Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Aura received - first impressions

I received my Aura (Espresso) about an hour ago = ordered 5/24, shipped 5/30.

After a slightly rocky start getting it to finish updating and recognizing the books I synced from Calibre, I spent a little time familiarizing myself with it, adjusting fonts, etc. I have to say, the screen and evenness of lighting blows away the Paperwhite I'll be sending back tomorrow.

My only complaint is the wasted real estate at the top and bottom of the screen. That really ought to be addressed. What is the best way to get Kobo's attention over this issue?
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhigh View Post
My only complaint is the wasted real estate at the top and bottom of the screen. That really ought to be addressed. What is the best way to get Kobo's attention over this issue?
Something tells me that Kobo is already aware of the issue, since their staff seems to read these forums. How they address the issue likely depends upon why they implemented it this way, and how much flexibility their reasoning gives them to modify it. If we're lucky, they'll give a reading option for a full screen mode. It isn't out of the question. They seem to have implemented ideas brought up on these forums before.
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Something tells me that Kobo is already aware of the issue, since their staff seems to read these forums. How they address the issue likely depends upon why they implemented it this way, and how much flexibility their reasoning gives them to modify it. If we're lucky, they'll give a reading option for a full screen mode. It isn't out of the question. They seem to have implemented ideas brought up on these forums before.
Good to know. Even with this issue, it is still a really nice device.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo people definitely read these forums and know of the problems. But, they are the ones who decide which to do.

As to the two problems mentioned, if you are talking about kepubs, then I doubt if Kobo will change anything. They seem to have decided a long time ago that that is what the books should look like. For epubs, the same goes for the bottom area. But, we might get the top back. The title was added with FW 2.5.2, and it might go away.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
lornaw
lornaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I just purchased a Kobo Aura too. I really like and don't mind the page set up. I was checking out the different functions and decided to 'Archive All' books and ended up losing my side loaded e-books. I had to do a factory re-set b/c I could not locate those books. Luckily, I only had a few books. The only pain was doing the set up again.
lornaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
As for the wasted space at bottom, I'd be happy if they still left room for the menu bar as it appears they are if they just didn't leave a whole blank line above that area too!

OTOH, it appears the code that puts up and takes down the menus restores what was there anyhow, so I don't see why they couldn't get closer to the top and bottom with the book text...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
As for the wasted space at bottom, I'd be happy if they still left room for the menu bar as it appears they are if they just didn't leave a whole blank line above that area too!
The amount of space I see can be very small. Whenever there seems a lot, I open that menu and look at how much space to the line. It is rare that it would hole a full line of text.

But, the bottom menu area is to big. I think they could cut it by a third without changing the icons. Then the page number could be moved down so that the margin under it was at least halved.
Quote:
OTOH, it appears the code that puts up and takes down the menus restores what was there anyhow, so I don't see why they couldn't get closer to the top and bottom with the book text...
The advantage of reserving the bottom space is for the annotations/dictionary menu bar. If that popped up and covered text, you would not be able to select anything on the bottom line or two. Some other method of doing this would be possible, but this is very simple to do and use.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

The advantage of reserving the bottom space is for the annotations/dictionary menu bar. If that popped up and covered text, you would not be able to select anything on the bottom line or two. Some other method of doing this would be possible, but this is very simple to do and use.
I think Kobo's approach is backwards. Their first priority should be maximizing linear reading, i.e. a full screen mode, with options for headers and footers. They could have some other modes for text selection, dictionary lookup, annotations, ...

They've had readers out for years now, to not have a straight reading mode seems short sighted. Dedicate some resources to this, instead of a "limited edition" reader (or at least have some retailers in the U.S. so I can buy the Aura). IMO.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
(or at least have some retailers in the U.S. so I can buy the Aura). IMO.
I should be ashamed to admit this, but I have very much enjoyed having people in the US experience what we in Canada do all of the time.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I should be ashamed to admit this, but I have very much enjoyed having people in the US experience what we in Canada do all of the time.
If you're talking about product availability, they do. It's simply with products from countries other than Canada. (I think that a lot of Canadians are so focussed on the US that we have the same failing as a lot of Americans: we don't see much outside of the US. Besides ourselves, of course.)
Old 06-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Naughty, naughty, naughty
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Yeah, but you had Corner Gas before we did and that more than makes up for it.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Got mine today. It is a nice device overall and processor (my main gripe concerning ereaders) is noticeably quicker than the ones on my 2 Kobo Touch units. Light is even. Is there some way of controlling this light? Would it not be too bright in total darkness?
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
Got mine today. It is a nice device overall and processor (my main gripe concerning ereaders) is noticeably quicker than the ones on my 2 Kobo Touch units. Light is even. Is there some way of controlling this light? Would it not be too bright in total darkness?

Yes.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
One of my friends picked up an Aura at Target over the weekend.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote