Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Question Help Hacking Pandigital Reader

Does anyone know how to remove the existing driver so I can install the new driver required to install the hacks?

I have googled, but all results seem to be on slatedroid which has been down since I brought this reader home. I am seriously excited to try it, as it seems much easier to hold and better designed than The Book, but can't!

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
This is actually a general Windows question. I can tell you hpw to fix this on WinXP.

Right click on My Computer and select Properties.

Select the Hardware tab.

Click the device Manager button.

One of the drivers needs to be uninstalled. I looked at mine, and I'm not sure which one you need to remove.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know where else to ask it.

The problem is the driver installs automatically every time I plug in the reader. If I click on status and stop the driver installing there is nothing for me to update to install the new driver.

If I let the driver install (Android Composite ADB Interface) I can't update it. I am told I already have the best driver installed for my system. If I uninstall it, I just start the loop all over again.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Marcy
Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
akira28
Nameless Being

Hi Marcy.

Uninstall the driver and leave the device plugged in. Then in the device manager the PD should show up under something like Other Devices with a yellow question mark. (It should not reinstall the driver unless you disconnect then reconnect the PD). If it doesn't you may need to scan for hardware changed under the Action menu.

Right click on the yellow marked entry and update the software driver by browsing to the folder you downloaded. The new driver should then be recognized and installed.

Last edited by akira28; 07-25-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Marcy
Guru

Hi akira-

After uninstalling the driver I have to reboot to get it to take effect. The reader now appears under Portable Devices with the driver called PD_Novel. If I try and update that I get the same "The best driver software for your device is already installed message."

I then uninstalled that and found the driver with the yellow exclamation point (finally!). I then installed the new driver, Android Composite ADB Interface. It now appears under Android Phones.

Thank you so much!! I wish loads of karma upon you. Hopefully this will help anyone else with Windows 7.

-Marcy
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
Marcy
Guru

Hmm. Well can someone now try telling me how to install the apps?

I copied them to the reader, opened the terminal emulator, went to the directory the apps are in and tried

adb install aldiko.apk

and am told

adb: permission denied

Same for amazon and kobo.

Sigh. I didn't know this would be such a trial!

-Marcy
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
akira28
Nameless Being

Marcy,

The instructions were a little vague that came with the install files. You install the files from the command line on your PC while your PD is attached. You navigate to the folder using the "cd" command. From there you can use "adb install xxx.apk".

For instance if you open your PC's terminal and have your folder on your destkop, assuming your terminal opens to your name home directory, you would then type:

cd Desktop/<Name of folder>

where the name of the folder probably begins with "Hack... ". To be sure you are there type "dir" at the prompt to see a list of the items. If you see those .apk's then you can type the install command.

Last edited by akira28; 07-26-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Marcy,

The instructions were a little vague that came with the install files. You install the files from the command line on your PC while your PD is attached. You navigate to the folder using the "cd" command. From there you can use "adb install xxx.apk".

For instance if you open your PC's terminal and have your folder on your destkop, assuming your terminal opens to your name home directory, you would then type:

cd Desktop/<Name of folder>

where the name of the folder probably begins with "Hack... ". To be sure you are there type "dir" at the prompt to see a list of the items. If you see those .apk's then you can type the install command.
Hi akira-

I tried that too out of desperation, but I navigated to the folder on the device I had put those files in! Argh.

Thanks again! I never could have figured this out with you.

-Marcy
Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
silerfire
silerfire began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
You're likely getting the permission denied error because you haven't rooted (gained access to the root directory as the administrative user, "root") the Novel yet. You should check out the Slatedroid forums for all community work on the PDN.

Forum: Pandigital Novel Android Tablet Discussion

Specifically, post #66 on page 7 of the topic pandigital novel rooted is what helped me the most.

Keep at it! You're almost there!
silerfire is offline   Reply With Quote