Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Gianorama
Gianorama began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Custom covers for Kobo's book loading screen?

Just got myself a Kobo and I'm really liking it so far.

I'm currently using calibre to manage my ePub books, and I like putting high quality covers on them (through editing the metadata). When I put them on the Kobo device (using Send to device in calibre), I can see the covers of the ePub books when I'm navigating menus -- the covers show up fine in both bookshelf view and list view of the Kobo. But when I select one to read, I don't see the cover when the book is loading, unlike the ones provided in the 100 free books (some of which look great). Instead I get the random author quote, such as:

"The good ended happily,
and the bad unhappily.
That is what Fiction means."
-Oscar Wilde

Is there any way to make my own book's covers show up in the book-loading screen? Is there a specific format/dimension it has to be in? Are there other attributes in calibre that I need to put a cover in? Does calibre even allow for this? Or maybe the Kobo desktop app?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Gianorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I would be interested in the answer as well.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
Gianorama
Gianorama began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
So far the only thing I've figured out is that only books purchased from Borders eBooks (and I'm assuming the official Kobobooks.com) are showing their book covers on loading screen. Anything else I've loaded onto the device show author quotes. On the plus side, all book covers show up when the Kobo goes into sleep mode, displaying the cover of the book you're currently reading in full screen.

Anyone from Kobo proper care to chime in? Are these Borders and Kobobooks files in a proprietary format with special properties or something?
Gianorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianorama View Post
Anyone from Kobo proper care to chime in? Are these Borders and Kobobooks files in a proprietary format with special properties or something?
There was a comment from one of the Kobo guys saying they do a fair bit of conversion work for the books they are adding to their store, so I would say yes. Also the place the books are stored is different between the Kobo books and the calibre books, which may also be part of the reason why you see the quote during loading rather than the cover.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianorama View Post
Just got myself a Kobo and I'm really liking it so far.

I'm currently using calibre to manage my ePub books, and I like putting high quality covers on them (through editing the metadata). When I put them on the Kobo device (using Send to device in calibre), I can see the covers of the ePub books when I'm navigating menus -- the covers show up fine in both bookshelf view and list view of the Kobo. But when I select one to read, I don't see the cover when the book is loading, unlike the ones provided in the 100 free books (some of which look great). Instead I get the random author quote, such as:
Any chance to copy on your computer any of books you like?
If yes, open it in sigil and see how it is structured. If I recall well,
first page should be called titleindex.xhtml. Also, you could always
remake it in calibre using new cover.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
Also the place the books are stored is different between the Kobo books and the calibre books, which may also be part of the reason why you see the quote during loading rather than the cover.
Where are the Calibre books stored compared to the Kobo books?

Sorry, I don't mean to jack the OP thread. I am looking at getting one and would like to know these things before buying.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Per author folder
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Calibre sorts books into folders by author, but in general, epub format books are stored as epub files that you drop anywhere in the drive. I just put them in the root of the drive, but you can put them in different folders if you like.

Kobo format books are kept in the sqlite database, and don't show up in the file-system at all, except for the covers in the images folder.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote