Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-18-2015, 11:36 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See Markdown Edit is a distraction-free editor for Windows
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #17
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
@PeterT

Is it good by itself?

In a nutshell, do you like it?

PS By the way, more precise infos can be found here: http://markdownedit.com/features and it requires the last .NET Framework.

Last edited by Arios; 11-19-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:41 AM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
@PeterT

Is it good by itself?

In a nutshell, do you like it?

PS By the way, more precise infos can be found here: http://markdownedit.com/features and it requires the last .NET Framework.
Sorry to say I've not tried it; I had just wanted to share the info
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #19
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Many editors support markdown . I use atom. There are some very usefull plugins for markdown, like previews, converting via pandoc and panzer, different markdown flavors highlighting etc. and atoms standard features are impressive too.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
Many editors support markdown . I use atom. There are some very usefull plugins for markdown, like previews, converting via pandoc and panzer, different markdown flavors highlighting etc. and atoms standard features are impressive too.
Atom also has the benefit of working on more than just Windows.

(But no, I don't use it, I like vim.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #21
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I Peter no problema,

Thanks for sharing, this is a nice catch as the app is open source and .NET tends to be open source as well. The features either seems really promising.

What annoys me is to install the new .NET (4.6).

Anyway, if someone has had a chance to test it, I'd like to know a bit more about the app itself and the new .NET.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best markup/markdown for text is HTML tags.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-23-2015 at 08:33 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #23
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best markup/markdown for text is HTML tags.
I would say, the best is the one the writer is most comfortable to use (with the cave eat, that he knows, what he is doing)

Seriously, simple markdown is just html-tags. The most common use case is to write html with it. There are of course extended versions. These one could argue are maybe better to write text than html, because they add semantic syntax. The idea is then to define in the markdown, what something IS, which is then for example interpreted as html. Footnotes and citations for example. Or math (in html you would need for example some embedded java script to render that). Of course you can (and maybe should) use html in the same way. It is just preference in the end.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #24
Arios
A curiosus lector!

I'm sorry crankypants to hijack your post again,

You're right dickloraine.

About markdown, I really like the way John Gruber has worded it:

Quote:
Markdown is not a replacement for HTML, or even close to it. Its syntax is very small, corresponding only to a very small subset of HTML tags. The idea is not to create a syntax that makes it easier to insert HTML tags. In my opinion, HTML tags are already easy to insert. The idea for Markdown is to make it easy to read, write, and edit prose. HTML is a publishing format; Markdown is a writing format. Thus, Markdown’s formatting syntax only addresses issues that can be conveyed in plain text.
(ref. https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax).
By the way, I tried Mike Ward's Markdown Edit (see post #18 and here: http://mike-ward.net/markdownedit/). I can say it is very promising but it is a Windows app exclusively, that works on 7 with no support and some glitches. It uses pandoc and can deal with docx files, pdf.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #25
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android 4.2 Google Play Reader
IMO the Markdown market is for people who are writers, not coders.I.e. Markdown is for people who want to get product out the door with a minimum of fuss and the shortest learning curve. If a person knows neither HTML nor Markdown, and they have to learn one, Markdown would be easier for them, especially the subset that most ereaders support.

And in general, people should go with what they know so there is no learning curve at all.

Phase II of this project would be to compile the .pl program into an EXE file so the user would not have to install Perl at all. For now, the user has to install Perl.

Last edited by crankypants; 12-01-2015 at 11:37 AM.
crankypants is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, perl, software