Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #16
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
FWIW Kindle for iOS lets you download everything in a given collection. Maybe they’ll some day add this feature to Kindle (though it could render your Kindle unusable for some hours while it indexes everything).
I've had limited luck with that on my ipads and iPhone. Sometimes it'll just crash, other times seems to get stuck.

I'm not a fan of the Kindle apps for IOS. I want the eink screens for easier reading, and find the android devices much easier to load. Loading the paperwhite, even with 32 gig, is a test of my patience. I just wish I could turn the indexing off, because I never use it except for title/author search.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:12 AM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I've had limited luck with that on my ipads and iPhone. Sometimes it'll just crash, other times seems to get stuck.

I'm not a fan of the Kindle apps for IOS. I want the eink screens for easier reading, and find the android devices much easier to load. Loading the paperwhite, even with 32 gig, is a test of my patience. I just wish I could turn the indexing off, because I never use it except for title/author search.
I have used the download everything in collection at least once and had no problem with it. Again, I’m not generally ‘loading up’, just using this to restore what was on an iOS device that I’m replacing with a new one.

The iOS app is nearly indistinguishable from the Android app, but has the advantage that it is impossible to purchase anything in-app, thanks to Apple (but you can borrow freely from Kindle Unlimited). Collections cannot be sorted (have to sort manually), and it lacks Word Runner. But I like to use Speak Screen sometimes, and that is much simpler to use than Android screen reader, which requires more specific skills with accessibility just to have it read the screen (and why don’t they just add TTS? It’s not like many people will bother to get a Fire tablet for that feature).

I use immersion reading a lot on iOS, and like using scrolling, neither is supported on Kindle for obvious reasons. My eyes are fine with reading on LCD/OLED; I almost never use anything but white text on black theme, which I think helps. I find it much more comfortable than Kindle in low light situations.

Looks like the PWSE I ordered will be coming next week; looking forward to the snappier responsiveness and the larger screen, and maybe I’ll like the warm light. My main complaint with PW4 is that it’s slow (not so much page turns but just transition between books).

With a faster CPU, It would be nice if they’d restore plain old TTS (in addition to VoiceView) and support more languages. I’d like it if it would also do some form of immersion reading so audiobook could play as you follow along in the text with synchronized page turns. But it is probably too much to hope for.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-26-2021 at 02:22 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #18
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
But then I don’t have a use case to send a bunch of books at once to a Kindle; it’s just not something I have done, or can imagine wanting to do.
I only do it at initial-population time, because I want at least *one* Kindle I own to store a copy of every ebook I possess, dammit. A book on Amazon's servers doesn't count as a book I own in my view.

These days, it takes... a while.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #19
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I only do it at initial-population time, because I want at least *one* Kindle I own to store a copy of every ebook I possess, dammit. A book on Amazon's servers doesn't count as a book I own in my view.

Yeah. It's a long-term project for me.

I have a PW, and while it's okay for reading, it's not my favorite device, and the one that is I'm leery of endangering. I throw the PW in my purse when going somewhere, like on trips or staying over at my kid's house. If it gets broken or something, it's easily replaceable. I can fill it and leave it in my purse for long periods.

And I like to have as much of my library on it as possible. It's why I paid for the most gig, which it doesn't seem able to handle. Getting books on it, through Amazon is a real chore. I've had it spontaneously reboot and wipe the memory out on a few occasions. Probably overloaded it, or got too many books in the download queue.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

Why not just store them on your computer?

While I too keep lots of books on my ereaders, my whole library is too big to fit on any (over 50GB), so I'm free of that dilemma. And of course I sideload everything, so can fine-tune how much to send over in one go.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #21
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

While I too keep lots of books on my ereaders, my whole library is too big to fit on any (over 50GB), so I'm free of that dilemma. And of course I sideload everything, so can fine-tune how much to send over in one go.
You can store them on your computer and still want them on a portable device for reading.

I have wifi devices only, and when out or traveling, don't have the option of connecting to my computer to load the next books. So I like to have as many as the device will hold loaded and ready to go.

But loading and memory size isn't the whole story. The kindles may have 32 gig, but I've found they won't work, nor load, anything like that amount of books. Not even ones downloaded from their site. I suspect the larger drive is for the larger audio files, and the programming and the processor not up to handling over a certain amount of books.

Downloading over wifi from Amazon's website takes time, and sometimes my kindle doesn't ever get the books sent. Otherwise, you have to go into the lists and download the books one at a time, which can be very slow.

Which is doubly annoying when it reboots and erases everything you've already loaded.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Comics and Asian material uses hugely more space than western eBooks. Also next step up in storage after 4G is probably 32G for new products at only a few cents more.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #23
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because my computer is a terrible e-reading device. I mean, yes, I have them there *too*, but I do want them on a device I can use to read them at whim if I want to.

My library is nowhere near 50GiB so this is quite practical. (I have no idea how anyone could read that much in one lifetime. Does this include lots of huge anthologies you only read one thing in, or lots of manga, or something?)
Old 11-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
My library is nowhere near 50GiB so this is quite practical. (I have no idea how anyone could read that much in one lifetime. Does this include lots of huge anthologies you only read one thing in, or lots of manga, or something?)
Of course I have no hope to read them all, or even half of them. Most of those 50 GB are still unread. I just buy A LOT more than I read. Who knows, they may invent a life extension technology in my lifetime.

No manga, they're just regular books. They do have hi-res covers, though, which contribute to the overall size.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:45 AM   #25
NullNix
Guru

Quote:
Most of those 50 GB are still unread. I just buy A LOT more than I read
So do I, but, wow, I am not worthy. I just have an unread bookcase or two. You have an unread library building.