Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
It's times like this that make me love this forum.

Here's to your history of ingenuity, literacy and commitment. And it's nice to eavesdrop on people with such a healthy outlook on collaboration.

Is the interest in the format archival (for its back-catalog) or is there a viable feature set/interface/aesthetic that users still miss?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-23-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsneller View Post
The format is very simple - Only half a dozen or so commands to code for.
I couldn't find documentation for the TomeRaider source format. Can you point me to some?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
tsneller
tsneller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
TR2 /Tr3 formatting

The main benefit of the TR file format was the file compression. For example - Anna Kerenina (Tolstoy) is 1936k as a txt file, and compresses to 955kb in TR2, and 846kb in TR3. For comparison the BEST compression in WinRar creates an archive of 414kb. But for a file format that retains readability, it is quite impressive.

These are the main tags used:-
<new> Indicates a new chapter (and an entry in the file index)
<a> Used to create hyperlinks within a TR file
<b>Bold text</b>
<i>Italicise text</i>
<u>Underline Text</u>
<hr> Insert Horizontal line
<br> Insert line break.
<p> The Paragraph Tag - Indicates a new paragraph of text.
<centre>Centre Text</centre> (Centre on the page)

It was based on a small subset of HTML, and is also very similar to the forum mark-up tags.
There are a few other tags, used for tables and TAB delimited (Database) type files, but the above probably represents 95% of the tags commonly used.

I have the full file spec in a MS Word Doc - culled from the help files within TR v2 and V3.

I can email it to anyone who is interested.

I have about 400 out-of-copyright TR files formatted, including about 10 different Bible versions.
tsneller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Despite being a complete tech-idiot, I cannot help feeling this is a very interesting and worthwhile development - in short, A Very Good Thing.

Best wishes to all who further its progress....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Does nobody read posting dates on thread comments... last one from OP was years ago... rather like viability of TomeRaider...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #21
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Hey, the wildly anachronistic thread-bump was worth it for tsneller's response to me and answer to pdurrant's question.

And the current viability is validated by tsneller's open invitation to pdurrant and the rest of us (despite the OP's having gone AWOL since 2009).

So, to sum (though normally this wouldn't be true): Not out of date and not irrelevant.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-24-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #22
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Just agree to disagree then... the joys of a smaller file are really relevant if using something with little memory (in modern terms) but with multi-GB storage even on phones... not vitally important. Uses a small subset of html... just what we need - a less capable formatting ability to go back to cruder appearing books and the revival of another format because we don't have enough...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #23
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Uses a small subset of html... just what we need - a less capable formatting ability
When I look at some >10MB ePubs (as Kobo sells them) that are saturated with embedded fonts, hundreds of CSS files, thousands of styles, then yes, sometimes I think we need less formatting. Doesn't mean the book has to look worse, actually overusing styles is what causes many books to look horrible in the first place when it would look fine with just <h1> <p> <i>.

No reason for a new file format though; as long as it's still HTML you can just use a subset of HTML in regular ePub (and other html based formats)
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #24
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Uses a small subset of html... just what we need - a less capable formatting ability to go back to cruder appearing books and the revival of another format because we don't have enough...
For almost all the books I read, yes a smaller less capable format would be better, less chance for someone to screw it up. Paragraphs, headings, bold, italic. That would do the job for 95% of the books I read.
My standard workflow for converting books takes just those tags and strips out everything else. If you actually look at the code for a lot of books, it is horrible.
Markdown supports everything needed for almost all simple fiction.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #25
MatYadabyte
Zealot
MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi All (Hi Tim!),

I think Tim is right, TR2 would be the way to go, TR3 is a bloated mess now, TR3 is still a)simple and b) easy to make the files.

But is there really a place for TomeRaider at all today?

I would gladly give it all to the open source.

Incidentally I have mobilereader.co.uk, what can be done with that?

Best wishes

Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsneller View Post
Hi Mat,

You may remember me - Did a lot of Beta testing of TR2 and TR3.

More than happy to help with trying to do more development of TR. Very keen to see it on Android.

In the meantime, is anyone interested in adding TomeRaider as a Source format for Calibre. I have hundreds of books in TR2/TR3 source format, which I woul love to publish into Kindle and other formats, but I just don't have the time to do it manually.

The format is very simple - Only half a dozen or so commands to code for.
MatYadabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #26
Puffolino
Puffolino began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs650, galaxy tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatYadabyte View Post
Hi All (Hi Tim!),

I think Tim is right, TR2 would be the way to go, TR3 is a bloated mess now, TR3 is still a)simple and b) easy to make the files.

But is there really a place for TomeRaider at all today?

I would gladly give it all to the open source.

Incidentally I have mobilereader.co.uk, what can be done with that?

Best wishes

Mat
Yes, there would be a place, because there are tons of cool documents available and are waiting to be read on mobile devices!

Just one simple example: the wikipedia
- is available for different languages even today - of course in the tr3 format
- no good wikipedia offline reader app is available for android (wikidroyd is the only one which is not that bad)
- android devices are THE mobile plattform actually (75% market share in the world)

So, what is needed?
1. a simple, cool looking tomeraider for android phones AND tablets
2. a cheap (or free) service to create tr3 documents online
3. maybe an app in the google play market for creating tr3 documents
4. a plattform for all tr3 documents (could be critical to control them against copyright violations etc.)

What do you think about that after some months?
Puffolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #27
gdimike
gdimike doesn't littergdimike doesn't littergdimike doesn't litter

Device: nook classic, kobo Wifi, Kindle, Kindle Touch
Hi Mat,

Thank you for releasing TomeRaider as open source. If I were you, I would decide on what open source license to release it under, then put it onto one of the distributed open source software revision control control sites like GitHub and publicize that it's now available.

Mike
gdimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This thread is almost a year old. I'm sure the OP has made up his mind by now. Best to check the posting dates before replying to threads.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote