Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-01-2023, 08:13 AM   #1
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Thumbs up What's your favorite font to read ebooks in?

As title: do you have a preferred font you use when reading?

Does it matter if it's an e-reader vs. another screen like a full color tablet or monitor?
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:22 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I prefer Bookerly. If that one isn't available, I use another serif choice.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2023, 10:41 AM   #3
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like Atkinson Hyperlegible as sans serif, and Georgia, Literata and Chareink as serif.
Font choice is very personal though. YMMV.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:17 AM   #4
dedeca
Enthusiast
dedeca is on a distinguished road

Device: PW3 and PW5
I really like the font Caecilia Condensed. I tried to extract it from the latest Kindle firmware to use in KOReader, but unfortunately it's not available. If anyone knows a font very similar to it, please let me know.
dedeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:20 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I like Literata Book, which is less padded than regular Literata. I remembered thinking regular Literata had too much space between the lines. Literata Book doesn't have that issue.

Second choice is Bookerly.

Third is Georgia
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2023, 11:26 AM   #6
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I like Literata Book, which is less padded than regular Literata. I remembered thinking regular Literata had too much space between the lines. Literata Book doesn't have that issue.

Second choice is Bookerly.

Third is Georgia
Ooh that looks really nice! I might move to that from my rather odd current choice, which is Quattrocento with double bold (because Quattrocento itself is too thin for a screen with the Kindle's dot pitch). The double bold does do a number on anything in any other font in the same book...
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:26 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I use LexiaDama only, on both of my Kobos. In the past I've also used CharisSIL Modified Larger and DejaVu Serif Eink, but not these days.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:48 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've changed the font I use. I used to use ChareInk, but I've changed to a different font. The font I now use is ChareInk6SP. It's now based on Charis SIL version 6. Is has a smaller space then the regular ChareInk6.

It looks good when used with full justification and there are less hyphens needed with ePub for those that don't care much for hyphenation.

ChareInk6 and ChareInk6SP can be had at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056

CareInk6SP is excellent for use with a Kindle and KF8 since KF8 has no hyphenation. ChareInk6 and ChareInk6SP have reduced line height for less space between lines and more text per screen.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-01-2023 at 11:51 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:36 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've changed the font I use. I used to use ChareInk, but I've changed to a different font. The font I now use is ChareInk6SP. It's now based on Charis SIL version 6. Is has a smaller space then the regular ChareInk6.

It looks good when used with full justification and there are less hyphens needed with ePub for those that don't care much for hyphenation.

ChareInk6 and ChareInk6SP can be had at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056

CareInk6SP is excellent for use with a Kindle and KF8 since KF8 has no hyphenation. ChareInk6 and ChareInk6SP have reduced line height for less space between lines and more text per screen.
Thank you. I'll give the new SP a whirl.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:17 PM   #10
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I use Georgia.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:25 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I am a long time Bookerly person. I did try Ember for a couple of months when I got a Scribe. I've tried custom fonts before but somehow they don't stick.

Finding something I like better seems quixotic to me, it takes a little time at least to try out even one, and that is assuming I can even sense some perceptible 'improvement'. Bookerly is good enough, it is hard to imagine something that I could regard as more than good enough, or how it would be better.

That said, having such uniformity probably isn't helpful for memory/comprehension. It is probably better to have some variation so that different books take on different character.

This is something that they try to do with print books, though I don't know if there's it amounts to any more than a book designer's opinion (and the regard publishers have for that opinion) about what 'works' for a given book.

But short of embedding there's no reading system I know if that lets you pin the font for a book to one of those available. (KOReader would have it if anything does, but if it's a feature I cannot find it.)

Last edited by tomsem; 06-01-2023 at 06:30 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:30 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've tried Bookerly. But it's meh! It's a slab serif and they are (overall) ugly fonts to use for the base reading font. I cannot understand why some people like a slab serif when reading.

getting rid of slab serifs from the Kindle would help make the Kindle better then it is. Too many people read with the default Bookerly not knowing they could be reading better with a different serif font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:43 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

I never warmed up to Bookerly, even when I still read exclusively on Kindles. Just not my cup of tea. None of the default fonts on any ereader have really suited me.

LexiaDama feels just right for me. I'm not saying it's beautiful or objectively better than others; it isn't. It's just the right font for me personally. There are others that have come close, and I really like the latest ChareInk. Perhaps I will switch to it in the future.

Some people don't really care about fonts at all; others switch between different fonts frequently; and still others discover a favorite and stick with it for a very long time.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:58 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I've tried Bookerly. But it's meh! It's a slab serif and they are (overall) ugly fonts to use for the base reading font. I cannot understand why some people like a slab serif when reading.

getting rid of slab serifs from the Kindle would help make the Kindle better then it is. Too many people read with the default Bookerly not knowing they could be reading better with a different serif font.
That is your opinion, and I won't try to argue you out of it. Maybe I even agree with you. There are slab serif advocates: I am not one.

It's my lazy choice out of what is available, it is comfortable for me, and I have no interest in exploring all of font space in the search for something better. I wouldn't know when I'd found it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:06 PM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:

You've a marvelous way of insulting folks, you know that? It's a real talent.

I've tried many different fonts, and have at one point added some to a Kindle that were supposed to help me "read better."

I went back to Bookerly. My vision along with the the other settings I use for line spacing etc. result in Bookerly being my preferred font. It works for me. Isn't that what matters?

If that makes me somehow a low brow reader, then so be it. Your "opinions" are just that. Opinions.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite, favorite font, font