Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Nook books

Are Nook epub books compatible with the Touch.

One or two on their UK site are at a good price.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Only if you remove the DRM first. Nook books are ePub, but they use B&N's own flavor of Adobe DRM which Kobo has not enabled on their devices. (unless something changed recently)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that if you have a nook the only places that you can get books for them are Barnsandnobels.com or blacklibrary.com.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
I got the latest issue of Analog from UK.nook.com just the other day. With help from calibre and disinfecting procedures, I have been able to read this on my Kobo just fine.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Only if you remove the DRM first. Nook books are ePub, but they use B&N's own flavor of Adobe DRM which Kobo has not enabled on their devices. (unless something changed recently)
Drat !

It's a shame Sony's website insist on their DRM software, as some of their books are interesting prices too.

Curse all these different flavours of DRM.

Last edited by mXb; 01-05-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I'm confused: if a bookseller supports ADE doesn't that mean their books will authorise on any ADE compatible device?
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
Drat !

It's a shame Sony's website insist on their DRM software, as some of their books are interesting prices too.

Curse all these different flavours of DRM.
AFAIK Sony is using "generic" ADE DRM which means you can use a Sony DRM epub on the Kobo the same way you can use a Kobo DRM epub. I haven't used the Sony store, so maybe you need to use their software to get the epub, but it should be directly loadable onto the Kobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
I'm confused: if a bookseller supports ADE doesn't that mean their books will authorise on any ADE compatible device?
Yes and no. Most companies are using "generic" ADE DRM on their epubs so they are fairly interchangeable. However, B&N uses a different DRM system on their epubs that not all other readers (Kobo included) can accept (likely costs extra licensing $ to Adobe to include it on other readers and that's why they don't). The Nook can accept regular ADE DRM though I think.

Outside of DRM (i.e. when there is no DRM on them), the base epub on these are the same, so it's just the DRM that gets in the way of portability between devices.

Last edited by robko; 01-05-2013 at 06:08 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
AFAIK Sony is using "generic" ADE DRM which means you can use a Sony DRM epub on the Kobo the same way you can use a Kobo DRM epub. I haven't used the Sony store, so maybe you need to use their software to get the epub, but it should be directly loadable onto the Kobo.
Yes, this is correct. I did this after I got my Mini, downloading a few prior purchases.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that if you have a nook the only places that you can get books for them are Barnsandnobels.com or blacklibrary.com.
You can sideload epubs onto B&N Nook devices. What I didn't like was the limit on the amount of space you could use for sideloaded books. The numbers I recall are that the Nook Simple Touch had 2Gb of storage but no more than 256MB could be used for sideloaded books. One of the Nook tablets had a limit of 1GB out of it's 8 or 16GB of storage. By comparison, the Kobo ereaders don't have any artificial limits on sideloaded books.

As for DRM, B&N seems to support both their own variant and the standard Adobe version so you can download library books and transfer them using ADE.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-06-2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Who needs spell checking when they have a backspace key?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #10
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I have a couple of the Nook STRs. If you have B&N epubs you can remove the DRM with the proper plug-in for Calibre -you need the one that lets you enter the credit card number you used to buy the book on your nook. You can also sideload any clean epubs without any trouble.

DRM is the biggest obstacle to any consumer wanting to buy books wherever they like and use them on any device they may have -it should be standardized so that any epubs will work on any device, otherwise the FTC should declare it invalid and anti-consumer. Would you buy DVDs that only play on one brand of player? How about CDs, or Blu-ray? The only ones that seem to be getting away with such crap are ebook publishers/sellers.

Last edited by TechniSol; 01-06-2013 at 03:25 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
mXb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post

Yes and no. Most companies are using "generic" ADE DRM on their epubs so they are fairly interchangeable. However, B&N uses a different DRM system on their epubs that not all other readers (Kobo included) can accept (likely costs extra licensing $ to Adobe to include it on other readers and that's why they don't). The Nook can accept regular ADE DRM though I think.

Outside of DRM (i.e. when there is no DRM on them), the base epub on these are the same, so it's just the DRM that gets in the way of portability between devices.

The problem I found with Sony was their insistance that I download and install their own DRM software, before buying any books.

I found when I did this it automatically took over all DRM downloads, including public library books if I remember correctly, isolating Adobe's ADE !

This I did not want !!

I tried sending emails to Sony's address as shown to complain, but they were bounced back as "too many hops" ?

So I put things back as they were and crossed Sony off my book store list
Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
mXb
Addict

...it's a shame as they have 1 or 2 nice £0.20 books.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
The problem I found with Sony was their insistance that I download and install their own DRM software, before buying any books.

I found when I did this it automatically took over all DRM downloads, including public library books if I remember correctly, isolating Adobe's ADE !

This I did not want !!

I tried sending emails to Sony's address as shown to complain, but they were bounced back as "too many hops" ?

mXb I use the Sony Reader for PC as my default download program for all Epubs, irrespective of where I buy and whether they have DRM or not, and that includes library books.

But - it's by choice.

When you download a book, say from Kobo, the dialogue box opens and you get the choice as to which program you want to load it into. So, it you want to download it into ADE then that's where you'd choose.

From memory the Sony Reader does populate itself with all the Epubs on your drive when it first installs - but so does for example Picasa. When you initially install that all the jpegs etc get copied into that as well.

I can understand you wanting to choose where your books are listed on your PC - I don't use ADE at all, although I have the account in order to get the ACSM activation required - I just never open ADE on my PC.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

This I did not want !!

You used to need their software to buy any books. They changed that earlier this year and you can buy on the website and download with ADE if you want to instead. No Sony software required.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
mXb
Addict

First of all I would like to say
AAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!

I just spent a few mins replying to both posts above, only to find my login timed out(?), and I lost all I had typed in !

So I will try again....