Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 03:48 AM   #16
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
I haven't used keyboards with the Cherry blue or brown switches, but I have used the original IBM Model M, a Unicomp keyboard and a Dell 101. I would rate them from better to worse in that order. The Dell is quite loud but feels nowhere near as solid, reliable and stable as the other two options.

As for original Model Ms, eBay is your friend, although it can take a while to get one for a less than outrageous price.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #17
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
BookCat, I wish I could remember where it is that you can get them, but some of the guys at work have more modern mechanical keyboards that do everything from lighting up to having programmable layouts, flashing light patterns, etc. But yeah, mechanical keyboards are very popular where I work.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
BookCat, I wish I could remember where it is that you can get them, but some of the guys at work have more modern mechanical keyboards that do everything from lighting up to having programmable layouts, flashing light patterns, etc. But yeah, mechanical keyboards are very popular where I work.
Best Buy maybe.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Dazrin: Are you talking about the MS Sculpt ergonomic keyboard? I've never really felt the need for an ergonomic keyboard, but I'm sure that time will come. You can dampen the noise on the MX browns by putting O rings on them; but noise is a common factor of the MX switches (as opposed to membrane keyboards). Maybe you could buy your children membrane keyboards to save your sanity!
I use a "Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000", I don't care much for the Sculpt Ergonomic since they messed with the insert/delete block and arrow keys, and the . I am also not used to the super short stroke length of chiclet/laptop type keys. I have considered the new Surface Ergonomic Keyboard but I doubt I will get one of those until the price drops a lot. I have a couple spare MS4000s that I will go through first. And if I get really desperate I have an original Microsoft Natural Keyboard sitting in a closet too (from 1994/5 I think).

As for o-rings, the noise isn't as bad as the shape for me and the browns really aren't that loud, just relative to a membrane keyboard. I have been using an ergonomic keyboard for almost 20 years and I can't stand the shape of a regular keyboard for long any more. My work laptop is torture when I have to be on the road.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #20
jdcarpe
jdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watch

Device: K2, K3, PW3, KT3, PW3-32, PRS-650, NST, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I have been using an ergonomic keyboard for almost 20 years and I can't stand the shape of a regular keyboard for long any more. My work laptop is torture when I have to be on the road.
You should try a Keyboardio Model 01. The creator, Jesse Vincent, really put a lot of thought into the design and personally oversees production to ensure quality control.

JD
jdcarpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #21
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcarpe View Post
You should try a Keyboardio Model 01. The creator, Jesse Vincent, really put a lot of thought into the design and personally oversees production to ensure quality control.
Do you realize how many MS 4000s I could buy for the price of one of those? I'm not picky enough about keyboard keys that that is even close to worth it for me.

It does look nice though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #22
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
My Unicomp buckling spring series M-type keyboard was delivered this week and I am a very happy man. It's maybe not quite as "solid" as the original, but it is very solid. It's big and heavy and quite rigid. The keys have a positive feel and do not register a stroke until they click. Neither bells nor whistles. It has already made me a better typist because it makes fewer typos than my previous keyboard with the Cherry Blue switches.

All I need it for is typing. I don't use it for gaming. It just sits in the drawer of my desk waiting for me to use it. No backlighting or lighted keys.

I don't know how it compares to your favorite typewriter, BookCat, but if you used any of the first IBM PCs they probably had a keyboard very similar to this. Before keyboards got cheap and squishy.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #23
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
arjaybe: I have a Thinkpad, but it's a Lenovo, not IBM. I think the keys have scissor switches. It's an oldish one (about 7 years, I think) and has the traditional Thinkpad keys, not the island type. I always liked the keyboard, until some keys stopped registering. I hate the style of the new Thinkpads; if I have to buy one, I'll use an external keyboard. What you've said about the Unicomp is more or less what the keyboard reviewer said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A-vRZth7SI

I just wish they made a TKL version.

As I've said, the electric I had (and still possess, but the A dropped off) was a Smith Corona Electra Automatic. They're frequently available on ebay, but useless if the typing can't be transferred to a laptop. I tried to lift it recently and was amazed by the weight; it's heavier than the two laptops I have put together.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #24
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I tried brown, black, and red switches. Surprisingly, I felt the red ones were the most comfortable (for me), even though they are rarely recommended for writing. I expected the brown switches to come out as the clear winner (and then I would have tried blues next), but the click didn’t work for me. I only tried for a couple weeks, which probably wasn’t long enough, but the reds just gave me a much better experience (more speed and accuracy, too), so I stopped experimenting as it was getting expensive and confusing.

The victorious keyboard is a tenkeyless Corsair K65 without gimmicks. The one with the brown switches is a K70 and the keyboard with the black switches is a SteelSeries model. I quite like the short keyboard as the mouse is closer to me and there’s more room on the desk.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:32 PM   #25
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I have a Razer Black Widow Chroma that I use for my laptop. I much prefer the mechanical keys, but for serious typing I go to my MS ergonomic.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mechanical keyboards, writing