Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Lighted cover - returning it

Not only does it add bulk, but the light is so strong and concentrated on the top right hand corner of the device, it causes very uneven lighting.

Not sure how Amazon let this through to production. I think it's very annoying...

Anyone else not like the lighted cover?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010202.JPG
Views:	2510
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	57235   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010203.JPG
Views:	2400
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	57236   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010204.JPG
Views:	2375
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	57237  
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Sorry you don't like it.

I can't try mine out because my Kindle hasn't arrived as yet. But I think your photos look good and it is exactly as I expected (and hoped) it would be.

I mean the light looks bright enough (which was one of my worries) and I suspected that yes it would be brighter near the light source but I don't think that concerns me as previously I've used a clip on light which does exactly the same thing. It's pretty hard to get evenly distributed light unless it's coming right directly over the top as in overhead lighting.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Interesting take on the new cover - thanks. Be tween the "bulk" issue and the fact that is drains the K3's battery, I am not sold on this product yet.

For tiny, I use the Barnes & Noble little 2x2032 battery LED light. But the Mighty2 LED lamp that others like - with its 2xAA batteries - goes with me on trips.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
Any light, from any source, is going to be brighter nearest the source, and fall off in intensity further away from the source according to the inverse square ratios. It is a law of physics, and neither Amazon, or anyone else, can change it.
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover View Post
Any light, from any source, is going to be brighter nearest the source, and fall off in intensity further away from the source according to the inverse square ratios. It is a law of physics, and neither Amazon, or anyone else, can change it.
I can position my clip on light to defy the laws of physics I guess because there is no blazing strong glare on one corner when I use it.

The Amazon cover is neat, but the fixed, no-negotiation angle of the pull out light is troublesome for me.

I have 30 days. I will try it out, mostly due to the fact that Octo hasn't designed a slip case for the K3 yet, but if they do soon, the lighted cover is going back. Plus, I am mainly reading in the dark on a plane, and the overhead light is actually better for me visually...
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... fixed, no-negotiation angle ...

Thanks for the clarification. So 'tween the bulk, battery drain, and fixed position of the lamp, I continue to NOT be sold on this accessory. (grin)

Does the medium-grey keyboard letting on the dark grey background bug you? I find it REALLY not-legible.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
Interesting take on the new cover - thanks. Be tween the "bulk" issue and the fact that is drains the K3's battery, I am not sold on this product yet.

For tiny, I use the Barnes & Noble little 2x2032 battery LED light. But the Mighty2 LED lamp that others like - with its 2xAA batteries - goes with me on trips.
Where does the battery drain come in? I mean, I know the light uses the Kindle as a power source but the battery cycle on the Kindle is so immense (my Kindle 2 lasts for 3-4 weeks on one charge) that I find it hard to believe a small light is going to make a tremendous difference. I would be interested in hard facts on that issue first anyway.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
I had this on order and canceled it because it looked like that might be a problem. I had the e-Luminator2 light from m-edge and I really liked it (I sold it with my nook). I could position it however I wanted and it only took one AAA battery. I'm thinking of getting another one and a m-edge case for my K3 (when they become available - not that I'm in hurry because I just ordered my K3 the other day).

Nicole
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
coolbreeze
Addict

I've had my K3 and case for an hour, so I haven't a clue on battery drain from the light. I imagine it will be minimal at most, since it's nothing more than tiny LEDs.

The lettering on the graphite frame is perfectly readable for me.

I'm not trying to trash this cover - it's an ingenious idea. It's just the angle of which it shines on the screen is so strong in the top right corner and fades as it goes down the screen. It annoys me. For $60 I was hoping it would be perfect, but it's just not - for me.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I think the light is a very cool idea. It does throw too much light - I wish it had a few levels of brightness. I don't think it adds a lot of bulk but I don't have the regular case to compare to. I can see this coming in very handy when I travel solo but when I'm home I'll have to find an alternative (probably back to the iPad) so I don't bother my wife.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am glad that I ordered the basic cover.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

I have both the lighted and non-lighted cover arriving very shortly (on the truck for delivery), so I'll update here what I feel about both. So far I use a clip-on light.

For those that say the battery drain should be minimal, that really depends. My Mighty Bright uses 3 AAA batteries, and only lasts around 20 hours before they die. And those are LED bulbs. So I actually would expect the Kindle 3 to lose at least half of its battery life with the light on.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
I bought the cover with built-in light and I really like it. The cover itself is quite nice and the light works far better than I expected. Yes, the top right corner is lit brighter than the bottom but it doesn't bother me. I was initially concerned about the inability to adjust the position of the light but it turns out not to be a problem for me.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Well if mine would hurry up and show up, this would be an issue I could put to bed (literally, tonight).
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm not sure about the bulk complaint. Maybe the case is bulky compared to the K3, but it's slim and sturdy compared to my K1 case.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote