Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > IMP

Notices

Old 02-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Convert .lit directly into .IMP formats

A while ago, I used this procedure to convert many .lit files into .IMP formats (EBW 1150 and REB 1200).

This information was originally posted to the REB 1200 Yahoo group, and for those who do not have access to that group, I re-post same here, namely:

1. s32lit2sb.exe - Lit2sb converter compatible with eBook Publisher 2.x (EBW/GEB 1150, REB1200,GEB2250/2200/2150 )

2. s32lit2sb-INSTRUCTIONS-by-NR.txt - Instructions on how to effectively use this program to convert .lit files into .imp (Reb 1200/GEB 1150 formats)

After setting this up, one "double-click" and your .lit file gets converted. Note, you can also use batch files to convert en-masse!

Enjoy!

-Nick

EDIT 14 Feb 2008: added batch files to convert all .lit files in a directory to .IMP. Must read the instructions first, create the empty file 'GEB1150' and ensure you 'associate' .lit as described therein, and properly place all required programs in your 'path'. After that, double-click 'NRconvert lit to 1150 imp.bat' and wait for your results. By the way, when you double-click just the .lit file in windows explorer, you must manually rename the 'o_sb.imp' file; when using these batch files (even for one .lit), it's all done for you.

EDIT 23 Aug 2008: I have re-compiled a windows executable (Lit2sb.exe) based on a modified copy of that perl script to allow proper conversions. Just replace the original lit2sb.exe executable with the one in the lit2sb.zip attachment in the thread Original Lit2sb perl script RESURRECTED!
Among the things fixed were:
- uses source .lit filename as final .imp output filename and places resulting .imp in the same directory as the .lit source.
- for resulting .imp and .opf, no longer uses 8.3 filenames.
- uses "2%" left and right margins now, instead of "18pt"
- properly scales GEB1150/EBW1150 cover image so as to avoid bottom margin bleeding.
- fixed system calls to external programs to properly prefix path.

p.s. thanks to zelda_pinwheel for inspiring me to write this
Attached Files
File Type: zip s32lit2sb.zip (1.17 MB, 3012 views)
File Type: txt s32lit2sb-INSTRUCTIONS-by-NR.txt (4.6 KB, 2429 views)
File Type: bat NRconvert lit to 1150 imp.bat (492 Bytes, 2153 views)
File Type: bat NRlit1150.bat (613 Bytes, 2109 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-14-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: added link to re-compiled windows executable (Lit2sb.exe) substitute
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've just made this thread a sticky to make it easier to find/see.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Nick, you are my hero ! i just tried this automatic conversion and it worked a treat ! in under 30 seconds i had a nice, readable, .imp version of my .lit file.

of course, then i spent 2 hours "fixing" the code so it would be even nicer, but
i *could* have left it alone, it would have been fine.

i also tried it on that stupid drm book i bought the other day (i think it will be the last one, as well as the first one i buy), since i was having such terrible results before. the formatting is still strange, but not the same way it was before, and infinitely better than my previous efforts. at least it's readable, and at this point i think that's really as much as i can hope for !

thanks for this !!

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 02-14-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: read a post by Nate (somewhere else), replied to Nick (here)... wrong name. Sorry !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
crazyTash
Enthusiast
crazyTash began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, eBookwise 1150
Thank you so much for this post! It is very useful!
crazyTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
alignment off

I just converted a .lit file to .imp, I can open the file just fine, however the book seems to have been aligned to the right side margin instead of the left.

Suggestions? Ideas on how to fix this?
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I just converted a .lit file to .imp, I can open the file just fine, however the book seems to have been aligned to the right side margin instead of the left.

Suggestions? Ideas on how to fix this?
The .html and .opf files are leftover when the .lit conversion is finished. You can check the .html for the <p> formatting to see if there is a <p align=right> for each line or a <style> rule making the default <p> behaviour 'p {text-align: right}'. If so, remove it of substitute 'right' with either 'left' or 'justify'.

To re-create the .imp ebook, after editing the .html as per above, you should use the (free) eBook Publisher software from ETI. Even though eBookwise Librarian can create ebooks, the eBook Publisher software allows better control but however needs much more working knowledge of HTML.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
umm

Okie I opened the html file in ebook publisher. Now I am just not sure what I need to change:

<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {margin-left:18pt; margin-right:18pt; x-sbp-widow-push:1; x-sbp-orphan-pull:1}
td {vertical-align:top}
table.hdr {width:100%; border:none; margin-left:0pt; margin-right:0pt}
td.hdrl {text-align:left}
td.hdrc {text-align:center}
td.hdrr {text-align:right}
.plain {text-decoration:none; font-style:none; font-weight:none; font-size:x-small; font-family:serif; color:#000000}
header {display:none; displayeb-page-head; oeb-column-number:1; margin-bottom:10pt}
footer {display:none; displayeb-page-foot; oeb-column-number:1; margin-top:10pt}
pbrk {page-break-before:always}
.KWN {page-break-inside:avoid}
fn {font-size:-1}
sp {font-size:-3}
adv2lm {sbp-advance:left}
p {margin-top:0pt; margin-bottom:0pt; text-align:left; text-decoration:none; font-style:none; font-weight:none; font-size:x-small; font-family:serif; color:#000000}
a {color: #0000ff}
p.FullPagePicture, li.FullPagePicture, div.FullPagePicture
{margin-left:0cm;
text-align:center;
font-size:12.0pt;
}
-->
</style>

Should I set style to left align? It looks like the text is set up to left align, I think....

Amy

Edit-

The first few pages are aligned to the left, then after the acknowledgements it goes to right. So I am guessing somewhere in there a right align command got thrown in.

Last edited by sassanik; 05-23-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: more info
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Okie I opened the html file in ebook publisher. Now I am just not sure what I need to change:

Should I set style to left align? It looks like the text is set up to left align, I think....

Amy

Edit-

The first few pages are aligned to the left, then after the acknowledgements it goes to right. So I am guessing somewhere in there a right align command got thrown in.
The top of the .html file looks OK, but it appears you've found your answer in bold above! Just open the .html in eBook Publisher or any text editor (like notepad) and search for:
Code:
right

or

right"
and look for text around the acknowledgement that includes a 'text-align' or <table align=right> there. Chances are the end of the acknowledgment doesn't 'close' the alignment.

This is probably a clitch/error in the original code that was somehow 'overlooked' by the MS LIT reader.

If you can't find it, post here the area around the acknowledgment and include enough to show the text body, before and after. When you post the text here, just place it between
Code:
[ CODE ] place text here [ /CODE ]
(click the '#' in the edit bar above the Message area when entering your message.)

Last edited by nrapallo; 05-23-2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: typos!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
drudo
drudo began at the beginning.

Device: eBookWise 1150
Not working

Can someone help with this? First, it seems the html2sb program is missing when I install lit2sb. I tried downloading that and adding it, but to no avail. When I set it all up like it says in the instructions and run the bat file, the .lit file gets expanded into a subfolder and it looks like the opf file gets renamed, but no imp file is generated. If I try running html2sb on it's own, it crashes. Am I missing something? I basically end up with a .lit file and a directory full of html, images, and opf files. Any idea why this wouldn't work?

Thanks.
drudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drudo View Post
Can someone help with this? First, it seems the html2sb program is missing when I install lit2sb. I tried downloading that and adding it, but to no avail. When I set it all up like it says in the instructions and run the bat file, the .lit file gets expanded into a subfolder and it looks like the opf file gets renamed, but no imp file is generated. If I try running html2sb on it's own, it crashes. Am I missing something? I basically end up with a .lit file and a directory full of html, images, and opf files. Any idea why this wouldn't work?

Thanks.
First, html2sb is "broken" under current versions of Windows and especially so if eBook Publisher is installed. I can't get it to run now, even though I used it 4 or 5 years ago and perhaps under Win98se. It is not required as part of the 'lit2sb' package and usage. Just avoid it.

The resulting .imp should be located in the directory where your .lit resides. Did you "double-click" the .lit file to launch the conversion?

Now if you did the above, the .imp conversion may have been halted due to errors in to .opf or .html. Just load the .opf in eBook Publisher and try to build your .imp edition. Was it successful?

If not, then review the Messages log and see if anything needs fixing.

If not, to see if your installation of lit2sb is working, try to convert another .lit file to see if that one works.

If not, private message me with some details of your failed conversion attempt.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
drudo
drudo began at the beginning.

Device: eBookWise 1150
Thanks, I'll try your suggestions when I get home from work today. I'm getting my reader this weekend for my birthday and I'm trying to make sure I have some books ready to test on it.

thanks again.
Dave
drudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
sophie27
sophie27 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
This program works great! Is there a similar program for pdf direct to imp?
sophie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie27 View Post
This program works great! Is there a similar program for pdf direct to imp?
Try PDFRead 1.8.2 released! for direct .pdf to .imp (and .djvu/.cbr/.cbz/images to .imp!)

And if you need .prc/.mobi to .imp, look at Mobi2IMP 9.4 with new Windows GUI & UTF-8!

AND when you get those installed, you can get direct .lit/.pdf/.prc to .imp conversion while surfing the internet as well (though it's less efficient), using Impserve as discussed in this thread!
(your plugins would all be setup then, just download the latest release here!)

Enjoy the world of converting to .imp...

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-24-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'm having trouble converted Calibre generated LIT files to IMP.

There are three problems.

1) The LIT2SB tool is having problems with the CSS file. Calibre is using an tag called
Code:
@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
Since it doesn't understand this it is showing up in the generated IMP file.

2) The order of the content page is incorrect. The tool assumes the <manifest> data will be in sequential order and process the IMP OPF that way. Calibre's OPF file does is not in sequential order but properly laysout the the ID in the <spine> tag so that the order is correct. This results in chapters, TOC, and cover pages to be shuffled around in the IMP book.

3)The cover.htm file assumes an image Cover_SB.jpg but this file is not created. However there is a cover.jpg and it is in calibre's OPF file.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm having trouble converted Calibre generated LIT files to IMP.
=X=

This tool was developed about 5 years ago when there were only MS-commissioned .lit ebooks and so the program, Lit2sb.exe, does not know how to handle any of the inconsistencies introduced by the calibre .lit encoding method.

However, I was able to RESURRECT the original Lit2sb Perl script and so it can be manipulated (re-coded) to suit! At the time I had "extracted" that Perl script, I also "tweaked" it to better produce .imp ebooks so I can and have produced new windows executables of lit2sb.exe.

I mainly wrote the INSTRUCTIONS on how to effectively use this tool so my knowledge of this program comes only from reading the Perl code. I could recompile it quite easily if you know the exact patches you need implemented (otherwise there may be some heavy debugging to do ).

Either send me a problematic .lit file or attach it here and let's see what's needs to be done to make this work for calibre generated .lit ebooks.