Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #2626
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Ok what were arrow grease snarls?
It was correct, I just didn't realize we were out.

Kidding. I made it up. But it does sound like one of those Alexa Mondegreens, doesn't it?

(Little known fact: Alexa was Lady Mondegreen's given name.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:58 PM   #2627
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It was correct, I just didn't realize we were out.

Kidding. I made it up. But it does sound like one of those Alexa Mondegreens, doesn't it?

(Little known fact: Alexa was Lady Mondegreen's given name.)
A real one I saw from Google was nauseous nipples. It was supposed to be Noshes and Nibbles.
Or ground turkey cutter for round cookie cutter.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #2628
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Just in time for the holidays, the following Alexa devices are now shipping:

Bluetooth SpeakersPortable Bluetooth Speakers

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-01-2017 at 07:35 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:42 AM   #2629
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon Echo (2nd Gen) Review

Quote:
When the 2nd Generation Amazon Echo was announced, I (somewhat reluctantly) placed my order, even though I had more Alexa devices than I have rooms in my house. Here are my thoughts on the new smart speaker, what you need to know about it, and how it compares to the original Echo.
Quote:
The Echo still has a 2.5-inch woofer inside, but the new model has a smaller 0.6-inch tweeter, while the old one had a 2-inch tweeter. More on that later when I discuss audio quality. Another difference is the new Echo now has a pair of volume buttons on top, instead of a volume ring that turns, like on the old Echo. While I hardly ever control the volume through the physical controls, since it can be done by voice, I do prefer the ring to the buttons.
Quote:
While multiple ways to get audio out of the new Echo is great, I suspect most people will use the Echo’s built-in speakers. The new 2nd generation Echo’s speakers aren’t going to blow you away, but they sound good. If I had to choose between the 1st and 2nd generation Echo based on sound quality alone, I would easily choose the 2nd generation Echo.

The new Echo has a richer and fuller sound with noticeably more base. However, that’s not to say that it outperforms the original Echo in every way. To my ear, the original Echo sounds better with spoken words and a cappella vocals, likely thanks to its larger tweeter, but once the beat drops on a track, the new Echo sounds much better. I still consider the Echo Show to be the best sounding Echo device, but the new Echo 2 is a close second with the Echo 1 a very close third.

Based on the genre of music you listen to, it’s certainly possible that you’d prefer the crisper sound of the Echo 1 over the richer sound of the Echo 2. The difference is really only noticeable when the two devices are listened to back-to-back, so I wouldn’t say its enough of a difference to make or break the device.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #2630
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
My three new second gens arrived yesterday, but as I had other commitments last night I haven't had a chance to set one up yet, so I can't comment on performance. Aesthetically they look much better, I got the charcoal grey fabric and they have a very subdued look so they should fit in nearly any decor. Also being shorter and squatter they don't draw the eye like the shiny towers of gen one do.

In a word more subtle.

As Monkey's quote says "I had (now have) more Alexa devices than I have rooms in my house"
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #2631
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are there lots of folks who REALLY like the dial volume control? Just in case there are: If any one is interested in trading their Gen 2 for my Gen 1, let me know....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #2632
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A 2-inch tweeter with a 2.5-inch woofer?!? No wonder it sounded so horrible to me.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #2633
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

New Spot Deluxe outlet wall mount for Echo Dot is simple and minimalistic

$14.99 -- Spot Deluxe

Quote:
A few months ago I posted about The Spot, which lets you hang an Amazon Echo Dot from its power adapter. The creator of it has just released its successor, The Spot Deluxe, which improves on the concept in numerous ways. The new Spot Deluxe incorporates its own power adapter into the mount to greatly reduce the overall size of the device. It’s easily the most minimalistic outlet mount available. A nice touch is including a dummy ground plug on the included power adapter to improve the mount’s rigidity. This new improved mount also no longer blocks the adjacent outlet, which was a common complaint of the first version. The kit includes the mount, power adapter, and a perfectly sized tiny USB cable, providing everything you need to mount a 2nd Gen Echo Dot to a wall outlet. You can buy The Spot Deluxe for $14.99 from Amazon, which is a very reasonable price, considering it comes with its own power adapter.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #2634
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm guessing users are going to need very tight fitting wall receptacles for those.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #2635
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm guessing users are going to need very tight fitting wall receptacles for those.
...or a roll of duct tape
Old 11-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #2636
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've used my Tap to play audiobooks in my Amazon account, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to use it to play an audiobook I've borrowed with Overdrive. Can anyone here help me out?

Thanks...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #2637
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I've used my Tap to play audiobooks in my Amazon account, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to use it to play an audiobook I've borrowed with Overdrive. Can anyone here help me out?

Thanks...
You can't, unfortunately.

I stream books from OverDrive and other suppliers with a phone or tablet through my Echo devices, if that's a reasonable solution for you.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #2638
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You can't, unfortunately.

I stream books from OverDrive and other suppliers with a phone or tablet through my Echo devices, if that's a reasonable solution for you.
Thanks - so just pair with the phone's bluetooth? Or is there a wifi "casting" method?
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #2639
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Thanks - so just pair with the phone's bluetooth? Or is there a wifi "casting" method?
Just pair your phone with your Tap or any other Bluetooth speaker you have.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-11-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: clarified
Old 11-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #2640
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Thanks...
Use a smartphone with the Overdrive app and just connect via bluetooth.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote