Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 05-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Q: 'See What Changed' dialog

I usually don't use the See What Changed, but I needed to look at some things to be sure after running a group of 5 saved search & replaces, and I had some questions

Q1 - Is there a way to reverse just a selected change? I see how to revert them all. For example, line 16 should not have been replaced, so I want to revert just that one (and on to the next)

Q2 - Is there a way to go directly to the change position in the book, like spell check does, and allow me to manually edit?

I tried right clicking everything I could think of, but nothing happened

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	156505  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No and no

Ping me about it after calibre 3 and I will look into implementing it, though no promises since this is fairly involved to get right.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2017, 02:49 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh and I should mention that while you cannot jump to any particular change, you can simply right click anywhere in the right panel and choose "Open in editor" which will take you to that line in the editor.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:45 AM   #4
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Um, if you double click on the particular 'after' that you want (eg. line 16 highlight on the right side) it takes you to that place in the editor. It won't bring you right to a word if you're in a long paragraph, but to the line number. Double clicking on the left side doesn't do anything.

I use that all the time.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kovid and MerlinMama

The right-click or double click the right side ('after') of the panel works to get to the correct line in the correct file at least, which is better than the way I was doing it

Not as handy as my questions, but still a great improvement over the way I was doing things

Thanks
Advert
Old 06-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No and no

Ping me about it after calibre 3 and I will look into implementing it, though no promises since this is fairly involved to get right.
1. I must really not be stressing 3.1.1 since I haven't had any problems, issues, or complaints since migrating. Everything I use and all my settings worked without any problems

2. Any thoughts yet about being able to un-do a single change?

Last edited by phossler; 06-29-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:12 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I looked into it and undoing a single change is more work than I am willing to put in, sorry. Basically, to make it work well one has to both robustly reverse the change at the location in the file and then either re-compute the entire diff or update the diff. The first is very slow for large diffs and the second is fairly involved to get right, because all the line numbers for subsequent changes will have changed.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:05 AM   #8
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I looked into it and undoing a single change is more work than I am willing to put in, sorry. Basically, to make it work well one has to both robustly reverse the change at the location in the file and then either re-compute the entire diff or update the diff. The first is very slow for large diffs and the second is fairly involved to get right, because all the line numbers for subsequent changes will have changed.

OK, thanks for looking into it

I agree that the benefits would out weigh a significant development effort and I'm sure that you have much more important things to do.

I was just hoping it'd be one of those famous 2-3 line changes