Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Aristée
Aristée began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300 Pocket Edition
Greetings from Saguenay (Quebec, Canada)

Hi all,

I discovered this site while searching for infos on ebook readers. Great site BTW !!

I am still trying to convince myself that I don't need an ebook reader, but it is hard... I read a lot, own a lot of books. I always liked the look of a room filled with bookshelves and looking at a great looking book always incite me to pick it up and read it. And I confess that I am the kind of book lover that like the smell of books...

But, I also travel often for my job, read a lot in bed and as I tend to read fairly big books, it is not that comfortable holding up those books for extended periods. And I really like the way e-ink display looks like. Also, the idea of having lots of book in my pocket to pick up and read whenever I get a chance is quite interesting.

I mostly read novels and essays, but as I play chess at club level, I read a lot of chees books and if I could find those chess books in digital format that would be another big incitative to get an ereader.

As you probably know, there is not a lot of choice in my neck of the wood. The only "in store" available models are the Sony PRS-300 and 600. I had a look on those 2 models side by side in the store, and definitely prefered the 300. It seems to fit better in my hand, and the smaller display doesn't seem to be a problem. And the sharpness of the letters is so much better, without speaking of the glare.

So here it is, I am reading a lot on this forum, trying to decide what I will do. Something that makes me hesitate to jump the fence is the pace at wich new models are hititng the market and the technology improvments. I feat that if I settle myself on one ereader, 3 months later a better one gets out and I regret my move... But who can predict the future...

Aristée
Aristée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Aristée and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Aristée, and Click image for larger version

Name:	purple.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	38087 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR! That's always the problem of early adoption of technology - it's moving so fast there will be something newer along in a few months. But I don't regret jumping in when I did and getting the 505 - it makes my commute so much nicer!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome Aristee!

The Als look good to win the Grey Cup this year, don't they?

In addition to the Sony 300, you might want to consider the jetBook.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Aristée
Aristée began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300 Pocket Edition
Thanks all for your kindness

@GA Russell

Yep, the Als seem to be riding to the top, even if they lost the last one...

I really don't know anything about the jetbook, and there is nowhere I can have a look on it to compare with the Sony ereaders...
Aristée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristée View Post
I really don't know anything about the jetbook, and there is nowhere I can have a look on it to compare with the Sony ereaders...
Aristee, I don't have a jetBook, but I am thinking about getting one soon. The jetBook has its own forum here. The guys there are pretty persuasive about how happy they are to have one.

There is also a relatively new thread in the News forum about the new jetBook Lite with a video. There is also a good YouTube video called "the first jetBook video" or something like that.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
jetBook-Lite video:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59668
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote