Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-25-2023, 06:46 PM   #1
BecDiggity
BecDiggity began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2, Libra 2
Transferring Books to new Kobo

I have a replacement Kobo Libra 2 (The last one had a sudden database problem and bricked) and want to move my Calibre library over to it. I have 2 questions.

1. Does it matter if I move my whole library over in one go or in smaller groups? I like to merge series together so my biggest file is 124.2 mb (Sci-Fi/Fantasy series) and I have just under 800 book files. I don't want to potentially overload the Kobo. Am I overthinking things and should just send everything at once, or in smaller groups maybe 100 at a time?

2. When I transferred books to my last Kobo, it put all the author folders into the first/main Kobo folder. Is there a way to have them go into a 'books' folder or should I just leave it as is?

Thanks
BecDiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:21 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The folder is partially controlled by the send to device template, so just edit the path (while the device is connected) by clicking configure device.
This is mine with books folder added

books\{authors}\{series_index:0>2s}-/{title}

Imho do small batches ~20 and eject between, so the Kobo can process thos (and if it fails, you only need to do a little recover instead ). Do you eat a whole cake in one bite? Nope, you would choke. same for your reader

Last edited by theducks; 04-25-2023 at 08:23 PM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2023, 08:31 PM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Kobo is good about having the display tell you when it’s finished transferring the files. My PC tells me it’s safe to eject, but I never disconnect until I see that the Kobo has completed the transfer. Disconnecting the reader from the PC too quickly might cause some files to be corrupted.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:34 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Kobo is good about having the display tell you when it’s finished transferring the files. My PC tells me it’s safe to eject, but I never disconnect until I see that the Kobo has completed the transfer. Disconnecting the reader from the PC too quickly might cause some files to be corrupted.
AMEN
There is a delay after the message, and Kobo processes the load. WAIT
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:35 PM   #5
BecDiggity
BecDiggity began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2, Libra 2
Thank you both so much! I usually *don't* wait after the 'safe to eject' message but I'll be sure to do that from now on.
BecDiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert