Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do I actually need a dictionary on my reader?
Yes, I need a dictionary on my reader 143 53.96%
No, I do not need a dictionary on my reader 122 46.04%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I havent used a dictionary in years....
I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I havent used a dictionary in years except for one word, "started" for example, jim started when I told him I saw him with my wife. and it was exactly what I thought it ment of course, its just not a defination I ever knew for certain as a child, its not hard to figure out what a word means.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm not voting. I didn't NEED an ebook reader but I WANTED one. I don't NEED a dictionary in it but I love having it and it has come in handy. I'm more likely to look up a word with the dictionary right there than I am to go find one (especially if I'm not home).

What is the point of this poll?

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-20-2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #18
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
I like your comment Format C.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #19
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I voted for not needing one.

There are times when it would be nice to have one, but on the whole I prefer doing what I do with physical books, and make a note of the word and look it up later. For me, this is far less distracting - I tend to get sidetracked when looking things up and often seem to end up researching something quite unrelated to the original thing.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #20
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not get what need means here.
Agree! JSWolf is anti-Adobe and because he didn't like the original poll question that was trying to ascertain what percentage of Adobe ebook readers would 'desire' a dictionary functionality in future Adobe products, he crafted this poll to try and prove his point.

I vote that I need a dictionary, so at the point I'm writing this, you have 5 votes that they do not 'need' a dictionary, 5 votes that they do 'need' a dictionary, and 4 votes that don't understand the ambiguous nature of the question or decline to vote because it is ambiguous.

So far JSWolf has managed to show a statistically significant 'need' for dictionary support. Congrats!
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm just trying to find out if it would be a deal-breaker if ePub support does not come with an in-line dictionary.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #22
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm just trying to find out if it would be a deal-breaker if ePub support does not come with an in-line dictionary.

That was my interpretation of rationale for the poll ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #23
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I voted for "yes".

When reading the older classics especially, there are words I've never seen before. Many times, you cannot infer the meaning by the sentence.

This is where my dictionary on my K1 has come in handy. Even older words which are no longer commonly used are there.

I like to know what words mean.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #24
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I voted for "yes".

When reading the older classics especially, there are words I've never seen before. Many times, you cannot infer the meaning by the sentence.

This is where my dictionary on my K1 has come in handy. Even older words which are no longer commonly used are there.

I like to know what words mean.

So do I, but I forget after I've turned to the next page ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #25
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The one thing holding me back from getting the Sony reader is the lack of dictionary support.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #26
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
A couple of weeks ago I would have voted no, but then...

I actually came across a word that I did not recognize and that I could not really figure out from context. First time that has happened in years and I was very happy that my Kindle 2 had it's online dictionary, a little four-way widgeting and "presto!" there it was.

KINDLE
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #27
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
A couple of weeks ago I would have voted no, but then...

I actually came across a word that I did not recognize and that I could not really figure out from context. First time that has happened in years and I was very happy that my Kindle 2 had it's online dictionary, a little four-way widgeting and "presto!" there it was.

KINDLE
I have to know what word it is now
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #28
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Dictionary support is a definite need for me. I got used to using one when I read on my PDA and dictionary support was probably what made me decide on the Kindle versus the Sony.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #29
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
For those who do not NEED a dictionary: Do you NEED an ebook reader? Do you NEED an mp3 player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't even WANT an in-line dictionary (whatever that is). I want the possibility of quickly looking up a word in a dictionary, this dictionary need not be included or built-in, I just want the opportunity of downloading and using dictionaries.

The problem with ePUB (regarding dictionaries) is that there is no format specified for dictionaries. If I wanted to create an ePUB dictionary, what should I do?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #30
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Perhaps we need a dictionary on MR so we can ascertain what "need" really means in this context. I have a paper dictionary that is used often. The only trouble is that I need to get up from reading to go look up the word. So yes I need a dictionary, at least as much as I need a reader. Unfortunately since I use my EZ Reader almost entirely and with the FBreader in OpenInkPot firmware, I don't have a dictionary on my reader.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary