Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #16
cxu123
cxu123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I've already installed the patch for 3.15. But I want to install Coolreader and / or Koreader, and some kind of filemanager, presumably via the Kobo Start Menu (whatever that is. I'm new to Kobo...) I'm running 3.15 on the Glo HD, so I'm concerned that without precedents I could brick the device.

So it's preferable to back-up the card rather then remove and duplicate it? Will that (almost) guarantee that I can recover if things go bad? And can someone point me to the process? Thanks. Learning here
If you don't remove and duplicate the card, you can only see FAT32 partition of Kobo. The Coolreader will not work for Kobo Glo HD. I had tried, it will freeze and I can not select anything after running the launcher. I have to reset the device using a pencil.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #17
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Okay. It sounds like a factory reset will fix most patches or packages I might apply. Shame Coolreader doesn't work. I guess we'll have to wait a bit.
Advert
Old 05-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #18
lotteryticket
lotteryticket began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip1314 View Post
I picked up a Glo HD today and the switch over to a 32 GB card was painless. I recommend using your fingernails to pry off the back as anything else might do damage.
Thanks for this. What class/speed SD card does the Glo HD come with? I wonder if there would be a noticeable speed improvement using a faster class SD card. I just purchased my Glo HD, btw.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #19
Toony
Toony has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hey guys! I just got my Kobo Glo HD and upgraded it successfully with a 32gb SD Card!

I will not share my .img backup because I already had some books loaded on the reader and its 3,69 GB in size anyway.
If you want to learn how I have done it look here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=3112882

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotteryticket View Post
Thanks for this. What class/speed SD card does the Glo HD come with? I wonder if there would be a noticeable speed improvement using a faster class SD card. I just purchased my Glo HD, btw.
The original Card is a SanDisk 4GB Class 4 so it should only have about 6MB/s write, 17 MB/s read
I replaced it with a SanDisk 32GB Ultra Card that has 17MB/s write and about 36 MB/s read! I have the feeling that the Bookcovers in my collections load much faster now.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony View Post
The original Card is a SanDisk 4GB Class 4 so it should only have about 6MB/s write, 17 MB/s read
I replaced it with a SanDisk 32GB Ultra Card that has 17MB/s write and about 36 MB/s read! I have the feeling that the Bookcovers in my collections load much faster now.
One issue is that quite a few higher class cards have worse small block read/write performance than that measured for lower class cards. One horrible example is the Sony 32GB SD card I recently added to my digital SLR as the secondary card (used for RAW and video). It has excellent large block read/write speeds and sucks at the small block read/write testing using CrystalDiskMark. For my camera, this is fine since I'm writing megabytes at a time. For an ereader where you are reading and writing much smaller data blocks, not so fine.

You can do a search for more information on the issue. A couple of sites to check are:

SD Card performance round-up

SD Strange Results

And a link to some discussion on Mobileread in the Glo Memory Upgrade thread (start around post 16):

Memory Upgrade Guide

I got into the original discussion around SD card speed when I ran into the same issue as Swoozle in the second link -- SD card class ratings seemed to have little to do with performance in my specific setting with faster Class 10 cards turning in poorer performance than a Class 4 card.

On the other hand, Samsung and SanDisk in my limited testing were the two best at keeping small block performance numbers at decent levels. However you are likely to find that testing 4 cards with the same size and class rating by the same manufacturer can give very different results.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-05-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Advert
Old 06-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #21
Cameleon
Cameleon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo HD
Hello , my kobo glo HD is bricked because I tried to install smartmenu without update. After that, it is impossible for me to restore my kobo glo hd. It is possible to send me a .img dump please?
(sorry for my bad english)
Old 06-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #23
quicomsn
quicomsn began at the beginning.

I also bricked my Glo HD... Factory restore doesn't work. Can someone send me the .img dump too, please? Thank you.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #25
F1975
F1975 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO HD
My Glo HD is bricked after updating to the latest firmware. Can someone send me the .img dump please. So I can restore my Glo HD.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:13 AM   #27
antyk70
antyk70 began at the beginning.

I bricked my Glo HD too.
Factory restore doesn't work.
Can someone send me the .img dump too, please?
Thank you.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:28 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:05 AM   #29
masterblaster
masterblaster began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
Kobo GLO hd: Need SD card image

Hello to all,

i hope some is so kind and can help me?
I need an SD card image for my Kobo glo hd, because i have forgott to make an image by my one.

I hope someone can help.

Thank you very much in advance for your support,
Dietmar
Old 09-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent
Closed Thread