Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-21-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
holdit
Connoisseur
holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, IPad
Older version of Sigil

I'm now in Big Sur 11.6, I opened Sigil and it reminded me of an update. Soon as I did that and re opened the entire Sigil interface is different. Much more confusing to me as I have been using Sigil for 8+ years looking at the same interface until now. Is there anyway I can download and older version of Sigil and remain with it and not have to update.

I tried to download older versions but they always come up with the newer interface. Do I have to delete any other files??? Preference files ??

???
holdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:19 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You can stay with whatever version of Sigil you want for as long as you like, and you never have to update. Just dismiss any "New Version" messages you may occasionally get. All versions of Sigil are available for download from Sigil's Github releases section.

As to why you can't get any of these older versions to work properly, I'll leave that up to the Mac experts.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
What are you missing? Are you looking for BookView? If so you should download Sigil-0.9.14.

If you just want the old icons back with a more recent version of Sigil, you can just install the Legacy icon theme from our Sigil Icon theme repo.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
holdit
Connoisseur
holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thx Kevin, its the interface design that throws me off the older design with the option to view book and code next to each other among other things. I tried to download an install older versions which previously had that interface but they all seem to show up nw under the colored interface. I even uninstalled ALL the Sigil files using n uninstaller app. But when I go to re install I still get the same interface.

What version (Mac) did the new interface first appear in? I want to make sure I'm redownloading the version BEOFRE the change.

Thx R
Old 10-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #5
holdit
Connoisseur

Ah yes! got it 0.9.14 it is!
Old 10-22-2021, 04:10 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post
Thx Kevin, its the interface design that throws me off the older design with the option to view book and code next to each other among other things.
Back in 2019, I wrote step-by-step instructions on how to install PageEdit + get it working in Sigil.

PageEdit is like the "new" BookView. Instead of being built into Sigil though, it's a separate program. But once you install it using that method above, it'll be a button-click away, similar to the old BookView!

You can also press View > Preview (F10) to display a read-only preview window. This will visually show you what the book looks like as you work on the code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post
Ah yes! got it 0.9.14 it is!
Yep, that's the last version before BookView was taken out.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-23-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:37 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
"…the interface design that throws me off the older design with the option to view book and code next to each other"
Says to me the OP wants the Preview window, to get that they should press F10. It's a toggle.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-22-2021 at 05:36 PM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, Preview and CodeView are the only way to see things side by side. I am not sure what is being asked for here. That is why I suggested the latest Sigil with the Legacy Icons installed (obviously with Preview turned on).
Old 10-22-2021, 10:03 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sigil did use to have a split view (CV+BV) that was a synchronization nightmare. Maybe that's what they're remembering. But that has been gone since before beta versions of Sigil 0.6.0. We're talking nearly a decade. Before Kevin and I took over maintenance.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:08 AM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Wow, I never new that. I can see that synchronizing changes across the two windows side by side would be a nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sigil did use to have a split view (CV+BV) that was a synchronization nightmare. Maybe that's what they're remembering. But that has been gone since before beta versions of Sigil 0.6.0. We're talking nearly a decade. Before Kevin and I took over maintenance.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yes. I downloaded an installer from a Google Code archive and was able to break the synchronization within a few seconds (just like I remembered). The views available were Book View (F9), Split View (F10), and Code View (F11). It was actually split horizontally.

Attached is a screenshot of Sigil 0.5.3's Split View in action (QStackedWidget with a horizontal splitter). Split View disappeared sometime before the official 0.6.0 release (which represented a considerable overhaul of Sigil at the time). It was deemed much easier to ditch than maintain. Seems we weren't the first Sigil devs to ditch popular, but terribly problematic, inherited boat-anchor features.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil-0.5.3.png
Views:	597
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	189789