Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
hansolo77
hansolo77 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Can I Collapse Series?

I have a lot of books in my collection (1,100 and counting!). I've got them all properly tagged with metadata, and placed inside various series (like: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc). Because I have such a large collection, scrolling through all the books is sometimes annoyingly time consuming. Is there a way, either built in or through a plugin, to collapse books from a series? So rather than displaying all 7 books from Harry Potter, it just shows a line like "[+] Harry Potter". Then I could click the + and see all the books available in that series. If this is not possible, is it something that could be considered for a future feature request?
hansolo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Preferences: Look and feel: Tag Browser (tab): Partitioning method: By first letter

you might want to reduce the number of items (the next line), but try it out

BTW this affects the Tag Browser view
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
hansolo77
hansolo77 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Thanks. That "works" but isn't exactly what I was looking for. What does "reducing the number of items" do?
hansolo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansolo77 View Post
Thanks. That "works" but isn't exactly what I was looking for. What does "reducing the number of items" do?
My understanding (?) is it controls WHEN (count).

14 - books in a letter range, no collapse
15+ books in that range, it collapses
Obviously, your Library needs to have a few hundred books before this becomes really needful
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you just want to collapse the books displayed all I can think of is a virtual library with series index either 1 or null.

It would not provide a means to expand the series, or even much indication that the book was in a series.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2018, 11:08 PM   #6
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
@PeterT

Perhaps you could create a yes/no column to tick off for every book after the first in a series , then create a restriction that has that yes/no column as false.

If you do it manually, you can be sure that only the books you want to hide are hidden, rather than relying on a series index search.

Sure, when you release the restriction you get every book in every series showing up at once, but at least you can easily revert back to it once you have seen what you want.

Also, consider another column that is numeric which you can populate with the quantity of books in a series and have it only be used in the first book. This way you can see how many books are in the series before you even release the restriction.

It's two extra columns but you can hide the yes/no column and arrange the series quantity column to hug up to the series column. Just fill it out on the book you intend to show while the others are being held back.

Last edited by Rellwood; 04-06-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote