Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
NEW Kobo Aura Impressions Thread!

I know it's shameful to start a thread with no impressions of my own and I apologize. Even worse, I haven't even ordered the new Aura!
Just thought that this thread would be useful because otherwise people tend to post impressions in all of the other pre-release threads and it gets hard to follow. Anyways, pre-orders ship tomorrow, don't they? So I bet a lot of Canadians will be getting theirs on the 11th or 12th.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I suppose since it's not out yet we can chat in here for a little bit. Can someone explain to me how those idiots Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dumber over at Goodereader always manage to get their hands on the Kobo readers so darned early? They seem to be literally the only people on Youtube with actual hands on impressions. Do they work for Kobo or something? Because they certainly aren't getting these exclusives due to their knowledgeable insights.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
...Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dumber....

perfect names ...I wish they would cut their nails...they look like girl fingers.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Well I ordered one but once I get an order number I am going to cancel, and order directly from kobo. I'd rather not have to pay the $15 shipping from Chapters.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Well, I suppose since it's not out yet we can chat in here for a little bit. Can someone explain to me how those idiots Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dumber over at Goodereader always manage to get their hands on the Kobo readers so darned early? They seem to be literally the only people on Youtube with actual hands on impressions. Do they work for Kobo or something? Because they certainly aren't getting these exclusives due to their knowledgeable insights.
Probably one of the tweedle got a friend in the Kobo marketing team.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post

perfect names ...I wish they would cut their nails...they look like girl fingers.
[Since no one has anything to report...]

What's wrong with girl fingers? Don't you like girl fingers? Why would you have anything against girl fingers?

Dr. Drib
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Front of the Aura

I was just looking at the review from Cnet (link located on the home page of this forum) and they pointed out the front screen is plastic not glass as original reported. If this is the case it will be interesting to see how that holds during daily use and misuse. I would be concerned for damage to that portion of the device with out a screen protector for sure.

here is the link to the review referenced on the home page here

http://www.cnet.com.au/kobo-aura-339345404.htm

regards

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 09-11-2013 at 06:30 PM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
[Since no one has anything to report...]

What's wrong with girl fingers? Don't you like girl fingers? Why would you have anything against girl fingers?

Dr. Drib
Meant to type girly fingers..
girls fingers are okay, when they use them right.
but, on a guy, no...cut nails.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
Meant to type girly fingers..
girls fingers are okay, when they use them right.
but, on a guy, no...cut nails.
You know interestingly, on the initial read of your post I read it as Girly and until you pointed out your error I would not have noticed.

Regards
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
SWCaffeinated
Enthusiast
SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Way Too Many Others
From another thread here, a detailed walk through, though in German....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZyUGdUvLR4#t=616
SWCaffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I've shied away from Kobo, but from what I've seen in the vids, it looks very nice indeed. As long as the firmware is solid (or better still, can run linux) and the hardware is okay, it will be a very tempting device.

It might be important for me to be able to run night-mode with that light. I am glad that someone has shown Amazon how front-lighting is done. The PW2 will have to up its game to match this.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Once someone gets their first Aura, I'd be very interested in knowing how the glare on the screen compares to the Glo. From videos and images, it looks like it will have a bit more glare with the flat screen than previous ereaders, but it's hard to tell until you have them side-by-side and actually compare them under the same lighting conditions.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
And I'll just chip in by saying I am so getting this. Day 1
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I was just looking at the review from Cnet (link located on the home page of this forum) and they pointed out the front screen is plastic not glass as original reported. If this is the case it will be interesting to see how that holds during daily use and misuse. I would be concerned for damage to that portion of the device with out a screen protector for sure.

regards

Jack
Have any of the readers ever had a glass screen? I assumed they always used plastic.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post

regards

Jack
It was noted in another review about a week ago that it was plastic. I am surprised no one picked up on it. I mentioned it in the other thread I think. I prefer plastic. Glass would most definitely break much easier.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote