Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-08-2017, 05:39 AM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I'm saying is that <em> & <strong> is no different than using <span> with a class. In fact, <i> & <b> are also no different since you can change them via CSS.

In the example GrannyGrump gave, I've never seen any commercial eBook use <em> & <strong> for anything other than italics and bold. When text is being changed, it's done via a <span>.

Yes, I know some prefer to use <em> & <strong> and that's fine. But technically, no different.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:25 AM   #77
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
VISUALLY no different. But Semantically, and for TTS, and perhaps other use-cases, --- yes, they ARE technically different.

Ok, I will stop now...
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #78
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never seen any commercial eBook use <em> & <strong> for anything other than italics and bold.
Not all texts published in the epub format come from the commercial book selling sector, increasing numbers come from the not-for-profit sector (.gov, .org, .edu etc) or they're public-domain documents from the private sector. The number of non-commercial-book epub publications may now exceed the number of commercial epub/kindle publications. As has been the case for paper, pdf etc for years.

My observation is that some of these works are much more carefully coded that just about any commercial book I've seen, especially fictional works. Next time I come across one that uses <em> for semantic italics and <i> for typographical italics I'll send you the link. I think I've seen them in ECB and/or EIB publications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Ok, I will stop now...
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #79
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
... I've never seen any commercial eBook use <em> & <strong> for anything other than italics and bold.
Maybe you had so far no special attentions for these nuances!

Source: Brennendes Geheimnis/Stefan Zweig (a fine/perfect designed ¿commercial? ePub)

Quote:
Aus dem <em class="antiqua">vis-à-vis</em> war ein Nebeneinander geworden, aus der Bekanntschaft eine Freundschaft.
Click image for larger version

Name:	vis-a-vis.png
Views:	238
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	155517
vis-à-vis
Such cases are!
Code
Spoiler:
Code:
.antiqua {
    font-family: "Courier New", monospace;