Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Fictionwise help

Hi All,

I want to buy my first book from Fictionwise. It is multi-format and I have a few questions....

Which format should I choose?? Epub or LRF??

It doesn't look like it gives me an option to choose my format. I'm hoping to avoid having to do any conversion, etc myself. I simply want to download this book in whatever format necessary and load it onto my reader.

Thanks
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
You can read either LRF or ePub on your 505. I recommend ePub. You'll be able to specify the format once you buy the book and go to your Fictionwise Bookshelf. There will be a pull down list allowiung you to pick which of the multi-formats you want.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
With the multiformat books at Fictionwise you are not stuck with the format you choose at first. You can come back later and download in any or all of the other available formats.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

GOOD TO KNOW!! I actually went ahead and downloaded the LRF because thats what fictionwise said to do. I might download Epub just to see if there's any difference.

Thanks!!
Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
There are real differences between how LRF and ePUB are rendered on the PRS, which can affect your choice of which format to use:

1. LRF is displayed fully justified (straight left and right margins); ePUB is displayed left justified (straight left margin, ragged right margin).

2. ePUB is displayed with a small page number in the right margin--this can interfere with the text.

3. LRF uses real "page" numbers, ePUB uses virtual page numbers. This means that an LRF book is slower to open the very first time, or when you change the zoom factor for the first time on that book, because the software has to "pre-render" the pages to work out how many there are, so it can display the page number and total page count correctly.

4. ePUBs are an open standard and becoming more popular, and are likely to have a longer life than LRFs. However, it is easy to convert LRFs to ePUB (using Calibre), provided that they are not copy protected.

Personally, 1 & 2 are sufficient reasons for me to choose LRFs over ePUB for the time being. Also note that 1 & 2 are not problems with ePUB itself, but how the Sony software displays them. Some of us hope that Sony will address this with a new firmware update, but I have my doubts, especially considering their poor financies.

There is also the longer term to think about. When I buy an ebook I want it to last for my life time. I got burned recently by some music I bought online which I can no longer play because I upgraded my PC from XP to Vista, which requires downloading the license again, but the license provider (Microsoft MSN) is no longer active.

With ebooks I am careful to only buy products that are DRM free, or can have the DRM removed so that I can format shift if necessary at some future date, or as a last resort, are DRM ePUB which has a good chance of staying around for some time. So, in 10-20 years time, when Sony PRS505s are a distant memory, I will still be able to read my current purchases, regardless of the device I will be using by then.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

@Shellshock
At this point, being able to read the books in 10-20 years not really that important to me, as I only read books once and then I'm done with them. And if I can get 10 years use out of my 505, I will be quite happy and definitely feel I got my money's worth out of them!

So, for now I think I will keep the LRF just because it's already there, and also since I like the idea of a straighter margin.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I alway buy LRF also. It works, I'm happy with the results, so I don't see any reason to go with EPUB. I have nothing against EPUB, I do have some, but when buying and converting I do LRF.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
NuclearWinter
Enthusiast
NuclearWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle PW2, iPad Mini, Nexus 6
My preference is for LRF too, mostly for the justified text as mentioned above.
NuclearWinter is offline   Reply With Quote