Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #241
DMee
Zealot
DMee began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, iphone, kindle
OK, dunno if this is working as planned or not but I got warned of duplicates with a single author's books and multiple author's when doing our "Ignore Title, Similar Authors" to correct initials

e.g.

A. N. Author
A. N. Author & Z. T. Anotherauthor
DMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #242
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMee View Post
OK, dunno if this is working as planned or not but I got warned of duplicates with a single author's books and multiple author's when doing our "Ignore Title, Similar Authors" to correct initials

e.g.

A. N. Author
A. N. Author & Z. T. Anotherauthor
I haven't seen that happen where the A. N. Author is truly the same for all books. Double check the periods and the spacing... Every time I thought they were the same it was one of those two.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #243
DMee
Zealot

Grrrrr - if Calibre would stop crashing I might :-(

They did all look the same but it was difficult to tell when they were in the middle of a long list of authors - then Calibre crashed - for about the 30th time today - god does it hate me editing metadata :-(
Old 07-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #244
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@DMee - mbovenka has it spot on, there will be something different about one of the authors in that *group*. In Ignore Title mode the plugin will show all books for that author, which is why you will see rows on your screen that include their collaborations. However look across all the authors in that group (the tag browser filtering may be the easiest way to see) and you will spot a variation. Once you remove that variation then the next time you run the author won't appear at all.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #245
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Beta for v1.4

As mentioned a few posts ago I've added a completely new feature as per the screenshot below. This will allow users to find variations in Authors, Series, Publisher or Tags using different algorithms.

You will need calibre 0.8.59 to try this.

On the Find Duplicates dropdown menu is a new option of "Find metadata variations". Unlike the normal Find book duplicates screen, this is a self-contained dialog allowing you to perform the rename operation in place for all the selected variations. If you tick the "Show matching books" option, then in the background your calibre GUI will execute a search and show you the related books. So for Authors and Series renaming you may sometimes want to see the related books to decide if they really are duplicates, but in many other cases you don't need to.

This dialog is in some ways an experiment. The Authors functionality is in reality just a different way of presenting what you saw with "Ignore Title" book duplicate searches. I could have also made the series, publisher and tags features all work the same way, dumping you back to the calibre gui showing you one set of data at a time and highlighting in the tag browser.

However the tag browser is not convenient for doing bulk renaming operations like this, and often you don't even need to see the books, so having the overhead of navigating through duplicate groups etc seems overkill. Traditionally there have been issues with renaming series via the tag browser too (since calibre renumbers them), though 0.8.59 offers a new tweak value of "no_change" for "Auto increment series index" - thanks very much chaley for doing this. Note that this new plugin does *not* need you to apply that tweak value if you rename series, as it always preserves numbering.

Anyways please experiment with it, try to break it and let me know if this interface approach is something that works well for this feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_4_Metadata_Variations.png
Views:	220
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	88806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_5_New_Menu.png
Views:	219
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	88807  

Last edited by kiwidude; 07-17-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Removed attachment as officially released
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #246
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
... let me know if this interface approach is something that works well for this feature.
I've only had a quick play but I really like it. Very useful.
44reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #247
RsH
Enthusiast
RsH began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A and PC + RCA RCT6213W87M Tablet + FiGo telephone
I've had to revert to version 0.8.43 to stop all of the crashes of Calibre, which were driving me crazy... so can I get an OLDER version of the Find Duplicates plug-in to use with this older version of Calibre?
RsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #248
GoghGirl
GoghGirl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color Rooted
I just updated Calibre and I no longer see my plugins (find Duplicates/Goodreads/etc) along the top. I no longer see any way to access them.

Did I turn them off somehow(I see they are still installed) or was the update/install bugged or something?

Very confused... How do I fix it?

* Edit: Nevermind. After two restarts my plugins started showing up again mysteriously. O.o

Last edited by GoghGirl; 07-11-2012 at 03:01 AM.
GoghGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 AM   #249
kiwidude

@GoghGirl - there are only two reasons why plugins will disappear. Either you installed a version of calibre that is too old for the version of the plugin you have installed. Or you now have your device plugged in and you haven't put the plugins on the toolbar that appears when your device is in. You can fix the latter in Preferences -> Toolbars.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #250
GoghGirl
GoghGirl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color Rooted
@kiwidude Thanks! I rarely had my nook plugged in for long so I never noticed that the plugins were not displayed! Properly updated now!
GoghGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #251
DMee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@DMee - mbovenka has it spot on, there will be something different about one of the authors in that *group*. In Ignore Title mode the plugin will show all books for that author, which is why you will see rows on your screen that include their collaborations. However look across all the authors in that group (the tag browser filtering may be the easiest way to see) and you will spot a variation. Once you remove that variation then the next time you run the author won't appear at all.
Yeah - finally sussed - I had 29 books OK and one which was "wrong" - maybe a way of highlighting the different versions in different colours in next version ?? :-)
Old 07-12-2012, 03:13 AM   #252
kiwidude

@DMee - as I said in my comment the tag browser has highlighted all of the author(s) in the group if you have"Highlight authors in the tag browser for ignore title searches" ticked in the dialog. Plus there is the completely new "Find metadata variations" dialog in the beta above which gives you a simpler view of the author name variations.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #253
DMee
Zealot

Wasn't grouching - just agreeing :-) with suggestion to highlight the different spellings differently - however - playing with new version now so moot :-)

OK, first run of "metadata" on authors "Similar" picked 2 errors where suffuxes had somehow become another author so I had

A.N. Author & Jr.
A.N. Other & Iii

The pluging suspected Jr. and Iii were similar and needed tweaking - I had "Show books" ticked and spotted the error. However, I was locked within the plugin window and couldn't edit the books metadata and if I closed the plugin window it cancelled the search so I lost the 2 books involved.... and the search didn't appear in my search history for me to easily re-run
Old 07-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #254
DMee
Zealot

OK, fixed those two and spotted some other authors where the author sort had decided Jr. was surname etc - god whoever entered the initial metadata should be shot!

OK, so then re-ran it and got

calibre, version 0.8.59
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>KeyError</b>:4027

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.find_duplicates.dialogs", line 597, in _refresh_results
File "calibre_plugins.find_duplicates.dialogs", line 614, in _populate_items_list
KeyError: 4027

Any thoughts??
Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #255
DMee
Zealot

Restarting Calibre fixed the error - I then got "You have no authors...." message

Tags
cross library duplicates, in library duplicates