Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Kybunnies - With portable the libraries have to be inside the Calibre Portable folder, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	163304

If they're not in that location portable will not remember them and you have to rehook them every time you start or restart calibre. You can get around this by putting symbolic links to libraries into the Calibre Portable folder. Calibre portable is the 32 bit version, if you need the 64bit version to do large conversions then you will have to patch the 64bit bit version into the Calibre Portable\Calibre folder each time you upgrade to a new version of calibre.

BTW: it's possible to reinstall Windows without losing existing 3rd party software and data using a process called "In-place Upgrade", here are links that tell you how to do it on Windows 7 and Windows 10. I've used both to 'repair' Windows on friends and relatives systems. The only things they lost were Windows customisations, 3rd party AntiVirus software and settings (because I nuked them), and in a couple of cases some browser settings and some extensions (weird).

FWIW: I have not needed to reinstall Windows on any of my computers since I got rid of XP, not even Vista.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #17
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
Just a quick note that Calibre for PortableApps does remember paths.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #18
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Kybunnies - With portable the libraries have to be inside the Calibre Portable folder, viz:

Attachment 163304

If they're not in that location portable will not remember them and you have to rehook them every time you start or restart calibre. You can get around this by putting symbolic links to libraries into the Calibre Portable folder. Calibre portable is the 32 bit version, if you need the 64bit version to do large conversions then you will have to patch the 64bit bit version into the Calibre Portable\Calibre folder each time you upgrade to a new version of calibre.

BTW: it's possible to reinstall Windows without losing existing 3rd party software and data using a process called "In-place Upgrade", here are links that tell you how to do it on Windows 7 and Windows 10. I've used both to 'repair' Windows on friends and relatives systems. The only things they lost were Windows customisations, 3rd party AntiVirus software and settings (because I nuked them), and in a couple of cases some browser settings and some extensions (weird).

FWIW: I have not needed to reinstall Windows on any of my computers since I got rid of XP, not even Vista.

BR
I am going to have to try this. I never knew I could repair.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I just use calibrePortable. Makes restoring backups and copying between computers so much easier. Highly recommend it.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #20
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question What about Macs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hi, any chance of a version for Mac computers to have their Calibre library on an external?
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:20 PM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
On macOS the calibre application is a self contained bundle anyway, just copy it to whereever you want and put the calibre libraries wherever you want as well.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:00 AM   #22
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
On macOS the calibre application is a self contained bundle anyway, just copy it to whereever you want and put the calibre libraries wherever you want as well.
Thanks very much for the reply.
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote