Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #31
paultakeda
paultakeda began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 2nd Ed., Nook Color
So far one petty (on BN's side) thing: sideloaded books can't use sharing functions. I have no clue why I shouldn't be able to use these new social aspects on any material on my device; it's not as if they go on bn.com, they go to Twitter and Facebook.
paultakeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #32
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
To those who have already received their new Nooks, here goes a question. I'm assuming the default is an alphabetical sort (by book title), correct? Is there also a way to sort by latest read? Latest added, etc?
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #33
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Is anyone able to sync their device with another device or a NOOK app? I don't recall anyone confirming sync works. I've seen lots of reports of not being able to. I'm starting to believe that this feature never worked. Freaking unbelievable if this setup doesn't sync. Pardon my overt frustration.

This question goes out to any NOOK, NOOKtouch, or NOOKcolor owners.

Last edited by SCION; 06-06-2011 at 01:40 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #34
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I just bought a Touch this morning. One problem I am having - books that I can change the font on my old Classic will not change font on the Touch - all I can do is change the size and margins, but not the font. Picking a new font does nothing.

I know that depending on how the epub file is coded, sometimes you cannot change font, even with the old classic. But, as I say, this is a book I CAN change the font reliably with the Classic but not with the Touch. Very odd and annoying, since it is an epub that i myself formatted for a friend (a novel she wrote).
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #35
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Is anyone able to sync their device with another device or a NOOK app? I don't recall anyone confirming sync works. I've seen lots of reports of not being able to. I'm starting to believe that this feature never worked. Freaking unbelievable if this setup doesn't sync. Pardon my overt frustration.

I've never seen anything sync'd on any of my devices. I have a Nook, a Nook Color, and the Nook for Android and have used them all at various times.

I've always heard that the Last Read page is supposed to be sync'd, but I've never been able to get it to work. I suppose you could run a simple test via the Nook for PC program -- isn't it supposed to sync, too?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #36
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

Works just fine on between my nook's and my Droid X. In fact just used it while getting lunch.

I'm not sure why the difficulty for some, maybe people forget the device will only pick up the last spot read the last time the device was connected, either by wifi or 3G.

IOW's if I read up to page 351 with wifi on last night, then turned off it's connection but continued to read up until page 400, but again with wifi off and 3G off, when I turn on my connecting device for example my Droid X or my Nook color it's going to pick up at page 351, because that was the last page read that was connected.

otherwise I have no idea. I use it almost everyday without a hitch. I just have to remember on my Droid X being only 4.3 inch screen that I do have turn a few pages to catch up where I am physically since a 7 inch screen holds more words per page.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #37
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
IOW's if I read up to page 351 with wifi on last night, then turned off it's connection but continued to read up until page 400, but again with wifi off and 3G off, when I turn on my connecting device for example my Droid X or my Nook color it's going to pick up at page 351, because that was the last page read that was connected...
Let me make sure I have this right. In order for it to sync (remember last page) I must keep WiFi (don't have 3G) on for the NC while I read. Then when I go to work and open the Nook Touch I make sure that WiFi is on and then sync it up. That should bring me back to the last page I read on my NC?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #38
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know what the heck is going on with this sync thing. Tech Support had me on hold for quite a bit, and came back with news that they are aware that the Touch doesn't sync with anything. WTF!!!

I've been doing a manual sync. I understand it can't sync or save last page read (on the server) if you're not connected.

Last edited by SCION; 06-06-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #39
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Let me make sure I have this right. In order for it to sync (remember last page) I must keep WiFi (don't have 3G) on for the NC while I read. Then when I go to work and open the Nook Touch I make sure that WiFi is on and then sync it up. That should bring me back to the last page I read on my NC?
it should yes and if it doesn't there are two arrows going in opposite directions that looks like a circle, touch that and it should bring you to your last page read. One thing you do have to remember it will bring you to your last page you read but maybe not the exact spot you left off due to the different screen sizes.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #40
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I don't know what the heck is going on with this sync thing. Tech Support had me on hold for quite a bit, and came back with news that they are aware that the Touch doesn't sync with anything. WTF!!!

I've been doing a manual sync. I understand it can't sync or save last page read (on the server) if you're not connected.
eeeewww, Hopefully there will be a very quick OTA patch ASAP.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #41
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:

I was playing around with this yesterday and I only got one-way syncing to work, meaning that the NC would pick up the last page I read on the Touch, but if I read more on the NC and went back to the Touch, it wouldn't sync. I wouldn't rely on the syncing feature.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #42
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@boswd

Well, that's a terrible implementation IMHO, but at least makes sense of my situation. My Nook Color stays on WiFi and my phone (with the Nook app) stays on 3G. (I have WiFi on the phone, but rarely turn it on.)

Since the "last page read" is stored on the B&N servers, I can't imagine why it would matter which way the data is transmitted to the server.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #43
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
...I wouldn't rely on the syncing feature.
*shaking my head...not at you* Wow... *here comes the bashing from me* They can't accomplish consistent syncing of last page read across devices and apps? Now I understand why people are rabidly fond of the Kindle and the apps. They have much to tout! They need to shout it from the rooftops. I feel like I've been suckered into buying B&N's products and content.

There won't be anything comparable to Whispernet from B&N. "What? You want to sync bookmarks and annotations across devices and apps?!"

Quote:
Sync your info across iPad, iPhone, Android, NOOK, NOOK Color, PC & more

Last edited by SCION; 06-06-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #44
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
*shaking my head...not at you* Wow... *here comes the bashing from me* They can't accomplish consistent syncing of last page read across devices and apps? Now I understand why people are rabidly fond of the Kindle and the apps. They have much to tout! They need to shout it from the rooftops. I feel like I've been suckered into buying B&N's products and content.

There won't be anything comparable to Whispernet from B&N. "What? You want to sync bookmarks and annotations across devices and apps?!"
I think more people are going to complain about this now that they came out with the Touch since it will be more likely that they will own more than one device (either 1sr gen Nook and Touch or NC and Touch). I never noticed it before since I only used the NC, but now that I have the NC and the Touch and might use the Touch to read during the day and the NC at night this "not syncing" problem will become more apparent. Hopefully now they will make it work soon with an update or something.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #45
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
I think more people are going to complain about this now...
One hopes that B&N may actually start listening to user complaints.