Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'd like the Fire Kindle, don't need it though, just saying.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "allowed". It's WiFi only - are you suggesting that Amazon are going to restrict your WiFi usage?
nio not the wifi. i heard that the Fire might actually have a whispernet connection for delivering books/media to the device. i was saying if that is true they probably wont allow too much(if any) regular browsing over that whispernet. it might be restricted to just the amazon media sites. like when you choose the store it might connect over the whispernet instead of the wifi but if you bring up the browser itself it may only connect over wifi.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
nio not the wifi. i heard that the Fire might actually have a whispernet connection for delivering books/media to the device. i was saying if that is true they probably wont allow too much(if any) regular browsing over that whispernet. it might be restricted to just the amazon media sites. like when you choose the store it might connect over the whispernet instead of the wifi but if you bring up the browser itself it may only connect over wifi.
I don't think it has 3G hardware at all. Bezos mentioned Whispersync, which is the wireless syncing, but not Whispernet, which is their 3G network thing.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
No, it doesn't have 3G. "Whispernet" in this case refers to wireless content delivery over WiFi, and also to content syncing between devices. But it's all WiFi. Definitely and absolutely no 3G .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #20
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I don't see how Nook and Sony can continue as more than marginal competitors in the e-ink field. Pretty much all of the Nook ST advantages have evaporated with the new Kindle and the introduction of Overdrive lending. I don't see anything left in its favor, aside from in-store reading and ePub, for those who want to support the open format ideal.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
First Sony and now Amazon bring out new readers. How am I supposed to decide on what to tell my family to get me for my birthday.

I know! I'll get both! At these prices, that's starting to look affordable.

I'm not interested in 3G on my reader as will load all my books before leaving the house and when I read, I prefer a one-handed experience so wont be using the touch-screen for page control. So of the Kindles, I'm looking at the cheapest model for £89. Sounds like a bargin.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #22
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd guess it's simply a matter of the number that they can manufacture. Apple did much the same with the iPad 2. My guess would be that we'll see a European launch of the touch models after Christmas.
I think you are spot on. I shall hang onto my Kindle 3G until the 3G Touch turns up here. Then I think it will be very tempting!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #23
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Looking at the photo of the Fire on the product page, there appears to be a small circular thing in the top left corner of the device, at least in some of the photos. Anyone know what that is? Light sensor?

OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It certainly looks like a light sensor, yes.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #25
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Poor Sony. When they developed the IR Touch Screen, who would have thought they'd be playing second fiddle to Amazon in the touch reader market...

That said, anyone notice that all of the next generation eReaders are starting to look eerily similar? nook touch, kindle, kobo, t1..

I didn't even know they were making the announcement today until I got a text from my girlfriend asking if she should get a Kindle Fire.

They do look nice though...I always said my biggest gripe with the Kindle was the chiclet keyboards..

Not a fan of the kso prices being advertised as "the price" though. Wonder how many people are going to preorder one not realizing that they're getting an ad supported reader
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #26
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
So, the cheapest one has no touch screen, no wifi and no 3g, correct?

It's just a basic reader - much like the early Sonys - only with advertising and made from plastic.

Nice of Amazon to hit all the price points - and I'm sincere about that - but it might now kill all those 'Kindle is better than everything in every way' arguments.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
No - it does have WiFi.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Not a fan of the kso prices being advertised as "the price" though. Wonder how many people are going to preorder one not realizing that they're getting an ad supported reader
But the ads are only noticeable if you stare at your screen savers or stare at the tiny ad banner at the bottom of the home page. I do neither, so they're not noticeable to me. To me, the offers and lower device price are well worth it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #29
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

It's just a basic reader - much like the early Sonys - only with advertising and made from plastic.

Nice of Amazon to hit all the price points - and I'm sincere about that - but it might now kill all those 'Kindle is better than everything in every way' arguments.
It has been a long time since I have argued that.

The way I see it now is that the only major factors that differentiate a Kindle from a Nook/Kobo/Sony is the format and the memory card slot.

Most people don't care about the format, the people posting at sites like this are the exception to the rule. Most people are not going to care about the memory card slot because most people know that storing 3,500 books is more then enough.

The fact that there are two Kindles below the $100 price point is huge. That is what is going to hurt Nook/Sony/Kobo. Unless BN is getting ready to announce a huge price cut on its models or put out that bare bones reader, Kindle is going to regain any momentum that it has lost in the last year.

Honestly, the readers all have the same features and look pretty similar. The price is what differentiates them now.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #30
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I don't see any mention of ad-supported on the Amazon UK site, does that mean that the UK ones are not the KSO variant?
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote