Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-10-2020, 12:26 AM   #1
kirk8677
Enthusiast
kirk8677 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Print selection or selected pages to PDF?

Hi all! I often want to print just a few pages from an EPUB book, but as far as I can tell Calibre only allows printing an entire book to PDF, and then one would have to extract the individual pages after, which is somewhat time consuming.

Has it ever been considered to have a simple "print selection" or print specific pages? THis would be an awesome feature in my opinion.

The issue is compounded because as far as I can tell, the other commonly available ereaders (e.g. Apple Books) basically don't support printing at all, even if the book is not protected. I can't find an EPUB reader for the Mac that has a good print capability.
kirk8677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:37 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just copy paste your selection into some word processor and print from there. Though you will of course lose formatting, but the text should be printed fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2020, 01:10 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
FTR - I've noticed that formatting is not lost if you copy a passage from the viewer and paste it into Word, there's an option in Word to Paste without any formatting. Not sure about complex formatting such as tables etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
kirk8677
Enthusiast
kirk8677 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you, I will try that. I mainly use Calibre for cookbooks, so the photos and formatting are important for recipes especially. It would certainly be nice to preserve the full book. I like to just send a recipe to a friend that looks nice
kirk8677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Perhaps printing then deleting unwanted pages or extracting wanted pages is an option. There are a zillion online tools that let you delete pages. For windows there are free tools like 7-PDF split-and-merge that avoid sending your file to some online site. I have no idea if something similar exists for a mac.

A similar idea: if you can print to a pdf then open the pdf generated by calibre and print the pages you want to a new file.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2021, 02:01 AM   #6
early
early began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just copy paste your selection into some word processor and print from there.
This does not work unless you only want to print one screenful or less. There's still no way to print more than one screenful at a time because when you try to expand your selection by click-and-dragging it just stops at the bottom of the screen. It doesn't scroll down to expand the selection like when you select text in a Word doc or website.
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:25 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Read https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/vie...hlighting-text to learn how to expand the selection to multiple pages.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:31 AM   #8
early
early began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Read https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/vie...hlighting-text to learn how to expand the selection to multiple pages.
Still doesn't work because (1) that's for highlighting, not selecting; (2) it's for touch screens (I thought the whole point of Calibre was that it was for reading ebooks on normal computers, not tablets); (3) shift-click and right-click don't do anything.
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:34 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

1) highlighting works by creating selections
2) No, it isnt
3) Create a selection first then shift click and right click will extend it.