Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #586
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
"What with most eBook reading devices having 6" displays."

It's a convenient size. Actually, a fair few have 5" screens as well these days. Smaller readers for novel reading... sure, they're going to typically munge technical books and the like horribly, but they're not really intended for such!
Well, it's not altogether out of the question for especially sized PDFs are made for them. I made an iPhone sized version of Intro. to Mathematical Philosophy, which is somewhat technical, and the iPhone screen is even smaller than the 5" screen.

Quote:
Although again I'd note that very hopefully the next ePub standard will support MathML natively...
Agreed. In the meantime, though, if you want to stick with HTML or XML source, and want pretty good looking output -- not quite as nice a LaTeX in my opinion, but pretty good -- you could try converting to PDF via Prince XML. It uses even uses TeX's hyphenation algorithm, and has some other nice features we've been praising TeX for, despite using XML source It also has *some* support from MathML, though I don't think it's comprehensive. (Haven't tested that yet.)

I've started a thread about Prince XML here with some screenshots comparing to those I already posted in this thread for ADE's ePub vs. LaTeX.

Last edited by frabjous; 09-12-2009 at 01:17 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #587
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Although again I'd note that very hopefully the next ePub standard will support MathML natively...
Doesn't XHTML already "support" it?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #588
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post

- Ahi
Bah, tell that to adobe ! (They should read the w3c website, really...)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #589
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Bah, tell that to adobe ! (They should read the w3c website, really...)
Actually, I was trying to imply that I expect adobe to support MathML the same way that browsers support it: techically, if even that, but practically either not at all or not well.

- Ahi
Old 09-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #590
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:

- Ahi
It's not in the current ePuB standard. It looks almost certain it will be in the next revision.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #591
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
One of the thing that need to be added to epub is a better support for tables and images.

I have an ePub from o'reilly, it's a bit of a mess with that when image or table or larger than sceen. I like the o'reilly way. You pay, and you can download mobi or ePub or pdf, drm free, anytime you want. That's the way it shoud be everywhere.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #592
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
One of the thing that need to be added to epub is a better support for tables and images.
I do not believe this is an ePUB format problem but a problem in the rendering software/firmware.

One trick mobi does in some implementations, that I like, is to use the next page button a bit different on a too wide table. Instead of going to the next page it shifts the table to the left thereby letting you view the part of the table that was cut off. These is an almost transparent intuitive solution that works pretty well for most tables. Hitting the previous page button while scrolled over will scroll back.

Many readers have a special view mode for images that allow independent zoom and pan of the image.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:26 AM   #593
sanders
Connoisseur
sanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex Iliad
Quote:
Any chance you are a GUI programmer extraordinaire?
Well - perhaps not "extraordinaire", and certainly not with spare time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi
Hmmm... might not the sales of a 6" version warrant the extra effort well over even the combined potential sales of an 8" and a 10" version? (What with most eBook reading devices having 6" displays.)
I just took 8" as a guideline, I figured the 6" people will have to scale down. There's only so much you can minimize the pages of technical documentation before it starts to get almost impossible to get good looking pages.

Also, it's not just the layout I made different. Apart from minor text changes ("the graph above" versus "the graph on the next page") which could be automated, there's also the fact that e-readers offer functionality real books don't. For example, you can zoom in! My book happens to have an illustration of the Mandelbrot set, and in the ebook version I added some text to encourage the reader to zoom in on the set.

In principle, ebooks could be much more interactive too. Imagine a math tutorial where you could edit parameters of graphs and have them regenerated on the fly!
sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #594
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The problem is there aren't many implementations of viewing mathml --- opensource.adobe.com actually uses .gif images (w/ the LaTeX source code as the alt text) for any equations.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #595
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
The problem is there aren't many implementations of viewing mathml --- opensource.adobe.com actually uses .gif images (w/ the LaTeX source code as the alt text) for any equations.

William
Oh, but there will be for ePub. After all... it's ePub. EPUB!!!

But, to be serious, yes, your point was basically my point. MathML becoming an ePub standard should only make those weary of life hold their breaths for quality mathematics support.

- Ahi
Old 11-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #596
ilya239
ilya239 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Perhaps PDF can be an eBook format in the future. But, PDF viewers, espesially on eBook reader devices would need to be able to reflow the text, hypehnate, allow for font size changes
Some PDF viewers now do that, e.g. Good Reader from goodiware.
ilya239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:51 AM   #597
silentfish
Onyx Boox User
silentfish began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Well, if you have a very technical book with graphs, figures, tables,charts on virtually every page, you will find there's NO format in the world that is an ebook format, for the 6-'' sized ebook readers.

PDF is an excellent format to present technical documents/books with large portion of non-text content, I doubt if there was any better format available.

ebook itself is not necessarily for reading devices, for a very long time people read ebooks on their computer screen. So ebook format is not necessarily the format for ebook reading device.

So PDF is definitely an excellent ebook format, though not a good format in case of book with graphs/charts/tables for 6-'' sized ebook reading devices (Dude, is there any format could do that better than PDF? I don't think so).
silentfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #598
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
You can have a technical book like that, it just has to be designed for that size --- one of our customers for a long publishes a medical reference book w/ a number of tables and figures in a small 4 x 6 in. format which is quite readable on my PRS-505.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #599
whormongr
whormongr began at the beginning.

Device: astak 5" pocket pro
using a pocket pro I haven't really had much of an issue so far with pdf- so long as I set the text to medium it gives me a full page preview and then reflows the text on the next page - one plus about having pdf is that it is pretty universal if you need to hand it off to someone w/o ebook reading capabilities- I mean if I wanted to say, read something on my reader and needed to send it to my mom if I sent her a .lit or a .pub or even a .doc she would prolly have troubles opening on her computer it up but she would be able to open a pdf
whormongr is offline   Reply With Quote