Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2023, 07:41 PM   #1
Hightree
Enthusiast
Hightree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 5
PW5:Make Library page Default on start in Launcher,Cloud Not Available Error

Hi!

1) Is there a way to make default PW5 laucher to open LIBRARY page upon start instead of HOME page? (e.g make library page default).

The goal is to get more space screen for local documents.
Most of "Home" screen is taken by useless info like "Popular reads" and "Read your way".

2) When I click on "Library" page, there's always message "Cloud Not Available" and "You must register your Kindle to view and download items from the Cloud" with 2 buttons: Cancel and Register.

I don't need any cloud (nor registered for any amazon cloud), the only issue here is that I have to click "Cancel" every time I open Library page.
I don't need ANY amazon services.

Kindle is both jailbroken and fake-registered.
On Launcher's Home page it RECOGNISES the registration and in drop menu all the options besides "Create a collection" available.

This is messages log when I press "Library" from Launcher "Home":

Code:
[!]231112:002307 KPPMainApp: [8351] [SubmittedTask::execute():INFO] Moving current task 'emit:80' into EXECUTING state.
[!]231112:002307 KPPMainApp: [8351] [SubmittedTask::execute():INFO] Starting Task: 'emit:80'.
[!]231112:002307 KPPMainApp: [8351] [SubmittedTask::execute():INFO] Moving current task 'emit:80' into DONE state.
[!]231112:002307 KPPMainApp: [8351] [SubmittedTask::execute():INFO] Moving current task 'EmitRecord:40' into EXECUTING state.
[!]231112:002307 KPPMainApp: [8351] [SubmittedTask::execute():INFO] Starting Task: 'EmitRecord:40'.
[!]231112:002307 KPPMainApp: [8351] [SubmittedTask::execute():INFO] Moving current task 'EmitRecord:40' into DONE state.
[!]231112:002307 KPPMainApp: C :::[8351][2023-11-12 00:23:07.800] ModuleManager:188 CRITICAL: Invoke Module:1 for Event:0xb4088870, Owner:1, Id:2, Src:11, Dst:1, Callback:False
[!]231112:002307 KPPMainApp: I :::[8351][2023-11-12 00:23:07.802] KPPChromeDataProvider:807 INFO_SENSITIVE: DELETED
[!]231112:002309 KPPMainApp: [8351] [SubmittedTask::execute():INFO] Moving current task 'RequestCoverArtWithCdePairsAsync:150' into EXECUTING state.
Whats 'emit:80' task?

An option of replacing default launcher with smth else (like KUAL works also). The only thing thats missing in e.g. KUAL as a primary laucher for me is backlight/wifi settings.
Don't know how to write .conf file for starting KUAL on boot anyway.

I have KTERM, KUAL installed, not afraid of technicalities.
Thank you for reading!

Last edited by Hightree; 11-11-2023 at 07:50 PM.
Hightree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 11:59 AM   #2
czerepak1
czerepak1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5
I am also interested in this answer. I followed Marek's fantastic LanguageBreak for my PW5 and am both very annoyed by both the issues raised. The difference is that mine is not fake registered, nor real-registered. Despite also downloading and activating BackDoorLock and renameotabin, I am paranoid it will still try to sneak updates on me.
czerepak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2023, 12:16 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Has either of you considered downgrading to a firmware with a less annoying UI?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 12:41 PM   #4
czerepak1
czerepak1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5
I have seen that recommendation and I was going to try it if there were no other options. However, there is some recent chatter about LanguageBreak not working on older devices and firmware. I was just checking if there were any non-nuclear options to adjust the UI through extensions or additional tools but I also understand sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too.
czerepak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 01:08 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerepak1 View Post
I have seen that recommendation and I was going to try it if there were no other options. However, there is some recent chatter about LanguageBreak not working on older devices and firmware. I was just checking if there were any non-nuclear options to adjust the UI through extensions or additional tools but I also understand sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too.
That is about performing the LanguageBreak jailbreak on lower firmware. If your kindle has been jailbroken, you can downgrade to a lower firmware. I've never downgraded, so I don't know if you need to re-jailbreak, so it would be best to downgrade to a firmware that can be broken with WatchThis! or KindleBreak. If that leaves you with a firmware lower than you want, you can upgrade to a suitable later version.

The whole point of a jailbreak is to install the community developer key, which allows community signed packages to be installed, primarily MRPI and KUAL. That opens the door to custom package installation. KUAL extensions don't even need to be signed.

The hotfix enables the jailbreak to survive firmware updates (up or down), but amazon complicated things starting with 5.16 by storing developer keys in a mounted squashfs. I don't know whether the hotfix takes care of the case of downgrading to a version using the old key storage method.
Advert
Old 11-24-2023, 01:50 PM   #6
Hightree
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Has either of you considered downgrading to a firmware with a less annoying UI?
Which FW version would you advise for PW5?
Or whats the lowest FW version available for PW5?

Is it possible to just downgrade KPP app?
I've spent quite a bit of time getting rid of updates and other OS configuration, so would rather just downgrade KPP app than downgrade the whole FW.
Kernel and utilities version will likely go down with downgrading FW.

Last edited by Hightree; 11-24-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:56 PM   #7
Hightree
Enthusiast

Quote:
The hotfix enables the jailbreak to survive firmware updates (up or down), but amazon complicated things starting with 5.16 by storing developer keys in a mounted squashfs.
Do you know which partition dev name/number in 5.16 developer keys are stored in?
Old 11-24-2023, 02:10 PM   #8
Hightree
Enthusiast

I tried making other apps default on boot instead of KPP, but KPP still being started whenever you exit non-KPP app.
I guess we need to modify some .db file.
Also if you make KUAL to boot on restart - smth weird happens when you open any app from KUAL.
Old 11-24-2023, 02:16 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightree View Post
Which FW version would you advise for PW5?

Is it possible to just downgrade KPP app?
I've spent quite a bit of time getting rid of updates and other OS configuration, so would rather just downgrade KPP app than downgrade the whole FW.
That depends on you. I would start with the highest version that you can live with that is also less than 5.16.3

I've never heard of anyone replacing individual parts of the "OS" with older versions.

It's difficult that you have not said which fw version you are on and which prior versions you have experience with. There are a large number of different opinions over which firmware version is best.

It is still in an early stage, but have a look at the wiki page
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Firmware

There is usually a thread opened on the kindle forum whenever a new firmware is released. These usually mention new features, lost features, and various annoyances.

Quote:
Do you know which partition dev name/number in 5.16 developer keys are stored in?
The keys used to be in a file in /etc uks.somthing and starting in 5.16 they are in a squashfs, presumably in /etc

Even more recently executable binaries use the hardware floating point ISA.
Old 11-24-2023, 02:19 PM   #10
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
I have KTERM, KUAL installed, not afraid of technicalities.
First of all, please be careful when fiddling with system bins and startup scripts. It is really easy to make Kindle boot loop if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

Second, it is safer to have USBNetwork installed and enable its option "Enable on boot" in KUAL - this way you have much better chances to revert damage during boot loop (preferrable via cable, don't rely on USBNetwork over Wi-Fi - wi-fi daemon might not even start and laso catch the proper network if things are too bad).

Third, here is a non-intrusive idea:
I double-checked this command and it works in Kindle Scribe 5.16.2. From SSH terminal:
Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start app://com.lab126.booklet.home
Now, this brings you to the same home tab. But maybe there is another one that brings you to the library?

I don't know where to check, but this a good starting point.

Then, there should be the last startup script somehwere in /etc/init.d or something similar (didn't check it on 5.16.2 yet, trying to remember what it was on PW3 with 5.9.7). I think (and hope) that adding stuff to the very end of it should be safe, but I've never tested it.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 03:51 PM   #11
Hightree
Enthusiast

Quote:
It's difficult that you have not said which fw version you are on and which prior versions you have experience with.
sorry 5.15.1.
No experience with any prior/later FW.
Old 11-24-2023, 03:55 PM   #12
Hightree
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Second, it is safer to have USBNetwork installed and enable its option "Enable on boot" in KUAL - this way you have much better chances to revert damage during boot loop (preferrable via cable, don't rely on USBNetwork over Wi-Fi - wi-fi daemon might not even start and laso catch the proper network if things are too bad).
Of course, I already have USBnet starting on boot, I would brick it 10 times otherwise already
Thank you anyway!

I do have Wi-Fi enabled. If wi-fi daemon does not start, wouldn't ssh over USB still work?
Old 11-24-2023, 04:07 PM   #13
Hightree
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Now, this brings you to the same home tab. But maybe there is another one that brings you to the library?
If there's lipc event for switching to library page - it would show up in the log.
I studied log during switching to library page and couldn't find any lipc event.
Its probably just hardcoded.
I think the only hope is some setting in one of .db files if exist at all.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:08 PM   #14
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@Hightree,

Yes, but there is also a dangerous option in USB Network to limit SSH to Wi-Fi only (sorry, forgot to include that detail).
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:52 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Quote:
sorry 5.15.1.
No experience with any prior/later FW.
A side effect of amazon's Source Code Notice page is to list the firmwares for each kindle model (except that a few firmware got omitted, e.g. 5.10.3 on the KV.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200203720

For the PW5, you can go as low as 5.14.1.1

Tags
launcher, library, paperwhite 5, registration