Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #17881
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer. Bought when they were on sale at the late BooksOnBoard shop.
An enjoyable contemporary murder mystery/romance (well, contemporary for when it was written).

And now, the ebook-only Music and Murder by David Carrico. I've already got through most of the music stories, and they come together as a novel very well.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #17882
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
An enjoyable contemporary murder mystery/romance (well, contemporary for when it was written).
I would imagine that these days there are probably a significant number of readers who don't actually have a Butler!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #17883
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just started Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Not at all what I was expecting - for some reason I thought it was about a rock band from the reviews I have seen previously on MR (but then I tend only to skim reviews of anything I intend to read, in case of spoilers). Instead it is a YA novel set in the nearish future, centred around an on-line world called OASIS, and the frantic search for a hidden Easter Egg left behind by its creator after he has died. Good fun so far.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #17884
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would imagine that these days there are probably a significant number of readers who don't actually have a Butler!
My valet said the same thing just the other day.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #17885
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
At least they don't have to worry about whether a book is suitable for one of their servants to read....
Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #17886
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
See all the problems we don't have to worry about these days?

I think that's one of the major appeals of these period books. A glimpse into another time and place (and almost always into a different level of society, at least for most of us.)

I enjoy the Heyer mysteries, though not as much as the Regencies. But still, enjoyable in a different way, since they're actually contemporaneous.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #17887
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Reading several novellas in the Honorverse before I finish up War of Honor and move on to Crown of Slaves. I want to cement some of that back story.

I must say, I'm really enjoying this re-read. Most of it is as an Audible book.
Finished off three novellas, and back to War of Honor, which I'm reading in eBook and audio book formats. I must say, this is perhaps the first of the Weber books where it's clear that his editor has lost control. It's just WAY longer than it should be. Positively flabby and self-indulgent in spots. But still worth reading, though I admit to skimming over whole sections where he's just droning on.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #17888
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I just started the first book in his next series which is a prequel series, I really enjoy Michael J. Sullivan's books, too.
I have the prequel books too so I will read them very soon! Glad to see another Michael J. Sullivan fan around.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #17889
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Finished Dr. Sleep. I enjoyed it. I thought it was a worthy sequel to The Shining. It felt like I was visiting an old friend.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #17890
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next, from the library, Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde.
Finally, finished this one. Very interesting and unique. The world building consumed many pages and continued throughout the book. Characters were both strange and comical. The book ended with a few unanswered questions which leads us to a not-yet-published sequel. I'll rate this a "B" [4 stars] as it was well written and original but I do think it could have been shorter by 50 pages or so.

Haven't decided what to read next.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #17891
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I decided to start The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle which is the and the fourth Sherlock Holmes novel, seventh overall. I watched the Sherlock series produced by BBC a couple weeks ago and now I am picturing Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman throughout the story. I can't even remember who I pictured before this.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #17892
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Man Who Could Work Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Death At Victoria Dock was, as is always the case with a Phryne Fisher mystery, a great read!

My #2 son (to quote the Hollywood Charlie Chan) gave me a Kindle book for my birthday last month. It was Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson. So I'm giving it a try next.
For his birthday, a couple of days ago, I gave the very same son mentioned above a dvd movie called Things to Come! It was on his Amazon wish list and also happened to be one of my favorite Saturday afternoon movies on TV when I was a kid (in the 50's). It reminded me of one of my other favorite Saturday afternoon movies called The Man Who Could Work Miracles! Lo and behold I found it on Youtube and it was even a watchable copy! I also found a copy of the ebook (a short story also by H. G. Wells) available from, The University of Adelaide Library. So, I took a break from my reading of Mistborn: The Final Empire and read the short story then watched the movie. It was a real blast from the past and well worth the short time it took to do both.!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #17893
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've almost finished with Stephen King's "Joyland." It's an 'entertaining' read, as are most of his books, but... I can't help thinking it's almost a dark Garrison Keillor slice of life sort of tale. I had this same feeling with his "1963" book. Rambling on and on like a shaggy dog story, and at the end, just sort of stopping, rather than finishing with a bang. I've another 50 pages to read in "Joyland" and I'm hoping that he doesn't do this same thing here. I'd rather see an actual resolve of the murders, rather than another 'oh well, I guess I won't do that' ending. I'm enjoying the read, but I'd love to see it actually go somewhere.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #17894
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
And now, the ebook-only Music and Murder by David Carrico. I've already got through most of the music stories, and they come together as a novel very well.
The impact of the collected stories in one volume is much greater than as shorts spread through the Grantville Gazettes. No doubt a little tidying has gone on too.

The major part of the book consists of the music stories, essentially the back story of the main musical characters in 1636: The Devil's Opera. And it's very effective and moving in parts.
The remainder covers the two main police characters in 1636: The Devil's Opera, from first meeting to the end of their third major case (a locked room mystery).

I think it was $5 well spent, even though I have all the Grantville Gazette volumes. If you've only been reading the main Grantville novels and not the Gazette, I strongly recommend buying and reading this book before reading 1636: The Devil's Opera, although it's not essential.

Now onto my very latest purchase, yesterday's Amazon UK Daily Deal: Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I've seen the musical that was based on this book, so I'm looking forward to the book very much (but not enough to have paid full price!).
Old 10-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #17895
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've almost finished with Stephen King's "Joyland." It's an 'entertaining' read, as are most of his books, but... I can't help thinking it's almost a dark Garrison Keillor slice of life sort of tale. I had this same feeling with his "1963" book. Rambling on and on like a shaggy dog story, and at the end, just sort of stopping, rather than finishing with a bang. I've another 50 pages to read in "Joyland" and I'm hoping that he doesn't do this same thing here. I'd rather see an actual resolve of the murders, rather than another 'oh well, I guess I won't do that' ending. I'm enjoying the read, but I'd love to see it actually go somewhere.

Stitchawl
Keep going .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote