Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Long may they refrain from doing so . Adding KFX support to K4PC would mean switching to the considerably more tedious "Download and transfer via USB" method of adding Kindle books to Calibre, which would be an irritation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:06 AM   #32
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It supports fixed layout via AZK, not KF8.
I think we make a much bigger deal about the differences in file format than Amazon does. The folks I talked to called it KF8.

Quote:
Not true. Customers buying Amazon books will not notice the very slight differences in rendering between AZK on Kindle for iOS and KF8 on other platforms.
Slight difference? In my experience, AZK on iOS is KF7 with multimedia added. There's no support for even basic things like fonts, much less proper formatting.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2016, 01:10 AM   #33
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I'm not sure that's the bottom line (pun intended). I do know that Apple has cheerfully gone out of its way to obstruct that development.
By that, I assume you mean Apple telling Amazon that they can't sell eBooks in their iOS app without paying Apple a 20% in-app-purchase cut?

Yeah, Apple has gone out of its way to screw Amazon and vice versa. Frankly, as a user, it makes me want to tell both companies what they can do with themselves.

And this is coming from somebody who worked at the fruit company for almost 13 years (until a couple years ago). I'm fed up with Apple's childishness *and* Amazon's.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:25 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
By that, I assume you mean Apple telling Amazon that they can't sell eBooks in their iOS app without paying Apple a 20% in-app-purchase cut?
Actually, (yes but) I meant what happened after that. After Amazon told them to bite their bums, and loosed the in-browser Cloud reader. Since then, hoooo, boy, they've been really at loggerheads.

Quote:
Yeah, Apple has gone out of its way to screw Amazon and vice versa. Frankly, as a user, it makes me want to tell both companies what they can do with themselves.

And this is coming from somebody who worked at the fruit company for almost 13 years (until a couple years ago). I'm fed up with Apple's childishness *and* Amazon's.
While I have had issues with both, I've found Apple far, far more childish. Nor do I care for their attitude, about almost anything. Yes, they were smart. Yes, they figured out that people cared more about being cool, than understanding the tech, or even having access into the tech. But I feel that they've contributed to the same mindset that cellphones have--"oh, I don't need to know how to do X, I have a PHONE!," (ditto knowing how anything works on a computer). And I can't warm up to any company that abandons OSes and hardware, etc. willy-nilly and screw the consumer that's spent money with them. {shrug}

(Reminds me of the idiocy, 6 years back, when they wouldn't publish a client's book, because OUR company name was on the copyright page. Why? Because the word "NOOK" was in it. No, you can't make that s**t up. Or refused to publish client Holly Lisle's book, about self-publishing, because she had a section about...Amazon. AFTER she blogged about their idiocy, to her tens of thousands of followers, suddenly, Apple announced that it was a "software glitch" that stopped her book. I guess the 3 people she spoke to before the blog posts didn't exist.)

At LEAST Amazon has to my experience been wildly responsive to its authors, and to its consumers. You can return stuff to Amazon with almost any lame excuse; and authors can ask for help with pretty much everything. Can't complain about that, if naught else. (And believe me, I've had my own individual issues with them, Prime, and the bloody *&^%$#@! Post Office subbing by FedEx, hoooo, yes, I have.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
I think we make a much bigger deal about the differences in file format than Amazon does. The folks I talked to called it KF8.
Slight difference? In my experience, AZK on iOS is KF7 with multimedia added. There's no support for even basic things like fonts, much less proper formatting.
The formats are entirely different. The book data itself is the same of course but the way the formatting is done is totally differently. AZK is json objects, no HTML at all period. KF8 is HTML with CSS etc. KF7 is HTML without CSS. For the difference see our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2018, 08:53 AM   #36
varshithpuli
varshithpuli began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Kindle Previewer 3 (beta) internally produces KDF format, which is KFX just packaged differently. It has a Kindle for iOS emulation mode that shows how books will look in the Kindle for iOS app when they are delivered in KFX format.
hey is there a way to convert KDF files created using Kindle create application to KFX or anyother format readable on my IPad...

I used kindle create app to convert my PDF Fixed layout to KDF(which supports Highlighting and text selection) with some manual table of contents and I obviously don't want to publish that, so is there a way to side load that in any format and read on my IPAD

I have a KDF file is there a way to sideload it to my kindle app in IPAD
varshithpuli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, css, ipad, kindle, table