 size 776192
OpenTheme: /ebrmain/themes/.default.pbt
ts: loading default calibration values
Atached mqueue: id 8001
./luajit: ffi/mupdf.lua:21: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by libs/libmupdf.so)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'load'
ffi/mupdf.lua:21: in main chunk
[C]: in function 'require'
frontend/ui/widget/imagewidget.lua:4: in main chunk
frontend/ui/widget/button.lua:3: in main chunk
frontend/ui/widget/buttontable.lua:5: in main chunk
frontend/ui/widget/buttondialog.lua:1: in main chunk
frontend/apps/filemanager/filemanagerhistory.lua:3: in main chunk
frontend/apps/filemanager/filemanager.lua:1: in main chunk
./reader.lua:135: in main chunk
[C]: at 0x0000bdf1

Last edited by WS64; 01-19-2015 at 02:48 AM.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:51 AM   #10
chrox
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
@chrox, I thought you knew the answer already: ./luajit: ffi/mupdf.lua:21: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by libs/libmupdf.so)
(like it is mentioned in the GitHub thread)

The full crash log:
@ws64 Could you test it on PB Lux 2 with firmware version 5.2?
Old 01-19-2015, 06:07 AM   #11
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
Same crash log on a PB 515 (mini) with FW 4.4
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:10 AM   #12
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
@chros, I'd prefer not to, since 5.2 is pretty useless since neither FBReader nor Coolreader run on it (I am still surprised that Koreader does, I thought PB had removed that option completely).
Since 5.2 also seems slower it would be better to get Koreader on PB running on GLIBC_2.9.
I'll ask at the German forum though, I guess there are enough people still on 5.2!
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #13
chrox
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
@chros, I'd prefer not to, since 5.2 is pretty useless since neither FBReader nor Coolreader run on it (I am still surprised that Koreader does, I thought PB had removed that option completely).
Since 5.2 also seems slower it would be better to get Koreader on PB running on GLIBC_2.9.
I'll ask at the German forum though, I guess there are enough people still on 5.2!
OK, by simply grepping GLIBC_2.* strings from 4.* and 5.* firmware update binaries, I found that 5.* firmware is targeted to GLIBC 2.9 while 4.* firmware is targeted to GLIBC 2.5. Since the original koreader for PocketBook uses some functions from GLIBC 2.7, it should work on firmware 5.* but not 4.*.

A new preview build has been uploaded to support PocketBook 4.* firmware by disabling those GLIBC_2.7 function calls.

@WS64 Could you test if 2014.11-38-preview works on your firmware 4.4?
Old 01-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
The new build does not crash but the display is distorted and completely unreadable as if it would work with wrong assumptions about display lines and pixels. But it responds to page forward/backward.

On a PB 515 (mini), FW 4.4.
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #15
chrox
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadowski View Post
The new build does not crash but the display is distorted and completely unreadable as if it would work with wrong assumptions about display lines and pixels. But it responds to page forward/backward.

On a PB 515 (mini), FW 4.4.
Could you also post a screenshot of koreader on your device? It would make debugging much easier.

Tags
calibre, epub, koreader, pb742, pdf, pocketbook