Connoisseur
cobrax3 began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
i find it tiring to read much on pc, also not conforable
cobrax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #62
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Me too. I wonder if all these people reading on PCs have found some great chair and desk combo that we need to know about!
I have my 4:3 LCD monitor on the chair near the bed, so I can pull it next to or over the bed closer to the eyes for browsing and book reading, or further away when watching the movies, sitting or lying on the bed, using wireless or wired mouse/headphones/keyboard.

I prefer it over the notebook that is usually situated on the table with its screen turned off when using connected LCD monitor.

For epub/mobi I'd use Sumatra for Windows, two columns, sephia color, for pdf Foxit reader or Adobe e.g. full-screen mode with dark green background using some transition effect.

http://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/down...df-viewer.html

Last edited by Marinolino; 02-16-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #63
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Great chair is personal (I like my "wobble" stool or just standing), but for about a decade I've had an Ergotron LX Desk Mount. There's no matter of taste in that. It's superior to anything other than a significantly more expensive monitor arm.

The other way of reading on a computer is to take a laptop on the couch or even in bed.

Anyway, an ereader or a real book are much better. But that's because of the display technology.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #64
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I read on my Windows 10 laptop. I use Calibre's viewer it can be customized to be opened without the main program. I use a template to turn it into a open book and an edited font I used on my Kindle. It works great.

Sent from my XT1528
How do you customize the Calibre's viewer to read without using the main program?
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #65
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
How do you customize the Calibre's viewer to read without using the main program?
No customization is necessary. You either need to associate the ebook-viewer file with the ebook file types to launch the reader when double-clicking on an ebook and/or create a shortcut/alias to the reader app than can be used to launch the apps.

The easiest way to create direct access on macOS and Windows is to:
  1. Launch calibre
  2. View an ebook
  3. if mac: right-click on the Dock icon for the viewer and choose "Keep in Dock"
  4. if Win: right-click on the Taskbar icon for the viewer and choose "Pin to Taskbar".

You now have a "permanent" icon on the Taskbar/Dock for future use. You can also do the same for the Editor if you like.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #66
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
No customization is necessary. You either need to associate the ebook-viewer file with the ebook file types to launch the reader when double-clicking on an ebook and/or create a shortcut/alias to the reader app than can be used to launch the apps.
On linux, there is a third way that doesn't require any association or alias creation.

Just type:

ebook-viewer book_file_name

in a terminal window.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #67
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post

The easiest way to create direct access on macOS and Windows is to:
  1. Launch calibre
  2. View an ebook
  3. if mac: right-click on the Dock icon for the viewer and choose "Keep in Dock"
  4. if Win: right-click on the Taskbar icon for the viewer and choose "Pin to Taskbar".

You now have a "permanent" icon on the Taskbar/Dock for future use. You can also do the same for the Editor if you like.
Big thanks, dwig!

I have pinned the Calibre viewer to taskbar. Now I can preview an ebook before adding it to my Calibre library. Very helpful.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
GoodEreader just did a video showing Edge as an ePub reader. You can skip to about 2:40 to find the useful parts.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-17-2018 at 04:52 PM.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #69
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
In Windows you right click on a epub then choose open with, make sure default box is checked and browse to the ebook-viewer.exe file that is found in Calibre's program folder and select that to open the epub.

It's that easy, it will only open the reader not the main Calibre program. You will need to do this for each format you want it to open by default.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
GoodEreader just did a video showing Edge as an ePub reader. You can skip to about 2:40 to find the useful parts.
When id BadEReader ever do a video with any useful parts?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:23 PM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When id BadEReader ever do a video with any useful parts?
When they show the features: the ability to change fonts. The ability to change the background for night reading. You know, answering the questions that were posed here after the mention of using Edge to read ePubs came up.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:00 AM   #72
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
In Windows you right click on a epub then choose open with, make sure default box is checked and browse to the ebook-viewer.exe file that is found in Calibre's program folder and select that to open the epub.
Ah.. got it! Thanks!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
When they show the features: the ability to change fonts. The ability to change the background for night reading. You know, answering the questions that were posed here after the mention of using Edge to read ePubs came up.
BadEReader can botch a simple review to no end.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #74
happyjon
Enthusiast
happyjon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LH07 View Post
hi does anyone read on their pc if so what app/program do you use . I have windows 10 and
would like to find something i can add my own books to so i can read on my pc
but cant find anything
I use Sumatra. Though it's a pdf reader it loads ebooks as well, so one piece of software for both these formats.
happyjon is offline   Reply With Quote