Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
png
png began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Help with corner of my screen not being responsive.

Hey, I'd like some advice on fixing my Kobo Glo's touch screen. The screen works everywhere except the lower right corner. The responsiveness of that area wasn't so great to begin with but it's barely working now since I dropped the Glo. =( This happens to be where the 'X' is when closing the dictionary and also interferes with turning the page. When I press that section the Glo seems to register it because it makes the dictionary definition go away, but not the menu bar. So I'm guessing the infrared sensor is still okay. It's just not registering the right spot.

I no longer have warranty for the Glo so I've opened it up and used tape to remove any dust from the screen and the front cover. It helped slightly because it registers properly once in a blue moon. This isn't a deal breaker for me since the problem only comes up when I use the dictionary, but it would be nice if I could fix it. Other than this, I'm really loving the Glo! Any ideas on what else I can try?
png is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Not sure what "used tape to remove any dust from the screen and the front cover" means. The kind of problem that you describe is basically caused by the shiny black IR transparent plastic inside the bezel not being held in exact alignment with the IR emitters and receivers. This most often happens when too many of the bezel's slots have been broken open. Often holding the bezel edge down where the IR beam is emitted or received can allow for a better response. Holding the bezel edge with one hand and poking with the other may let you isolate where the problem is.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
You might try using canned air around the unresponsive corner, making sure you get under the bezel next to the glass. I would have done that before taking it apart in fact.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
png
png began at the beginning.

The corner is responsive if I hold the bezel together. Your right, the the IR seems to be out of alignment. Makes sense since that's probably where it took the hit from the fall. I guess ill use this as a work around as it seems to do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion!
png is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
baochan
Enthusiast
baochan doesn't litterbaochan doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Pyrus Mini
I've found the corners on my Glo stop responding because dust gets trapped between the screen and the black bezel around the edges. Haven't found the best tool for clearing it but usually alternating running a napkin or cloth through the crack with my fingernail and blowing on it clears it enough that the corners start working again.
baochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Any chance of a repair? Either by supergluing the IR plastic or "cementing" it with full strength nail polish remover(acetone) or the like.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Any chance of a repair? Either by supergluing the IR plastic or "cementing" it with full strength nail polish remover(acetone) or the like.
The surfaces are there to do that and, for me, permanently sealing the case would not be a big issue - as I have a hatch in the back of my case which gives me access to the internal uSD card. For most I would think trying a double sided tape might be a better choice.

The IR plastic should not be messed with, just the bezel and case contacting surfaces.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-05-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
joebananas
joebananas began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
You might try using canned air around the unresponsive corner, making sure you get under the bezel next to the glass. I would have done that before taking it apart in fact.
Thanks for the suggestion - the compressed air worked for me
joebananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:40 AM   #9
pleven4ever
pleven4ever began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO AURA H2O, Kobo Glo, Nook ST
I had the same problem, the settings menu couldn't close from the X on the top right, so I needed to power off the device every time, and the trick with the air didn't work out, so finally I've opened my Glo, unscrewed the device from the bezel (4 screws on the bottom+1 on the right) and cleaned the red (IR) surface under the frame carefully with the cotton stick, soaked with my best perfume :-) So now it works and probably smells better than before ;-) If I haven't ordered a brand new H2O from ebay yesterday, I most likely wouldn't have the guts for such a risky business, but now it's all good...So, thank you for helping me to solve this annoying problem.
pleven4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleven4ever View Post
I've opened my Glo, unscrewed the device from the bezel (4 screws on the bottom+1 on the right) and cleaned the red (IR) surface under the frame carefully with the cotton stick, soaked with my best perfume :-)
You actually managed it, that's great...

I have two defective Glos here (bought them this way), one has a broken display but working touch, the other with intact display but completely non-functional touch; switching boards did not restore touch functionality (I was suspecting IR emitter/sensor gone bad). There is nothing wrong with the bezel/IR optic part as I can see...

The bezel is actually glued all around onto the display for me (similar to H2O even though it's not supposed to be waterproof), I did not dare take it off for the device with the intact display, too scared I might damage it in the process. I only need it for development/testing, not actual reading, and touch is optional for that so I'd rather keep the intact display than risk it.

Darn glue every where...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, screen, unresponsive