Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #16
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I believe that there is a slight mistake in the What’s New description.

There is a “Reading Settings” tab in the Aa menu, but there is nothing about highlights there.

There is a “Reading Options” menu under Settings that has “Highlights and About This Book” and under that a ”Highlight Menu” choice. That is the setting described.
I think I'm missing something. On my Oasis 2, after the update to 5.9.5, when I go to "Reading Options" I only see "Popular Highlights" and "About This Book". I don't see a "Highlight Menu" choice.

Any advice would be appreciated.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #17
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
From the amazon website:

"the following device models are not impacted and do not require this update.
Kindle (7th Generation)
Kindle Voyage (7th Generation)
Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation)
Kindle Oasis (8th Generation)
Kindle (8th Generation)"
What does that leave? Only PW3 and Oasis2?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2018, 09:25 PM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
What does that leave? Only PW3 and Oasis2?
Isn't PW3=Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation)?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #19
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Isn't PW3=Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation)?
You are right, PW1 == 5, PW2 == 6, PW3 == 7.

Why only leave the Oasis2 with feature updates? Maybe a new gen Voyage/PW/basic is coming soon.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:55 PM   #20
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I think I'm missing something. On my Oasis 2, after the update to 5.9.5, when I go to "Reading Options" I only see "Popular Highlights" and "About This Book". I don't see a "Highlight Menu" choice.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I see the option. See the attached screenshot.

I saw a comment on another forum that you need to sync your device online before the option becomes available. I don't know whether that is actually true.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2018_04_13T22_51_12-0400.png
Views:	534
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	163475  
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #21
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
I just downloaded this update and I love it. It's so easy to highlight now! I read a lot of nonfiction and highlights are important for me. And, since I am not a native English speaker, I also use Kindle dictionary a lot, but it never happened to me that text got highlighted while I was looking up for a word on Kindle.
I would recommend this update to anyone who does a lot of highlighting.
If only Amazon made a reader the size of Kobo's Aura One and introduced comfort light or whatever Kobo calls it (I read a lot at night, and that one is really comfortable), I could drop Kobos completely for the lack of Oxford and other good dictionaries, difficulties of highlighting and export of highlights. I am embedding fonts for Kindle books, so fonts are not my problem.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #22
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I see the option. See the attached screenshot.

I saw a comment on another forum that you need to sync your device online before the option becomes available. I don't know whether that is actually true.
Thank you for taking the time to respond - that was it. I synched and now it's there.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:18 PM   #23
JoeC
Addict

I just played with it a little bit. I think it's a major improvement.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:24 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
From the amazon website:

Kindle (7th Generation)
Kindle (8th Generation)"
Just a comment, I do believe this specific message was from back in 2016. It was a critical update necessary for older e-ink Kindles to be able to continue downloading purchased ebooks from Amazon via wi-fi.

Hmm, will try the update on my PW2.

Update: Installed 5.9.5 on my PW2 and it now has a Highlight Menu option.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-14-2018 at 12:13 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:25 AM   #25
fendesa
Enthusiast
fendesa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
From the amazon website:

Kindle (7th Generation)
Kindle (8th Generation)"
the kindle voyage has this update. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201630670
In fact, as you say and as I found it also I do not change anything unfortunately
fendesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #26
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond - that was it. I synched and now it's there.
Thanks also from me. I synced on my Oasis 2 and the Highlights Menu is now there. I have already switched the menus off, and it is beneficial as I have just started a non-fiction work in which I will be making plenty of highlights. I can still choose to add a note to a highlight afterwards if I want.

All the same, it is a little odd that one has to sync before an update feature appears, normally you download and install the update and the new features are just there.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #27
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
All the same, it is a little odd that one has to sync before an update feature appears, normally you download and install the update and the new features are just there.
It isn't the first time that Amazon has done this. The "Page Flip" feature was included in several firmware releases before Amazon enabled it remotely.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #28
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Well, since highlights can be synced online it makes somewhat sense as we don't know if it just a GUI change on the Kindle or also a different communication protocol with the server.

Talking of which, I noticed the store showing books on my Oasis is now improved - if a book has already been purchased it shows now and instead of buying it goes to library.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #29
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Talking of which, I noticed the store showing books on my Oasis is now improved - if a book has already been purchased it shows now and instead of buying it goes to library.
I am pretty sure I have had that already. As I tried to buy one the other day in the store and it had the library button there since I already owned it. Oops.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #30
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I am pretty sure I have had that already. As I tried to buy one the other day in the store and it had the library button there since I already owned it. Oops.
Yes, that was unrelated to the update, I am still on 9.5.4. But it was related to having to sync.