Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
what is this code supposed to do ?

found in several places in an epub that I've been tweaking:

Code:
<address class="calibre11" w:st="on">
    Unseelie Court
  </address>
i don't understand the w:st bit, I can chop out all but the text & nothing seems to go wrong, however.

& an address tag makes no sens in an e-book context ?
the calibre style just adds italics.
.calibre11 {
display: block;
font-style: italic
}
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If I'm not mistaken, "w:st" would mean "the 'st' property from the 'w' namespace which was defined previously). But anyway, as you say, <address> is not in the supported tag set of ePUB, so it shouldn't be there at all.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
If I'm not mistaken, "w:st" would mean "the 'st' property from the 'w' namespace which was defined previously).
and that would be defined in the html, or the css ?

I suspect they are leftovers from some other format - maybe MSword ?

I don't get the namespace concept at all here ?

the only namespace mention in css is
@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
Old 02-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post

I suspect they are leftovers from some other format - maybe MSword ?

the only namespace mention in css is
@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
Address is a HTML tag (that mucks up a conversion) that is intended for Street Locations.

In conversions, it should be only rendered as italic, what happens, is it causes unwanted line breaks.
Code:
<p> Jason went to</p< <address>El Camino Real"</address> <p> to catch the 22 bus.</p>
Ugly
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Address is a HTML tag (that mucks up a conversion) that is intended for Street Locations.

In conversions, it should be only rendered as italic, what happens, is it causes unwanted line breaks.
Code:
<p> Jason went to</p< <address>El Camino Real"</address> <p> to catch the 22 bus.</p>
Ugly
yes, I've seen that mess up in another book

so what would your example code do on a web page, or in a document - it has no attached URL so I don't get the point of it, still ? is it just a style thing ?
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
yes, I've seen that mess up in another book

so what would your example code do on a web page, or in a document - it has no attached URL so I don't get the point of it, still ? is it just a style thing ?
Yes it is just a style thing.
There is no URL in the book (HTML version)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But anyway, as you say, <address> is not in the supported tag set of ePUB
Sorry, I was wrong, <address> is an allowed tag, as can be seen here. The styling is up to the CSS and defaults, though.

Quote:

It would be defined in the X(HT)ML. Have a look here.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
It's not entirely a style thing, though most web browsers will display text between the opening and closing ADDRESS tags in italics. It's more to do with information semantics, and coding stuff according to its semantic context. Same idea as coding a heading using a heading tag rather than simply using a paragraph tag and styling it to look like a heading.

The <address> tag is really meant to code something as a meaningful address, such as the address of the author of a page, or the company whose website it is, etc. It's not intended for web addresses with URLs - it's meant for use with bricks and mortar addresses.

In theory, the software being used to access the web page could then extract the info and present it to the user on request. In practice, the <address> tag is hardly ever used, and I don't know of any software that makes use of it to extract the information.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If I'm not mistaken those <address> tags have been created when saving an MSWord document to HTML. The option SaveAs Webpage has been used, rather than the preferable Webpage-filtered. I believe they are Word "smart tags" and that the w:st="on" bit probably means that the Word smart tags feature was set to "on" when the original .doc was saved to HTML.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:51 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If I'm not mistaken those <address> tags have been created when saving an MSWord document to HTML. The option SaveAs Webpage has been used, rather than the preferable Webpage-filtered. I believe they are Word "smart tags" and that the w:st="on" bit probably means that the Word smart tags feature was set to "on" when the original .doc was saved to HTML.
excellent deduction - thanks.