Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Tune Tune
Tune Tune began at the beginning.

Device: KIndle Paperwhite
Kindle PaperWhite stops charging and now it behaves so strange

I had used this Kindle PaperWhite about 5 months and I experienced this problem two times. First time, I charged my Kindle PaperWhite approximate 5 hours. During the charging process the indicator light was turned orange color. However I did not remember that when I disconnected it from electric source, whether the indicator light was turned green color or not. I did not open it and left it in sleep mode several days. When I first opened the Kindle to read, I was so surprised because on its screen there was a big battery icon and the image instructed user needed to connect it via Usb to start charging. So I had to charge this Kindle again despite I had not used it after this charge.

The latest time I charged this Kindle, after 5 hours of charging, the led indicator light remained orange color and was not turned to green. When the Kindle was disconnected form the electric source, I opened it and saw strange thing happened with the small battery icon which located on the top right of its screen. This icon was not covered all by white color after 5 hours charging, only 1/5 space of this icon was covered by white color as it was charged about 20%.

Please give me some advices. I had restarted this Kindle several times but this problem was not solved. This phenomenon appeared after my Kindle was automatically updated via wifi.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Tune Tune; 03-04-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Tune Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Charge it on a wall charger instead of USB. When a computer goes to sleep, the USB ports may not be actively charging, and may - in fact - discharge a fully charged device.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
Tune Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Charge it on a wall charger instead of USB. When a computer goes to sleep, the USB ports may not be actively charging, and may - in fact - discharge a fully charged device.
I have always connected the Kindle's usb cable with the charger for ipod nano. I have charged my Kindle Paperwhite by using this method about 5 months and there was no problem similar to what happened recently.

The charger for ipod nano I have used to connect with the Kindle usb cable is similar to this link: http://steily.en.alibaba.com/product...d_NANO_5G.html
Old 03-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune Tune View Post
When the Kindle was disconnected form the electric source, I opened it and saw strange thing happened with the small battery icon which located on the top right of its screen. This icon was not covered all by white color after 5 hours charging, only 1/5 space of this icon was covered by white color as it was charged about 20%.
It's the BLACK part of the icon that shows the charge level. If 20% of the battery icon was white, that means that the battery was 80% charged.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
If it's not charging properly, it could be a problem with the PW, the cable or the charger, try:
-charging a different device with the cable and charger you use for the PW
-charging the PW using a different cable and charger
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's the BLACK part of the icon that shows the charge level. If 20% of the battery icon was white, that means that the battery was 80% charged.
I'm looking at my PW, and I don't think that's right. From left to right the battery indicator is white, and that indicates charge level.

I'd still try charging the PW on a wall charger.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I'm looking at my PW, and I don't think that's right. From left to right the battery indicator is white, and that indicates charge level.
Sorry - I must have been having a "senior moment". You're right, of course. Sorry for the mistake.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #8
Tune Tune

Hello everyone! It’s me again… (

I had tried to connect the Kindle’s usb cable with the charger for ipod nano and the same phenomenon appeared again, the led indicator light turned orange. After that I tried to connect the Kindle’s usb cable with another different wall charger and this phenomenon was still repeated, the indicator light also was orange. Eventually, I connected the Kindle usb cable directly with one of usb ports in my thinkpad laptop. Everyone, guess what happened? After 2.5 hours of charging via usb port in laptop, I opened my Kindle paperwhite while the indicator light was still orange and its screen showed me a message like that: “Usb Drive Mode. If you wish to use your Kindle, please eject it from your computer. Currently your Kindle is not charging.” The small battery icon on the top right always remains at about 20% charging.

However, my laptop could recognize the Kindle as a removable storage device. I could use the laptop to open the storage space inside the Kindle to view my ebook files. I am from Vietnam so it is difficult for me to resend this Kindle for Amazon… Please give me some advices! After all of your advices are done but the Kindle can’t back to normal, I have to resend it to Amazon as a final solution.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Does it show that it's charging when you use the wall charger?

Could be simply that the wall charger isn't supplying enough to charge the Kindle (which will be simultaneously draining the battery if it's on)
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
Tune Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
Does it show that it's charging when you use the wall charger?

Could be simply that the wall charger isn't supplying enough to charge the Kindle (which will be simultaneously draining the battery if it's on)
I had tried to charge the Kindle with two different wall charger and the same phenomenon appeared. The led indicator light remained orange color during the charging process but the small battery icon on the top right was not shown the thunder mark which used to indicate the Kindle is receiving the electric current. After several hours of charging, the small battery icon is still white-covered only 1/5 of its space.

*start crying* I am so disappointed about this kindle...

Last edited by Tune Tune; 03-06-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:37 AM   #11
Tune Tune

Now the Kindle paperwhite shows a message on its screen like that: "Repair needed. Your Kindle needs repair. Please contact Kindle Customer Service at: http://www.kindle.com/support"

After I bought it about 5 months ago, there were several problems with its screen color, the led light and after that its battery! Now I have to return this Kindle to Amazon and complain about its bad quality again...

Last edited by Tune Tune; 03-07-2013 at 03:44 AM.