Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
February Scribd Selects? Are there any?

Does anyone else use Scribd? A favorite activity of mine on the first of each month is to see what Scribd has selected for their Scribd Selects, but I don't see any for February. I wonder if they haven't put them up yet, or if they've discontinued having Scribd Selects, because if it's the latter then I'm ready to unsubscribe.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I don't see anything posted yet. I hope they didn't cancel this option. Their FAQ page on Selects was just updated a few days ago. You could browse the Unlimited selection in the meantime.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still no Selects this month. I suspect they may be introducing something new. I was looking at my acccount today and noticed that support added credits for "Blue" and "Red" monthly reads. I wonder what those mean.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Scribd Selects are confirmed to be removed. Stay tuned for more. I saw this message posted by Scribd Support on Twitter.

Quote:
Hey there! We've got a big announcement for a change to our service that we're really excited about and have been working hard to perfect. To prepare for this, we've made the decision to remove the Scribd Selects catalogs. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience that this causes!
Old 02-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Hmm I'm very skeptical about this change. I don't think it will be exciting.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I know what you mean. It's hard not to be skeptical. But, Scribd Supports keeps telling everyone that they are going to love it!

There are 3 monthly credits for one color and 10 monthly credits for the other. I hope they tell us soon what that means.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
briefcandles
Connoisseur
briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It seems that they've gone back to the unlimited reading model! There was a pop-up message when I went to the site just now, and this also showed up in my Account Settings:

Quote:
You no longer have credits due to the transition to unlimited reading and listening. You will retain access to anything you have spent a credit on in the past. For more information, visit our FAQ.
briefcandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The pop-up on their website says unlimited*. If you open up the iOS app, then it tells you to download their new app for unlimited access. Interesting!

Hopefully there isn't a trade like a reduced catalog or higher monthly fees!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I found this info in the FAQs.

Quote:
How many books can I read each month?

As many as you can! We strive to provide the most comprehensive catalog to all of our members. We can't guarantee the availability of any specific title, but our members can always read an unlimited number of books and audiobooks each month. Occasionally, we have to limit the titles that you're able to access within a specific content library in a 30-day period. This is similar to many unlimited data plans offered by cellular providers, in which data limits may be restricted once a user has consumed a high amount of data in a given month.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:03 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
the announcement is set for tomorrow
https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...mited-reading/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Here's an excellent article.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40518091...lly-paying-off

Quote:
Curtailing its original unlimited plan bought Scribd breathing room to work on a better strategy. It’s once again calling the service unlimited—with an asterisk. In the textual equivalent of a wireless carrier offering unlimited data but throttling speeds for bandwidth hogs, people who read a very high number of books (which Adler won’t specify, saying that it’s still subject to tweaking) in a given month will get access to a smaller selection of titles until the next billing cycle begins. This will affect up to 8% of readers.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I suspect that most MobileRead members read enough to fall into the 8% who will be restricted to public domain books at some unknown point during the month.

Thanks, but no thanks.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #13
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Not going to fall for their lies again. They screwed us romance readers so bad, after they got a lot of signups for bringing in large catalogs of romance titles. They advertised it everywhere including romance blogs. Then when they had the signups, they yanked pretty much 99 percent of the titles out of peoples wishlists. Then treated romance readers like leapers, like it was all our fault, even after they purposely "courted" us. I never got an email then or an explanation. Nothing. I had to read about it here.

And guess who this throttling is really geared towards again. Romance readers and to some extend mystery readers, they read a lot too.
Of course they aren't going to specify the numbers. That keeps the door open to belittle romance readers all over again. Just be honest and outright and say we don't really want romance readers to sign up, or mystery readers. Not anyone that reads more than maybe 3 titles in a month. At least that would be honest.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This reducing your selection if you actually read is slimy. It's no longer unlimited. It's limited with conditions. So I say screw them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've reached out via twitter to ask about audiobook limits. To me it would probably be worth the price if I could listen to at least 4 titles per month. It is unlikely that I would use the service for ebooks.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote