Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #61
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
We've finished My Life is Murder - not great but fun to see Lucy Lawless back in action - and Doc Martin S9 which I thought was one of the best. Great balance of roles, too much Joe in recent seasons IMO, more for the adorable, underused Morwena this time. Ended on a cliffhanger so hopefully a S10 next year.

Next up will probably be Queens of Mystery or Winter.
I've seen a lot of Doc Martin on PBS over the years. I think maybe S8 was the last one that's been on TV where I am. It was always a hit-or-miss show for me. What I would do was watch the first five or ten minutes to see what the plot of the week was. If it was something I wasn't very interested in or a character I didn't like then I would turn it off, wait until about 5 or 10 minutes before the end, and turn it back on to see how the plot was wrapped up. I'm glad to hear season 9 is good. I agree with you about Joe - a little goes a long way.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #62
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I've seen a lot of Doc Martin on PBS over the years. I think maybe S8 was the last one that's been on TV where I am. It was always a hit-or-miss show for me. What I would do was watch the first five or ten minutes to see what the plot of the week was. If it was something I wasn't very interested in or a character I didn't like then I would turn it off, wait until about 5 or 10 minutes before the end, and turn it back on to see how the plot was wrapped up. I'm glad to hear season 9 is good. I agree with you about Joe - a little goes a long way.
DM isn't for everyone -I was lukewarm on it at first but then it took me a while to adjust to British-style TV in general. Now all but a handful of my favorites are British/Irish/Aus/NZ.

They've made Joe a bit less cartoonish and all the characters a bit more likeable IMO, with less personal conflict. Even Bert isn't too far off the rails this time.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #63
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
If you get a chance to watch Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) in anything else, take it. He is amazing actor.

We love Brit tv. Doc Martin is the reason I have Port Isaac on my dream trip to the U.K. It's so beautiful there.

I'm rewatching Gilmore Girls while I'm sewing face masks. Closing in on 400.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #64
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
If you get a chance to watch Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) in anything else, take it. He is amazing actor.

We love Brit tv. Doc Martin is the reason I have Port Isaac on my dream trip to the U.K. It's so beautiful there.

I'm rewatching Gilmore Girls while I'm sewing face masks. Closing in on 400.
We recently watched him in Manhunt. I saw somewhere that Russel T. Davies considered him for the new Dr. Who before going with Eccleston. That would have been interesting.

In one of the extras on Acorn's S9 they mention that DM accounts for 10+% of Cornwall's annual tourism...
Old 05-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #65
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Clunes is in a 18 episode show from 2003 called William and Mary. It was by far one of the best shows we've ever watched. The production values of the show are first rate. It's available to watch free on Amazon for Prime members.

He's been in some quirky stuff. He is one of those actors who can really move you without saying a word. There is an episode of Doc Martin with his mother being flat out horrible to him, and his expressions and non-verbal reaction to her tore me up.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #66
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I just discovered that my sister has never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show. We were planning on a musical feel bank holiday next week, TRHPS will need to be watched. I need to dig out my special edition DVD. I've also found several other musicals I have on DVD and that are on streaming. We can't watch them all, but we'll just see what we're in the mood for.

I never realized I'm such a musical fan.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #67
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

We're enjoying Queens of Mystery, about a young detective plagued by 3 adoring but meddling aunts. One of the XP/writers is Doc Martin's Julian Unthank.

Another quirky gem worth mentioning is Detectorists with Toby Jones, Mackenzie Crook and Rachael Stirling (with appearances by her mom Diana Rigg).
Old 05-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #68
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still need to watch the final two episodes of the third season of The 100. Meanwhile I'm watch the first season of Destination Fear. Which features a lot of screaming, though not as much as UK's Most Haunted.

Not sure what to watch next. I'm not really in the mood for anything available to me. So I might just work on my film watch list next week.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #69
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Speaking of films, Crackle is streaming a 2016 indie from NZ called Cooped Up. It didn't get much attention but COVID is putting it on the map. We're going to try to watch it after we finish Baptiste...
Old 05-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #70
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Finished Baptiste - excellent IMO. Complicated 6-hour story with complicated characters but so well done that we had no problem keeping everything straight. None of the usual plot holes or contrived red herrings (OK, the basement guy was a bit of a stretch). I've seen Tom Hollander in a few things and he aced this almost to the same extent that James Nesbitt did in the first The Missing. Jessica Rainee was also brilliant as Genevieve but all the cast really stepped up IMO.

Also watched Cooped Up (Australian, not NZ as I said before). Weird to see a 2016 film about a deadly coronavirus quarantine, though not from China this time. Normally I'd never watch something like this but current events make it worth a look.

Next up maybe Midsomer S21...
Old 05-23-2020, 02:52 AM   #71
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

When I stayed at my sister's place we watched the first half of West Side Story. It didn't interest me much, the story was too slow. Though I did like the songs and dances. She's going to finish that one on her own.

We also watched BlackKKlansmen and Hairspray (2007). So it looks like we went for a theme this bank holiday. Both I had already seen, but enjoyed nonetheless.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:29 PM   #72
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Watched and enjoyed the 2015 Australian miniseries Winter on Acorn. Now back to reading for a while - 3 library borrows to finish before they expire...
Old 05-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Military documentaries on the History Channel.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #74
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

On a whim I started the second season of The Sinner on Netflix. I thought the first season was okay, good enough to leave it on my watchlist for later seasons.

For some reason the second series interests me more than the first. And instead of just watching one episode I watched two.

I also, finally, finished the third season of The 100. I always seem to lose interest towards the end of a season with this series. But the final two episodes were really good.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #75
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Now all but a handful of my favorites are British/Irish/Aus/NZ.
I don't think I've watched a lot of TV shows from New Zealand, do you have any recommendations?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote